World Britain betrayed as hated EU treaty becomes law

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
THE last hope of blocking a new European constitution was snuffed out last night - the final kick in the teeth after Labour's betrayal of Britain. The Czech Republic became the last EU nation to sign the Lisbon Treaty, which will now become law.

Gordon Brown's Labour broke a promise to give 60million Britons a say on it.
Now it's too late as we are dragged screaming into a vastly more powerful European Union yesterday.

The last remaining opposition to the new EU constitution ended when Czech president Vaclav Klaus was forced to sign the Lisbon Treaty. His reluctant endorsement meant the document has been ratified by all 27 EU states and will become as good as LAW on December 1.

Gordon Brown - a key element of a Labour Government that reneged on its promise to hold a referendum on the treaty - hailed the move as "an important and historic step for all of Europe".

-------
I daresay I am not the only one who feels relentless anger at Gordon Brown right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another reason for us to hate Gordon Brown.

I just want to quote Romek for a second :p

Romek said:
What's the difference between Adolf Hitler and Gordon Brown?

-- Hitler was voted into power.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
From what I understand, it seems the EU countries are coming under a single leader, much like the US.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
From what I understand, it seems the EU countries are coming under a single leader, much like the US.
The difference is that the ones in power in the EU isn't elected by the people. Roughly there are two deciding organs in the EU that are supposed to agree with each other before a decision can be made. One of these groups is elected by the people, the other one is not (afaik it's kinda appointed by the member states but the people have no say about this). With the new constitution the non-elected group grows in power and furthermore it can overrule any legalisation made in any of the member states and also make laws on its own.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What exactly happened?

I read the article but I still don't understand the whole complexity behind this. It seems like they aren't telling everything in this article.

What did Gordon Brown do in this? The word "Betrayal" doesn't tell me much.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
It's the US Congress, just w/ the Senate having more power.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
It's the US Congress, just w/ the Senate having more power.

Well technically the Senate does have more power and responsibility, but no the Senators in the Senate are still voted upon by the people, so not exactly.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
In the Labour election manifesto for 2005, Tony Blair promised the people of Great Britain a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty. When Gordon Brown took over from Blair in 2007 - completely unelected - he went back on this promise and signed it anyway, knowing full well that the vast majority would have said No.

You can clearly see the totalitarian nature of this, the way they put the vote to Ireland a second time after they already said no, so that they would vote yes instead, and the way they forced the Czech Republic to sign too. The so-called EU "President" is not elected by the people of Europe as the President of the US is elected by the people; we have no say, and we concede many of our sovereign powers to Brussels.

And the next problem this makes is that the main opposition party - the Conservatives - have been forced to go back on their own promise of a referendum because the Lisbon Treaty is now unstoppable; and it has created some turmoil within the party, weakening their chances at the next election. Even if Labour are defeated, the next party is going to have such a clear-up on their hands that the British people are unlikely to give them too much of a chance.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
The difference is that the ones in power in the EU isn't elected by the people. Roughly there are two deciding organs in the EU that are supposed to agree with each other before a decision can be made. One of these groups is elected by the people, the other one is not (afaik it's kinda appointed by the member states but the people have no say about this). With the new constitution the non-elected group grows in power and furthermore it can overrule any legalisation made in any of the member states and also make laws on its own.

And that basically means that we are screwed now, right?
The EU will probably get rid of our beloved snus as they have been trying to do for years:(

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
BAD PUN ALERT!

But millions of Britons - still smarting at being cheated out of having a say - felt we are not joining the Euro Champions League, but the CHUMPIONS League.

But man, that stinks for Europeans. Zeitgeist is coming true! :thdown:

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
That is bad.
EU isn't supposed to make laws that people don't agree on, even if it's just the people of a single country.
EU is too far away from the people imo. They make decisions the people don't like.

Hope this won't go further :/

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Not like Britain had anything better planned for their people.

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score
Silly biased Sun article, I don't know why you post them. The Lisbon Treaty is great.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Silly biased Sun article, I don't know why you post them. The Lisbon Treaty is great.
I think you should remember that this reflects the general feeling of the vast majority in Britain. I could have linked from almost any major newspaper source in the UK and they all said something similiar.
Not like Britain had anything better planned for their people.
In case you hadn't noticed, this government has never done anything good for this country. They have fucked up left right and centre, and had we had a decent party running the show we wouldn't be in this mess.

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
What exactly happened?

I read the article but I still don't understand the whole complexity behind this. It seems like they aren't telling everything in this article.

It's a biased article, that's why. :p

Jackal

Reaction score
I think you should remember that this reflects the general feeling of the vast majority in Britain. I could have linked from almost any major newspaper source in the UK and they all said something similiar.

I'll just pull a few links out.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/03/lisbon-treaty-vaclav-klaus-ratified

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...Czech-court-removes-hurdle-Lisbon-Treaty.html - I'd say the comments are more interesting than the article is. The majority of the comments and people voting up comments seem to support an anti-EU stance, however they also gave a +32 rating to a comment saying "The only saviour to stop immigration and the EU is the B.N.P!". Silly right-wingers. :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...av-Klaus-signs-EU-Lisbon-Treaty-into-law.html

None of these newspapers are exactly having a fit over the Lisbon Treaty. I expect the Sun to have a fit because thats what they do to sell newspapers, and I'm slightly surprised that the Daily Mail hasn't gone the same way.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and if EU gets more powerfull we Swiss people are screwed and they can force us to join the EU :<

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
I'd say the comments are more interesting than the article is. The majority of the comments and people voting up comments seem to support an anti-EU stance, however they also gave a +32 rating to a comment saying "The only saviour to stop immigration and the EU is the B.N.P!". Silly right-wingers.
The best rated one reads: "Farewell to democracy, and a big farewell to freedom. We are now all to be governed as in Orwell's book 1984. Thought police everywhere." All the negative comments are labouring under the delusion that it is benefitial.
It isn't. It is simply the EU Constitution - the one that was thrown out several years ago after No votes from France and Holland - with a different name, rewritten in gibberish so that it sounds better than it actually is.

The main reason The Sun is so up in arms about it is that it supported Labour, and had done for over a decade, when Labour were re-elected in 2005. When Brown signed away our sovereignity in 2007, without consulting the people as had been promised, there was quite rightly uproar. Recently The Sun switched its support to Conservative, so its reaction is to be expected.

Just out of curiousity, which country do you live in that will be affected by this?
Oh yeah, and if EU gets more powerfull we Swiss people are screwed and they can force us to join the EU :<
And you'll be able to kiss your neutrality goodbye, unfortunately.

Jackal

Reaction score
The best rated one reads: "Farewell to democracy, and a big farewell to freedom. We are now all to be governed as in Orwell's book 1984. Thought police everywhere." All the negative comments are labouring under the delusion that it is benefitial.
It isn't. It is simply the EU Constitution - the one that was thrown out several years ago after No votes from France and Holland - with a different name, rewritten in gibberish so that it sounds better than it actually is.

The main reason The Sun is so up in arms about it is that it supported Labour, and had done for over a decade, when Labour were re-elected in 2005. When Brown signed away our sovereignity in 2007, without consulting the people as had been promised, there was quite rightly uproar. Recently The Sun switched its support to Conservative, so its reaction is to be expected.

Just out of curiousity, which country do you live in that will be affected by this?

And you'll be able to kiss your neutrality goodbye, unfortunately.

Funnily enough, I'm living in the same country as you do. You should know that the Sun generally posts shit like this as they've done for decades. You should also not be so naive as to think that politicians keep their promises.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.