C++ Where to start. what to do?

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents.

Sorry to say that I don't think your 2 cents is worth even that :p

The high level programming languages is not like a high level hero in wc3.
It is actually the other way around. The level they are reffering to is how close to machine code it is. If you want a good language you should really use machine code directly, it does not get better than that;) Python is a good language, the only problem with learning python is that you will probably have some trouble learning other languages after that.

If you have used JASS in wc3 and understood it somewhat I suggest you use c++, it is fairly similiar, and that is all I had in my pocket when I started using c++:)

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
Absolutely incorrect. It's the other way around. Quoting wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
In computing, a high-level programming language is a programming language with strong abstraction from the details of the computer. In comparison to low-level programming languages, it may use natural language elements, be easier to use, or be more portable across platforms. Such languages hide the details of CPU operations such as memory access models and management of scope.

Making python very easy to learn, no need to worry about how you allocate memory.

And if you want to take it a step higher see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_high-level_programming_language

___

When you have nothing and I'm assuming you haven't taken Logic yet Python is a great place to start learning the key concepts that are present in ALL programming languages.

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Absolutely incorrect. It's the other way around. Quoting wikipedia:

Making python very easy to learn, no need to worry about how you allocate memory.

And if you want to take it a step higher see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_high-level_programming_language

___

When you have nothing and I'm assuming you haven't taken Logic yet Python is a great place to start learning the key concepts that are present in ALL programming languages.

Yes but there are time where directly allocating memory is necessary, or at lest helpful. C++ is a high level language, but it can do things that ow level languages can. So it does get the best of both worlds.

codemonkey

Reaction score
C++ is a middle level language, not high level.

Read the quote from wikipedia, especially the part I bolded.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score

No matter how you twist and turn it comes down to this anyway:
warcraft and starcraft and diablo has all been written in c++, that alone makes it a good language by reputation:rolleyes:
Python has at least mount and blade that I am aware of, and that is a good game as well, but it could had been better written in c++, that is my personal oppinion tho.

I think that it is better to start with something a bit advanced and move to python later, else you will miss out on the memory allocation stuff;)

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Sorry, but are you an idiot? Start with the advanced stuff first, then move on to the easy?
That's not how we learn things.
Learn something easy first, then move on to more advances languages.

Python is great to start with. I learnt it in about a week or so. Sure, I can't quite program anything yet, but that's because I don't know what functions/methods there are to use.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Sorry, but are you an idiot?

No, I am not, and I would appreciate that you would not ask me or anyone else that question in the future:mad:

I am just saying that c++ is a good language to start with, since it has a syntax that looks like many other languages. While python is an easy language it lacks a few things such as a "common syntax" or what ever it is called, it also lacks the memory handling that c++ does.

I am not trying to trash-talk python, it is a pretty good language, I am just saying that c++ seems to be a better alternative to start out with to me.

And c++ is not that advanced compared to python, there is just more code to write before you get any results ;)

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
> And c++ is not that advanced compared to python, there is just more code to write before you get any results.
And that's why Python is better to start with.
C++ = compiler.
Python = intepreter.

Tru_Power22

Reaction score

Yeah, but all a middle level language means is having both high level and low level features.

codemonkey

Reaction score
Ok you guys obviously don't get it so I'll clarify.

Low level languages are almost identical to machine code, like Assembly. Middle level languages are sort of similar but have it's own syntax, they usually have the ability to use memory allocation. High level languages are very different from machine code. Even more so with very high level programming languages.

:rolleyes:

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> And c++ is not that advanced compared to python, there is just more code to write before you get any results.
And that's why Python is better to start with.

I'm sorry, but I do not agree with this. Just because you have to write a bit more code (very basic stuff) it does not make it any worse. Of course, if there was lots more code everywhere it might be a bit different.

I personally dislike the syntax of Python and I personally would not recommend it to a beginner, because of how it is different from conventional syntax. I personally started with C++ and I had no problems learning it (and I can also easily learn other languages, as it has a similar syntax).

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
I personally dislike the syntax of Python and I personally would not recommend it to a beginner, because of how it is different from conventional syntax. I personally started with C++ and I had no problems learning it (and I can also easily learn other languages, as it has a similar syntax).

See, that was exactly what I was trying to say:rolleyes:

Xienoph

Reaction score
C++ is a really old language. If you don't really care about performance, I suggest moving to something more modern.

Since the thread owner wants to make games (right?), then I'll suggest that you start learning C++. There are concepts that are abstracted from higher level languages like Python and C# that you will (probably) need in C++. Since you'll end up programming in C++, might as well start by learning that.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I use Visual Studio 2008 Pro Edition, they have a Beta of VS 2010, it's pretty good.
I highly recommend VS, I learned VB, and the more I learned I became better with C++ as I understood it more.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/dd582936.aspx

Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate I think would be the one to download, I'm not sure though.

EDIT: if your after games, I'd trial VS 2008 Pro and download and install XNA Game Studio, I think it's designed for building Windows & XBOX 360 games using C# syntax, I've used it before and liked it.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
i dont want to make games persay, i may want to do that. but i want to step into it. I want to make some simple programs first. For example. A word scrambler. that takes the first and last letter of a word, and randomly scrambles all of the letters in-between

codemonkey

Reaction score
No, you're absolutely incorrect.

Python is best for making lightweight applications and it has an easy syntax, I personally wouldn't use it for making 3D applications.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.