~Buffs!?

Kosire

Reaction score
How can I make abilities give units buffs passively if they aren't an aura ability.
i.e. Evasion giving a buff at all times.

otherwise, how do I make it so that you can add an ability, but the icon wont show up in the hero. Thus giving an invisible aura to grant the buff.

Galdiuz

Creator of Photon Command
Reaction score
To hide an icon, put the spell in a spellbook, give the spellbook to your unit and then disable the spellbook with triggers.

Seprest

Reaction score
Do you mean the icon under the "status" window of the hero?

Or as in the icon on the button?

Your post isn't very specific, do you mean an aura or a passive ability affecting oneself?

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> How can I make abilities give units buffs passively...

There is no possible way of making a normal ability to become aura-like ability.

> And this will still give him the aura, but not show the icon?

Yes, if the ability is an aura ability. Meaning if you hide Endurance Aura in a Spell Book, the icon doesn't appear on the unit with that ability, but the units around it still gains aura from that unit.

Kosire

Reaction score
Well I'm unaware of how to use spellbooks. Can I add abilities into spellbooks mid-game? or does it have to be on his ability list?

Seprest

Reaction score
Maybe explaining why you don't want the "aura" to be an aura ability will present a workaround :)

Spellbooks are items, so you can acquire them midgame by any means you can normally recieve an item. The spellbook has a mock 'use' ability, when you click it, it opens a window over your heros normal bars and has a set of new abilities, passive abilities + auras can be in here and act like normal. Activated abilities that are in there, such as chain lightning, will need to be accessed by opening the spellbook and clicking the ability.

To give you an example of what we mean:

The spellbook has the ability BASH, you use triggers to diable the spellbook item itself, you have the ability bash while you still technically have that spellbook. You don't see the book, or the icon crouded in on your heros normal action bar.

The spellbook doesn't give the ability/buff, the spellbook contains the ability.

==ABOUT AURAS==

If an aura is affecting a unit, it will show that it is buffing them!

Kosire

Reaction score
Maybe explaining why you don't want the "aura" to be an aura ability will present a workaround :)

Spellbooks are items, so you can acquire them midgame by any means you can normally recieve an item.

To give you an example of what we mean:

The spellbook has the ability BASH, you use triggers to diable the spellbook item itself, you have the ability bash while you still technically have that spellbook. You don't see the book, or the icon crouded in on your heros normal action bar.

The spellbook doesn't give the ability, the spellbook CONTAIN the ability

All I want is for a buff to show up, but no icon to show up. is the baseline of it.

Seprest

Reaction score
All I want is for a buff to show up, but no icon to show up. is the baseline of it.

Uggggggg

-When you say "all I want is for a buff to show up" , do you mean you just want the buff to BUFF things?
-When you say "no icon to show up" will setting the icon to "NONE", and giving it nothing on the tooltip not simply suffice???

Remember, buff = the effect basically, these will appear under the status pane of the unit - if you are refering things you see next the move/attack buttons, those are ABILITY ICONS.

So plz clarify, do you want the unit to have a buff but not show it under the status pane of the unit?

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
Just in case you're still unsure, here's an example:

Give a unit a Spell Book (make it a 'Unit ability') and rename the Spell Book AbilityX.

In the Spell Book, add in Endurance Aura.

Then set this trigger:
Code:
Event
 Map Initialization
Condition
Actions
 Player group - Pick (All players) and do multiple action
  Loop - Actions
   Player - Disable AbilityX for (Picked player)

That's all.

> ...simply suffice???

Not really. The green icon will appear.

Kosire

Reaction score
I did the spellbook thing. but when the book is disabled, yes the aura still is in effect. but the buff that I want to be visible, is not visible.

Kosire

Reaction score
Uggggggg

-When you say "all I want is for a buff to show up" , do you mean you just want the buff to BUFF things?
-When you say "no icon to show up" will setting the icon to "NONE", and giving it nothing on the tooltip not simply suffice???

Remember, buff = the effect basically, these will appear under the status pane of the unit - if you are refering things you see next the move/attack buttons, those are ABILITY ICONS.

So plz clarify, do you want the unit to have a buff but not show it under the status pane of the unit?

Ok, I'm going to clarify as much as I can. In any way possible; I want to make a buff show up in the status pane of the unit, I don't want the buff to buff anything, only show up. And i want NOTHING to show up in the ABILITY ICONS.
Basically, I dont want it to affect the hero in any way except for I want a buff to be displayed, giving information

---Sorry for double post, went to quote meant to copy paste and edit

Seprest

Reaction score
I did the spellbook thing. but when the book is disabled, yes the aura still is in effect. but the buff that I want to be visible, is not visible.

What buff do you want to be visible? the aura buff you are giving off?

The way to do it would be to:

will setting the icon to "NONE", and giving it nothing on the tooltip not simply suffice???

What vypur85 said would work too, the green icon should appear if your book is giving the aura and you hide the book item or ability by disabling it.

With what we are saying the results should be:
-no icon at all will be shown in the ability pane
-the buff will be displayed in the status pane, giving info as you said.

How does that differ from what you want?

PS: Make sure you read the tutorial on spellbook, make sure you are putting abilities in, not giving the book buffs or it's own abilities. The only point of the book is to hide the abilties by not having them on your normal ability pane. Remember, the spellbook is just an ability that does not give the buffs itself, it just hold buffs. The whole spellbook thing itself is all coded behind the scenes by blizzard. All YOU have to know is to add spells into the Data – Spell List field, change the icon of the ability to your liking, and viola, you have a second ability pane!

Kosire

Reaction score

I want the buff that the spellbook aura gives off to be visible.

Setting the icon to none and tooltips to empty gives a green box and an empty tooltip window

What vypur85 said would work too, the green icon should appear if your book is giving the aura and you hide the book item or ability by disabling it.

With what we are saying the results should be:
-no icon at all will be shown in the ability pane
-the buff will be displayed in the status pane, giving info as you said.

How does that differ from what you want?

PS: Make sure you read the tutorial on spellbook, make sure you are putting abilities in, not giving the book buffs or it's own abilities. The only point of the book is to hide the abilties by not having them on your normal ability pane.

Yes I put the ability in the books spell list. it gaev me the aura, while hiding the book. i know this because the endurance auras art model thing was around the units feet. However, the buff was not displayed.

Seprest

Reaction score
Hmmmmmm

that is odd

I would have thought that if the spell effect was showing on it, then the status pane would HAVE to show the unit being affected by something.

I have never disabled a spellbook on a unit before in one of my maps, so I don't know exactly what will happen. I assumed that if you 'had' the buff, it would be shown in the status pane. :banghead:

Time to test stuff >.<
Could you check if the endurance aura is ACTUALLY buffing the target by seeing if the attack/movement speed is in the 'green'? <--- Do this
Check if friendly units around the unit with the aura gain the buff in their status pain. <--- Do This

Kosire

Reaction score
Hmmmmmm

that is odd

I would have thought that if the spell effect was showing on it, then the status pane would HAVE to show the unit being affected by something.

Could you check if the endurance aura is ACTUALLY buffing the target by seeing if the attack/movement speed is in the 'green'? <--- Do this

I have never disabled a spellbook on a unit before in one of my maps, so I don't know exactly what will happen. I assumed that if you 'had' the buff, it would be shown in the status pane. :banghead:

Ok. Um. I'm just gonna explain whats happening, cuz I have NO idea how its happening.
So I buy this item in the shop I have made that grants an ability then removes the item, that ive had but anyway
when i buy the item i get the aura art and everything and no movement speed increases. so far im in testing so my way to get out of this item buying place is caht message "go" that moves unit instantly to a temp region outside of the "town". after i do this, the movement speed increases and the buff appears. I haev no idea why it would trigger only after i leave, the only difference I could think of is that in town every unit is "Invulnerable" and when you leave your "Vulnerable".
Either way, I suppose this works.

Seprest

Reaction score
Don't panic :cool:
If the art wasn't removed then some part of the game isn't getting the memo to stop displaying it. I cirtainly don't know everything about this stuff, but maybe disabling the spell book just isn't going to work. Obviosuly some parts of the abilities in the spellbook are tied directly to the spellbook ability, it's odd that the artwork stays but the buff disapears.

Way over my head.

Maybe vypur85 has some suggestions, if he is still watching this thread.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.