Sci/Tech British Police Duped by LulzSec Into Arresting the Wrong Guy

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Earlier today the blogosphere lit up with news that "Topiary" a key hacker from Anonymous and LulzSec was arrested. Topiary, along with "Sabu", was viewed as a LulzSec "chief", instrumental in orchestrating the group's many sophisticated attacks. But all may not be as it seems.

I. The Arrest

If the arrested man was indeed LulzSec's Topiary, he couldn't have picked a much more perfect lair. Much like a James Bond villain, the alleged hacker was arrested on a remote island -- one of the Shetland Islands, off the north coast of Britain's mainland.

Police transported the 19-year-old suspect to central-London, for interrogation. Police say they're also searching for a 17-year-old related to the case in Lincolnshire, a eastern province of the mainland.

Police characterized the arrest as a "pre-planned, intelligence-led operation".

Topiary's Twitter account fell silent about a week ago, and many posts were deleted from it. The sole remaining post, dating to July 21, played Medger Ever's iconic quote "You can not kill an idea", stating, "You cannot arrest an idea."

To add to the picture, LulzSecurity's website has been down on and off for the last few weeks, being on life-support thanks to a CloudFlare cached copy.

Given these details and the UK government's insistence they had nabbed their man, the media jumped into a fervor. And the public gobbled it up, as they had long expected LulzSec's brass to be apprehended and redirected towards a local penitentiary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vellu

Real eyes realize real lies.
Reaction score
Hackers are the most cunning things out there, right?

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Cunning!!!
If only I'm 1/2 as smart as them...

Nifty little Devils !

But reading this article, I realize how exploitable the anonymity on the internet is.
Damn people just don't know the line between prank and crime anymore.

Honestly speaking, I think a sensitization course on Human Rights and Consequences would be better than some prison sentence, since I think that manners are more important towards one another than some random punishment for an act of revenge.
Respect your own kin and treat them the way you want them to treat you.

Just look at the majority of juveniles today ._.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
LulzSec are probably well aware that they are committing crimes.

From what I understood, some troll annoyed them, so they stole his identity and prank'd him; those pranks were some illegal acts meant to harm that person, but they did not bring Lulzsec any Profit.

Well, I'm not sure if it brought them profit, because the Article just stated that they did "some" illegal shit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.