Calling All Writers!

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Dear writers;

As you may know, TH.net isn't the ideal spot for a writing community, but I'd either like to change that or maybe collaborate to provide maybe a sub-community. So, this thread is an attempt to create an open forum to all poets, writers, and essayists. In this open discussion, please discuss what you'd want from a writing community. Also, if you have any solution on how to achieve your wants/needs, you're welcomed to make suggestions.

~Ninva

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I know what I look for;

A place to display my work, be it Poetry or my next attempt at a novel. And not just display it but to receive feedback, whether it's positive or negative. Of course, if it's negative, I want it to be constructive, something that will help me improve.

I'd also like to see just more activity in general, people discussing what they're writing, characters they're building, scenes from their latest stories.

I'd really love to see more discussion about books being read. I've been reading a lot more this year, 10 books so far and I really don't get to say much about them. The HP thread died off pretty quickly. I tried one about the Dresden Files books I'm reading and it never got going.

Oh, and seeing RP come back to the forum would be nice. But I doubt it'd ever happen.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I read rather boring and nerdy books. I'm currently reading Naked Lunch. I doubt anyone would find that interesting. Maybe we just have to admit defeat. There are few humanists on TH.net. :p

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh, and seeing RP come back to the forum would be nice. But I doubt it'd ever happen.

Pine and I have started our DnD sessions again on Sundays starting last weekend. We should probably update that thread with the changes we made. xD

There are few humanists on TH.net.

Never give up!
I should probably post more of my stuff speaking that is actually sort of kind of bearable. XD

Edit - In my writers' club at school we do things like group story. We really just require more group involvement. I personally think if we have fun and develop more of a community attitude in the WC, activity will come on its own slowly...

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Last year, I hardly ever visited this paticular forum, but this year I come by pretty regularly. The thing is, there just doesn't seem to be that much activity; I've only recently started writing and I'm not exactly sure of the quality of my stuff, but I don't tend to see much in the way of response here when people do post stuff, so I guess I feel less inclined to post my own.

One thing I noticed which bugs me is that the notice at the top of the board urges people to read the threads regarding criticism before replying, but I don't see these threads anywhere, just the small mention in the forum rules.

I would also like to see more book discussion, but I don't want to post a thread that's going to die off in two days.

Just my $0.02.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Too many books. Not enough people. If you want people to discuss a book, you need people to read it. Book club, ha, force members to read it together.

Anyway, I haven't written in so long so I suck which is why I don't post my work (that is, I have none).
I don't respond much either because I'd either say "I like it" or something like that, which isn't much of a post at all.

DM Cross

Reaction score
I like the idea of the contest topics being voted on but the problem with that is a month only consists of 30 or so days... Meaning you'd have to open a poll for so many days to get a topic, leave enough days for judges to judge and then the rest for people to create/polish off a poem.

Not much time to do all that.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Would help if you explained it :rolleyes:

You know what I miss about writing? I miss writing a chapter all night and then giving it to my friends to read and they read it in 20 minutes then they can't stop asking me questions about what's going to happen next and character traits and whatnot.

THAT is what used to really get me going to write the next chapter. I could do a chapter a week when people were that enthusiastic with my writing.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Writing is still fun for me. It has always been a solitary thing.

What I mean by a 100 challenge prompt is that you're challenged to write on 100 prompts. It's kind of a contest, and you see who can get to 100 first. But you see, you can not go over 1 prompt each day, so the point is to be diligent. Once someone reaches 100, we can start a 200 prompt challenge, and the trophies keep racking up. This would also help your portfolio. I started some awesome stories this way too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.