[C++] Programming a 'Magnifier'

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I have a friend (around my age) who has basically said that the business he's working for is looking to hire someone to write a program for them (probably over the summer). Specifically, for the project he is working on.

Essentially, the program is a 'Magnifier' program, just like the one in Windows' Accessories. They want me to write a program that does what that does, but has additional functionality.

My friend and his coworker (who I've come to be acquainted with) have directly asked me if I'd like to work on it. They've told me that it would probably be written in C++, and I would need to interface with Direct X.

I haven't given them a definite answer yet, because I don't know if I can do it. I've never done any real programming, just (extremely) small programs here and there in different languages (python, perl, C++, Java, etc), but I feel my knowledge of how to program is solid.

The problem is, if I were to take the job, I wouldn't know where to begin, and I don't know if I'll be getting any 'mentoring'. I've never interfaced with anything before, the extent of my real-world programming being applied to creating a few circles on the screen in pygame, and writing a few programs to sort and move files around on my computer.

Essentially, where would I begin? I've tried looking up small bits of Direct X, and honestly, it's overwhelming just how much I have to look through. Would this program be really complicated, or would it be relatively simple when I understand the interface?

Thanks in advanced! :)

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I don't know, ive done a few programming classes but none of them teached direct X yet (and im into data structures already..), have you tried looking for books on direct X? it's normally used for games, that's about all I know about it

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
What you need, I think, is to find a way how to get the whole screen (like how you pressed PrtSc key on your keyboard) and display it in the program. Then, zoom it in, then repeat.

Try looking through here. You can read its source codes for hints.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I don't know, ive done a few programming classes but none of them teached direct X yet (and im into data structures already..), have you tried looking for books on direct X? it's normally used for games, that's about all I know about it

No, but the book is definitely a good place to start. Thanks for the tip. ;)

What you need, I think, is to find a way how to get the whole screen (like how you pressed PrtSc key on your keyboard) and display it in the program. Then, zoom it in, then repeat.

Try looking through here. You can read its source codes for hints.

That's basically the idea I had for the program, I just really had no idea where to start, as I haven't had any practice with real programming. Thanks for the link, that'll really come in handy! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.