Bullets like These

PureOwnage

Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.
Reaction score
I would love to make bullets like in this video.

[YOUTUBE]
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p5-D0_1_rRU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p5-D0_1_rRU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
[/YOUTUBE]

However, I don't know where to get started.. If you would help me, this would be helpful in two of my projects.. The problem is that in the video, you click a point and the marine shoots there. But if it misses, it explodes, if it doesn't it collides with the unit. I can't get that too work. Any help?

Cookiemaster

Reaction score
To do this, you would obviously need to implement some sort of hit detection.

As long as there are a low amount of enemies, you could do this by checking if any enemy unit is in x range of any bullet every 1/x seconds, and add something to see how much lifetime the bullet has left.

If you start to make things with a lot of objects, you will have to implement a sort of hit detection, heavily optimized, to prevent lagg.

Like I have in my map: http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=149665
Instead of checking the distance between every unit and your unit, I only check the units the distance of the units close to me.
I achieve this by "making" a grid, and giving a list of units to every single square. Unlike the hit detection and movement, the list is not updated every 1/32th second, but every 1/8th second to reduce lagg. (GREATLY)
Instead of checking all units for collision, I check the units from my grid location +1~-1 on both x and y axis, which cuts away checking another possibly 90 units for checking.

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
He used the baneling effect to damage. o.o

PureOwnage

Reaction score
Heh, I just played it, you can hear the sound of banelings dying when the bullet dies.

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
Jesus Christ. This is the best custom game ive played so far. Awesome.

Once again, to bad Blizzard fucked us over and won't allow mouse support to move a unit (only a camera).

WSAD is only fun for so long

Renendaru

Reaction score
Once again, to bad Blizzard fucked us over and won't allow mouse support to move a unit (only a camera).

WSAD is only fun for so long

This is the beta, calm down please. And, have you ever seen a game in its closed beta, having full functionality? If you have, that game does not evolve, therefore does not need to be brought up.

BlowingKush

Reaction score
It's hard not to get angry when the obvious is unimplemented.

i want the X,Y coordinates of the damn mouse cursor.

Please.

PureOwnage

Reaction score
It's hard not to get angry when the obvious is unimplemented.

i want the X,Y coordinates of the damn mouse cursor.

Please.
I agree, Warcraft 3 could do that with trackables but SC2 can't? Yeah because we're going to click everytime we need to know the X and Y of the mouse.

Renendaru

Reaction score
If you had paid attention in the editor preview, in the Starcraft: Ghost game, he said they'd add support for aiming with the mouse. It's obvious what that means, mouse tracking will be here.

BlowingKush

Reaction score
I do not like to pay attention.

I would rather rage over something that has already been addressed.

chanta45

Reaction score
Personally I think we were lucky to get the editor with beta ^_^ They did say they were adding mouselook support, I believe the editor will evolve just as much as the regular game throughout the rest of beta.

I'd say a hearty amount of people are getting beta just for custom games/editor, hopefully they know their audience and will cater to it.

sLsIDK

Reaction score
Personally I think we were lucky to get the editor with beta ^_^ They did say they were adding mouselook support, I believe the editor will evolve just as much as the regular game throughout the rest of beta.

I'd say a hearty amount of people are getting beta just for custom games/editor, hopefully they know their audience and will cater to it.
Yep, I'm getting SC2 just for the editor, I even got the beta from a friend because I heard the editor would be coming out in the beta.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.