BSOD, now windows 7 refuses to boot

jonas

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Out of the blue (no pun intended) BSOD with message "memory_management".
Since then, windows doesn't boot in normal mode. Safe mode works fine. Virus scanner found nothing bad.

My event log says that the performance of my processors (intel i5 mobile) have been limited shortly before the BSOD:

The speed of processor 2 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 20588 seconds since the last report.​

Nothing else before the BSOD (nothing noteworthy anyways).
After the BSOD, I ran windows memory diagnostics but I can't find any results. Since then I get the following error every couple of minutes in the event log:

The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Try going into Device Manager, Non-Plug and Play Drivers, and enable NetBIOS over Tcpip.

jonas

Reaction score
In the device manager, I get: "This device is working properly."

I have also changed the setting of my internet connection. I'll reboot now.

jonas

Reaction score
That didn't do it. The computer also turns itself off within seconds, before displaying the bios screen even.

jonas

Reaction score
Here are the intestines of the computer in question. I anticipated a heat problem, but there is no dust

Attachments

• 1464611658803-1552958980.jpg
    1464611658803-1552958980.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 404

Varine

Reaction score
Have you tried the basic shit already? Repair installation and what not? Has the processor otherwise been slow?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you tried removing the hard drive with your operating system and switching it out for a different hard drive? This way you can find out if it is a hardware problem or not.
If it is a software problem I would simply recommend saving everything important to a different computer and re-installing windows. Trying to "repair" windows has never worked in any way for me or anybody I know.

jonas

Reaction score
Have you tried the basic shit already? Repair installation and what not? Has the processor otherwise been slow?

Yes I have and no not noticeably. Internet has been acting up a bit and it went pretty warm a couple of times.

Varine

Reaction score
Repair installations have solved stuff for me sometimes. At least for a little bit. Do you get an actual error number, like 7001 on BSOD? Or is it not booting at all now?

jonas

Reaction score
Repair installations have solved stuff for me sometimes. At least for a little bit. Do you get an actual error number, like 7001 on BSOD? Or is it not booting at all now?

I only got a single BSOD, then I could only log into safe mode. If I would try to boot windows normally, the screen would go black (but lit) a few seconds into the booting process, and the machine would keep being "on" (fans running, screen lit, but black).
Now the computer doesn't even get past BIOS before shutting itself off.

Varine

Reaction score
Sounds a memory or hard drive problem to me, but then again I suck with hardware. I think Acc has the simplest solution of try a working hard drive in it and ideally swapping RAM, and going on from there.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, swap parts out one at a time. You dont even need to replace them, your BIOS should be able to start even without any RAM installed. (<- bullshit)

Last edited:

jonas

Reaction score
I'll try, thanks. I don't see how an x86 machine can show the BIOS UI without RAM, but I'll let you surprise me.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Huh, yeah, seems it does need it most of the time. I know somebody who got one of those new high tech fancy schmancy motherboards. It has a BIOS with build in mouse support, browser, etc. Those overengineered monsters.
However, he gets a simple minimal BIOS without RAM installed but I guess this is only for those expensive motherfuckers.

Varine

Reaction score
those mobos have enough to boot bios, but you aren't getting any further. You might have a bus failure and need a motherboard.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.