Building ze computer

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
My budget's probably around 500-1000 so let's just go ahead and say 800 USD. Now, I want a nice computer with a fair amount of hard drive space that will let me run new games smoothly at medium-high graphics settings. That's really all I'm looking for, but I've never actually built my computer before, I always go for one of those ripoff deals at the stores. I have a laptop currently.

Can anyone help me choose some parts? And where would I buy them from?

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
why dont you just buy one..unless you know what you are doing you might screw up when things are done

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
Because they are so much more expensive. I mean, I'm posting here so I can get a guide on how to do it. :/

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
TBH its hard to tell someone how to make a computer over just words... however, go to your major retailers for parts, like best buy

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
it's not too hard to build your own.. but does that budget include money for a mouse/screen/keyboard/operating system?

anyways here's what id get assuming you already have those

CPU - i7 920 for $200

Motherboard - $155 AR
use coupon code MBSALE10 for 15

Memory - $80 AR

PSU - $70 AR

graphics card - $180 AR

Hard Drive - $60

Case - $80

total: $825 AR:)

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
how exactly will he put that together by himself, unless its a lot easier then i thought you also forgot the AC Adapter

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
how exactly will he put that together by himself, unless its a lot easier then i thought you also forgot the AC Adapter

that comes with the power supply (or is the power supply or PSU?)

start with the case, open it up, put in the PSU and hard drive, then put the CPU and memory in the motherboard, then put the heat sink and fan on the motherboard, then install motherboard into case, then add in your graphics card, and then just connect the power cables, then connect everything in the back of the computer

and most pieces come with their own assembly instructions, but it's really just a lot of screwing screws and plugging in cables

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
that could still be easier said then done and isnt there a high chance for shock

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
I'm not an idiot, sheesh, I'm not gonna shock myself xD

Anyways, I already have a keyboard and a mouse, as well as a nice big screen, and if I have vista installed on my current computer, can't I just use the same CD for my new one?

w/e

Boaroceraptorasaurus-Rex
Reaction score
So you need:

A motherboard
A video card
A processor
A case
Some RAM
A power supply
A CD ROM drive
A hard drive
A CPU fan

Your two most expensive components will be your video card and processor. They are crucial if you want this to be a gaming computer. You also need at least 4 gigabytes of DDR2 Ram. If you're going to be using the core i7 processors, you will need DDR3 ram, which is much more expensive. The motherboards that support DDR3 are also slightly more expensive.

I recommend a 4870 1GB for a video card. A quad core 2.66 Ghz from intel for a processor, 4 GB off DDR2 RAM, a terabyte HDD (about 100USD) a 650 watt PSU, some antec cpu fan, a cheap 60$ antec case, and a motherboard that can handle all that.

For all these parts, I recommend newegg.com or microcenter.com. They always have good deals.

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
Ok, so I shouldn't get an i7 because that needs DDR3, instead I should get something else that uses DDR2 because that's cheaper? That sounds right to me, but I want confirmation.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Yeah. I'd suggest an AM3 core because you can use DDR2, and then upgrade to DDR3.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
id go with ddr3 because it's better and within your budget, but whatever works for you

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Whatever you get, don't forget your Arctic Silver 5 or else you wont be able to finish putting your computer together till you get some. ;)

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
Ok, once I buy all the parts (probably in a few weeks) is there some guide to putting them together, or should I just google something?

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
The motherboard manual will tell you how to install most things. To get the motherboard installed, consult the manual for the case. Those resources should explain things reasonably well. Building a computer is for the most part fairly obvious, really. There aren't too many things that could be plugged in a different way. :p
Still be careful, though. If you put the CPU in the wrong way, for example, you will be in a world of hurt. "Measure twice, cut once." There is no hurry here. Take your time, make sure you cover everything, and it should go fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.