Buying Hero Abilities as Items

rotten

Reaction score
I'm trying to build my own custom hero arena, but I'm stuck on buying HERO abilities.

What I want is this: A hero buys a specific item from a shop, it vanishes immediately and instead he can learn a specific skill he didn't have access to before. Since the Hero will never have access to that shop again, the skill must be able to level up correctly, and I'd prefer it to start without level 1 already learned.

I've covered not being able to buy the same thing twice, but that's a minor problem. The big deal is I can't get the ability to register as a Hero ability.

Unit Add ability won't work, for obvious reasons. Unless there is a way to add as a Hero ability, but I can't spot how.

Hero Learn Skill doesn't work no matter how I coax it.

Using dummy spells in a spell book - I have 152 abilities, I'm not going anywhere near that can of worms! It also sounds indirect and, well, hamfisted :thdown:

Jass - I could finish 10 maps by the time I learned to do anything of significance in Jass.

I can't find anything else, and I really do not want to give this map up even if nobody will ever play it (what with dota and incoming SC2 and D3). So, how do I do it?

Further info: My heroes all start with no hero skills (ok they currently have one dummy skill but that's temporary and likely unneeded), and must each pick 4 ordinary skills and 1 ultimate.

rotten

Reaction score
Negative. I saw it as well. That system deals with situations like Custom Hero Survival where heroes continue to have access to the skill shops throughout the game. This isn't the situation in my map.

After the heroes pick their skills, they are thrown in the main area of play, which is separated by boundary from the skill shops area. This ties in with other mechanics I have in the map, and at least one I want to add.

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
You can't have more than five hero abilities at any time. What you can do is use spell books with unit abilities to create your own skill-up system and make them look like hero abilities.

rotten

Reaction score
I don't intend to have more than 5 hero abilities :banghead: but exactly 5.

And I already said I want nothing to do with spell books, and their whole system is something my brain can't get around to (very humbling situation for me). Also, I already have some big triggers in the map, and there will be more. Having this added burden will make my own map too resource heavy for my severely outdated computer :nuts:

rotten

Reaction score
I saw these both, and discounted them, before I even created my account. I'm usually good with complex things but these are just not doing it for me. If they did, I wouldn't be posting here. I've done my research.

Since normal GUI can't help me, is there any custom script that won't rupture my brain, to give a hero the hero skill straight up?

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
The only way I can see this being possible. Is if the skill is learned at level 1 and then is auto leveled as the hero is leveled.

rotten

Reaction score
I thought that might work. But the player is supposed to choose which of the five skills to level.:banghead:

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
In custom hero arena, I use a dummy spell to represent their learned skill...

That is:
Offensive Skill (skill 1)
Defensive Skill (skill 2)
Misc Skill (skill 3)
Ult (skill 4)

When you pick the item representing a skill from a shop, it sets a variable to represent that skill. So, you pick Flamestrike as your offensive skill, it gets saved into a variable. Later, if you chose to level "offensive skill" it sets the variable skill (flamestrike) to it's current level + 1.

^^The system is JASS though... Can't figure out how to re-write it in GUI, which is what I use most of the time.

The downside to the system though, is that where you pick to level up your skills, you don't have the names of your skills there; it is just "offensive, defensive, misc, ult" so, that is something you will have to deal with. A -showskills command seems to work for me.

rotten

Reaction score
I know the system, though I mostly play the other CHA version (6.2). My skills are classified into 13 groups however (10 normal, 3 ult), by shop.

Repeat: Isn't there a custom script or even jass command that can do this? I don't know squat about them but maybe if it's just a simple thing I can work it out.

Skippy

Reaction score
What about:

Unit buy an item => Enable Hero ability for owner of unit

This is only MPI though.

rotten

Reaction score
Sounds nice. What the hell is mpi? Can't find the command in my GUI. Anyway, "owner of unit"? What's that about?

Skippy

Reaction score
MPI = Multiple Player Instanciability

Since it is impossible to disable and enable ability for one unit only, I wanted to say that you can't have more heroes with same abilities owned by one player.

rotten

Reaction score
Only 1 hero per player, np.

So... give all heroes all the abilities in object editor and enable five of them on the basis of items?

How do I disable them to begin with?

And where is the command?

I'm more noobish than I look.

Skippy

Reaction score
So ... At the beggining of the game, you have to disable EVERY SINGLE ability for all players. Use something like:
Trigger:
  • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 12, do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • Player - Disable Ability_1 for (Player((Integer A)))
      • Player - Disable Ability_2 for (Player((Integer A)))
      • Player - Disable Ability_3 for (Player((Integer A)))

And when hero buys item, enable specific ability for owner of this hero.

It will be lot of work, but I think it is the only way ...

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
I've never thought of the above. Pretty neat system...

CHA 6.2 and the other 6.X edits, made by FYUO use BAKA-Rangers system.

The CHA system I use is JASS, but it is a pretty simply, copy/paste/edit a tiny line of code. I mean, I figured it out, and I know nothing of JASS :p PM me if you want it, and I will send it to you, with directions on how to edit it.

rotten

Reaction score
It also doesn't work. The object editor won't allow me more than 5 hero abilities, disabled or not, and I don't think unit abilities can be levelled with hero skill points.

Reaction score
I know the system, though I mostly play the other CHA version (6.2). My skills are classified into 13 groups however (10 normal, 3 ult), by shop.

Repeat: Isn't there a custom script or even jass command that can do this? I don't know squat about them but maybe if it's just a simple thing I can work it out.

If there was one, the aforementioned links wouldn't have been created.

They are the only way to get levelable abilities with hero points and the proper learn icon. The only other way would be the CHA way, but you don't get the learn icon and the level skip requirement.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.