US News California Declares Grid Emergency

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
California officials declared a statewide grid emergency to cope with surging demand for power amid a blistering heat wave, raising the prospect of rolling blackouts.

The California Independent System Operator issued a level-1 energy emergency alert around 3:10 p.m. local time Wednesday after tapping all of its available power supplies. The notice, which comes after officials asked homes and businesses to conserve, is a warning that the state is anticipating power shortages.

It’s the biggest test for California’s grid since the summer of 2020, when rolling outages engulfed portions of the state. It comes as Russia’s war in Ukraine triggers an energy crisis in Europe and as record temperatures driven by climate change tax grids around the globe.

“It’s pretty clear Mother Nature has outrun us,” Governor Gavin Newsom, who issued an emergency proclamation Wednesday to free up extra power supplies, said during a news conference. “The reality is we’re living in an age of extremes -- extreme heat, extreme drought.”

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Funny. I drove to Los Angeles (from Houston) for a funeral. It felt nice when I was there, and on the drive. My A/C in my car stopped working about a month ago. The drive through Arizona was pleasant, wasn't very hot. However, I left back to Houston two days later and it was literally hot as hell. Through California and Arizona, huge difference in temperature in just 2 days time. Fortunately when I was going through Texas it was actually pretty cool outside so that was nice. Not surprised they announced a grid emergency after I just went through all that.

Context: I got back two nights ago. So this was pretty much at the same time as the heat wave.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.