Most Respected Former Admin
Reaction score
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
$129.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$109.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
$99.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ
$84.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231145
DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
$129.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136043
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400
$189.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
$26.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

Subtotal: $771.93

So this is what I have so far, I'm going to be using a 7900GT I already have on my old desktop.
I'm probably going to hold off purchasing a video card for another generation.
Any suggestions, recommendations, comments are appreciated!

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
You may want to look for a P45 mainboard instead of a P35 one, the main advantage being PCIe 2.0 x16 as well as the other "useful" things a new generation offers, such as more SATA and USB ports.

If you don't count yourself to the "power gamers", the configuration is fine. Otherwise, CL4 RAM and an SLI-enabled mainboard are a "must". :D

Cilla

is watching you! Ahh, fresh meat!
Reaction score
So this is what I have so far, I'm going to be using a 7900GT I already have on my old desktop.
I'm probably going to hold off purchasing a video card for another generation.

If you don't plan to waste your money on a SLI-System,
the PSU you planned to buy is kinda oversized.
500-550W should be enough.

Good choice on the WD-HDD.

I don't know much about the CPU Cooler, I guess it is okay,
but you could also buy the boxed model of the CPU and spare a few $.

Personally I don't like the Antec cases, Lian Li is the best you can get, :p
but that's not really essential.

Reaction score
Very good pickings Sir.

If you are mostly going for gaming, these products looks like it is, I suggest stepping up to an 8800GT 512mb. They are cheap after Mail in Rebate.

The AF7 is what I have and keeps my Overclocked CPU at 30C idle and 49C Load Max. It also comes with thermal paste on it, which will save you $10 and it works really good.

It might cool lower because on mine, I accidentally lifted it off the cpu and all the thermal paste messed up so My temps might be higher then some.

Ilendil

Reaction score
You may want to look for a P45 mainboard instead of a P35 one, the main advantage being PCIe 2.0 x16 as well as the other "useful" things a new generation offers, such as more SATA and USB ports.

If you don't count yourself to the "power gamers", the configuration is fine. Otherwise, CL4 RAM and an SLI-enabled mainboard are a "must". :D
If I went for a P45 motherboard, I would expect them to cost upwards of $250.
Even then, the newest model aren't always worth having as they can often have problems. I'm not even sure if PCI-E 2.0 is worth it?
Having that small boost for a lower latency RAM is also extra money that is not worth spending.
Not to mention every time I've bought an SLI motherboard I have never even used it.

What games do you plan on playing with this?
Just some general games, right now I only have an Athlon 64 3200+ and 1GB RAM so it would be a definite improvement.

If you don't plan to waste your money on a SLI-System,
the PSU you planned to buy is kinda oversized.
500-550W should be enough.

Good choice on the WD-HDD.

I don't know much about the CPU Cooler, I guess it is okay,
but you could also buy the boxed model of the CPU and spare a few $.

Personally I don't like the Antec cases, Lian Li is the best you can get, :p
but that's not really essential.
I haven't really looked into PSUs so any recommendations?
The one I am buying is the retail version, so it does have an included fan/heatsink.
And regarding the case, Lian Li is just a brand name that everyone seems to like but hasn't given me any solid reasons, I just want a generic and reliable case and I don't care if thousands of other people have it.

Very good pickings Sir.

If you are mostly going for gaming, these products looks like it is, I suggest stepping up to an 8800GT 512mb. They are cheap after Mail in Rebate.

The AF7 is what I have and keeps my Overclocked CPU at 30C idle and 49C Load Max. It also comes with thermal paste on it, which will save you $10 and it works really good.

It might cool lower because on mine, I accidentally lifted it off the cpu and all the thermal paste messed up so My temps might be higher then some.
I already have the 7900GT.

Ilendil

Reaction score
Here's actually a really good analogy to PCI-E 2.0:
I posted a link for you in your mobo thread: PCIe 2.0 dictates twice the throughput of 1.1. 2.0 is forwards and backwards compatible: meaning you can run 1.0/1.1 devices in a 2.0 slot, and also run 2.0 compliant devices in a 1.0/1.1 slot.

Now - As far as "real" performance increase? That's going to be difficult to pinpoint. Why?? Because the existing standard isn't close to it's limits. If you'll allow me to make up some numbers: Think of it as doubling the speed limit on the highway from 70 to 140. If no cars exist which are powerful enough to go faster than 50 miles an hour, and there are enough lanes to fit the traffic, does it matter???? This is like the situation now. Even multiple devices aren't capable of running faster than current limitations. So increasing the capacity of the pipe isn't going to bring much 'real world' benefit. At least the way things stand at the moment.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Yea, but its still good to have.
That PSU is prob the best on for its money.
Also, get a Athlon 64 x2 5000+
You'll need an aftermarket HSF but that thing can OC....

Ilendil

Reaction score
So can the E8400 on air cooling. I don't think I want to go BACKWARDS, do I?

enouwee

Reaction score

750W?! Even a 450W PSU is more than enough for that setup. I'm running a Q9450 on a 400W PSU and it doesn't even draw 250W under load.

If I went for a P45 motherboard, I would expect them to cost upwards of $250.
Even then, the newest model aren't always worth having as they can often have problems. I'm not even sure if PCI-E 2.0 is worth it?

Given you plan to buy a next-generation video card, you may need it. Advantages of PCIe 2.0 are higher bandwidth of the lanes and increased power output through the slot. So, the card may run "slower" or not at all in PCIe 1.0/1.1 slots.

As for the price, it all depends on the features the board has to offer. Given the P45 is a mainstream chipset (unlike the high-end X48), you'll find a lot of boards costing below $200. They'll lack some features thou, like e-SATA, extra USB or FireWire ports, etc.

Ilendil

Reaction score
TBH those look obnoxious haha
Anyone have a recommendation for a PSU that's 500-550W?

enouwee

Reaction score
TBH those look obnoxious haha
Anyone have a recommendation for a PSU that's 500-550W?

I've always been a fan of Enermax and so far, only a single one blew up (out of the total of 5 that died in the last few years). I have two Liberty running, but there seems to be a newer Pro82+ model (as well as a modular one).

Prometheus

Reaction score

Cilla

is watching you! Ahh, fresh meat!
Reaction score
I haven't really looked into PSUs so any recommendations?
The one I am buying is the retail version, so it does have an included fan/heatsink.
And regarding the case, Lian Li is just a brand name that everyone seems to like but hasn't given me any solid reasons, I just want a generic and reliable case and I don't care if thousands of other people have it.

I would buy this one: Antec earthwatts EA500 500W ATX12V - $49.99 ;)

Pros: 80+ efficiency and apparently build by Seasonic, (which I use myself.)
Cons: No modular cabling but does it matter for you?
(700W? Kinda OVERSIZED? ;) Even 350-400W would do it I guess.
Good choice if you don't care about money but otherwise... :))

Lian Li looks best imho but as I said that's my personal opinion and those Antec's got a good airflow.

€:
@MeRcChRiS
kc102 already posted this link...

Prometheus

Reaction score
Do not buy a crap PSU. Its worth the splurge so you know your computer will run, safely.

@Merc
Posted it already.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.