Broken Realms ORPG help

GOGETIA

Reaction score
Im making a map called Broken Realms ORPG and its almost finished i just need the save/load trigger and mabye some terrain and hero work. If you could play the map i made and post any tips or feedback here that would be great :) Okay i tihnk i got the attachment to work

History: Well there isnt much history this is my first map and this is the first version of it so ill post more when i make more versions of it
Heroes: i made lots of heroes i guess that could be a problem with save/load codes so i might delete some of them but for the moment while its still more of an rpg without a save/load code ill leave it how it is. The heroes are all from the game i just renamed them and i gave custom abilities to 2 of them. There is a secret character for me and there is another secret hero just for testing to i can kill stuff easily. Thats basically it for info about heroes.
Map: The map is kinda small only 196 by 196 i believe and only a small part of that area is playable since its still a rough cut and needs some more stuff before i add more to the map.
Terrain: The terrain is kinda terrible without much to say about it.
Triggers: so far im pretty proud of my triggers. I made one for each hero (did i mention there are lots of heroes?). I made a creep and hero respawn. The only one trigger that i need, well i guess its a lot of triggers is the save/load system. And i guess mabye a hero tavern but thats not completely nessecary at the moment. I still need to fix my trigger leaks

Thats basically it for now ill post more when i get feedback and upgrade the map

Okay i uploaded the newer version it still needs lots of work but its up to date now

Attachments

• wc map.w3x
    309.7 KB · Views: 269

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
Hi there, I might test it later when i get time, but for now you should consider upgrading your thread... post some screenshots, a wall of text including info about heroes, gameplay - a history?
something that makes me want to download the map, a title and a text which tells me it's nearly done is not much to lure me.

GOGETIA

Reaction score
how exactly do i add screen shots? Im new to this site and when i click insert image it says put in a url but i dont need that i just need to add stuff from some folders

There i added lots of stuff to the post but i still cant figure out screen shots

X-maul

Reaction score
the easiest way, and the way i do it:p is to upload the pictures here or a similar site, and then post the pictures like [IMG.]PICTURE URL[/IMG.] (without the . )

GOGETIA

Reaction score
Yes i did actually i just dont understand any of that stuff... its all variables and integers and stuff that i just dont understand

X-maul

Reaction score
Yes i did actually i just dont understand any of that stuff... its all variables and integers and stuff that i just dont understand

which is stuff needed for a save/load system...

If you dont want to use variables you wont be able to use more than vary basic triggering:(

Whoareyou.

Reaction score
I have a save/load trigger somewhere in a map of mine but it'll take a long time to get the variables in place in ur map :(

X-maul

Reaction score
I've just taken a fast look at your map, and well - ypu have to read some tutotrials for triggering and memory leaks - all your triggers leaks (as far as I could see by the skimming) and there is some glitches = you can remove trees by using Force of Trees (keeper of the groove) and clear yourself a path for whatever reason you might want.

For this being your first map it's good:thup:
But it lacks of content, and in my opinion you should consider making this an arena instead of an RPG - It looks more like some kind of arena to me at the moment, + that an RPG requires more triggering skills to create - an arena only needs some very basic triggers to work, and then you can focus more on content (which this (again) lacks a lot.

GOGETIA

Reaction score
okay whats a trigger leak? to me all those triggers are pretty airtight i mean they are pretty specific
Ill remove keeper of the grove thanks for that or just change his spells but i still need to keep making this map im doing it for a contest in my clan and not many people are doing it but i need to make mine best and its very specificly supposed to be an orpg
I will look at the tuts and i will start to create an arena but i have to keep making this

o btw thanks for the feedback

X-maul

Reaction score
A memory leak AKA a leak is when you call a function in the trigger editor (you do that with nearly all actions) then some of them (Points, Groups, Regions, Special Effects and Strings) needs to be cleared afterward othervise they will create a memory leak which will make the game lag.

Look at it as if you need to wash the dishes after you use them ;)

Here is a tutorial for leaks:
Memory Leak Tutorial
By - Rad

GOGETIA

Reaction score
Okay i uploaded the new map and it still needs lots of work (models, fixing trigger leaks, terraining etc.) but i think its about as good as i can get it without a team.

Remember if you want to be on the team post a message here saying what you can do: terraining, triggering, making/importing models (my cps a little screwey with models), testing, and other miscellanious stuff

If you want to look at the new map go to the first post and download the map called wc map (it has a dif name i just uploaded it with that name) play it in your world editor and check it out. :thup:

GOGETIA

Reaction score
erm.... look up to post 13?

I mentioned all that i need help with but i still need help with lots of stuff i didnt mention. If you can do anything and you want to help post here

X-maul

Reaction score
Well, the thing is.. I dont want to jump on a project I'm not sure will be succesfull or atleast end up with a somehow playable map.
And as it is now, this project does not look like it's going to go anywhere. An RPG needs a storyline and a setup with hero concepts (or characters), and thats just for an instance, there could be much more than that.

I'm not saying that you should rewrite the The Lord of the Rings, but you must have thought of something when you thought of making an RPG? :eek:

I'm not trying to be demotivational, I'm just giving constructive critics.

GOGETIA

Reaction score
Well obviously i have some ideas for storyline and such but i kinda want to have a working map that could actually be playable before i skip way to far ahead to working on stuff that wont even matter for a while

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.