WIP [Campaign] Fallen Monk

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
Fallen Monk is a campaign that features a rare system that allows the player to re-visit already visited areas!

Take on the role as Brother Morbent Fell, a student of the Brotherhood, the Dark Acolytes.
Morbent starts his journey by being assigned a simple mission, namely sacrificing a sheep to Nerzhul in The Corrupted Gorge. But Morbent don't have much time, until he stumbles into something much bigger..

Download here:
V1.0: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f202/pilgrimage-beta-99414/
(Last updated: 2008-12-01)

Older version:
V0.92 Beta: http://www.freewebs.com/idtatwc3/Fallen%20Monk%20v0.92%20Beta.w3n
V0.91 Beta: http://www.freewebs.com/idtatwc3/Fallen%20Monk%20v0.91%20Beta.w3n
V0.9 Beta: http://www.freewebs.com/idtatwc3/Fallen%20Monk%20v0.9%20Beta.w3n
V0.8 Beta: http://www.freewebs.com/idtatwc3/Fallen%20Monk%20v0.8%20Beta.w3n

Changelog:
//==========================================================\\

Fallen Monk Beta
Version: 0.92
Made By: Phrosen
Changelog:

//*======================*\\

*Added the Ultimate Ability; Spectral Nova.

*Minor: Fixed a couple of typos, etc. (Abilities, Quests, etc..)

*Improved the Lumishrooms quest slightly.

*Balanced Ability: Torment, increased mana cost from 70 to 100.

*Abilities: Added a message, saying 'Resist!', when using spells against units with magic resistance level 4.

*Fixed the Magic Resistance Ability buff.

*Function: Purchasable items (such as mana and health potions) now stack charges, when picked up. (Keeping the inventory tidy.)

*Revive: Hero is now invulnerable for five seconds, after being revived. -Just in case.

*Terraining: Hopefully The Corrupted Gorge is a little more pretty now.

Fallen Monk Beta
Version: 0.91
Changelog:

*Spells: Made 'Torment' a lot weaker. Dealing half the damage, and fixed a bug that made the spellpower damage continue until the unit died.

*Spells: Added 'Unsummon Dead' to the Summoned Dead units.

*Terrain Issue: Added more Doodads to/improved The Corrupted Gorge.

*Minor Quest Bug: The Voidwalker quest in The Corrupted Gorge.

*Game change: Hero Revive system functional. (1 extra life, then Game Over!) +No Death Message when the Hero dies.

*Quest: Fixed the Dune Worm Quest in The Corrupted Gorge.

*Changed the (second) Sheep into something a little more appropropriate..

*Creeps: Added loot when killing creeps.

*Cinematic: Changed the Main Cinematic in the beginning of the second map slightly, to avoid confusion.

Fallen Monk Beta
Version: 0.9
Changelog:

*New Function: Reset. -Restarts the game from Highlands of Despair, clearing the game cache. Added a Quest for In-

game information.

*Mayor Bug: Fixed the spellpower bug. -Messed up when changing levels, when carrying spellpower-bonus items.

*Mayor Bug: Fixed Abandon Quest triggers. -When teleporting to The Corrupted Gorge, all current quests will be

abandoned, and cannot be recieved again!

*Balancing abilities; Made Summon Dead units weaker, and also summon +1 unit per 150 Spellpower points (instead of

+1 per 100 SP points.)

*Ability: Changed Pain:
-Hotkey now saying Z, instead of N.
-Pain now gives 25 Spellpower per level. (Max 75 bonus spellpower.)

*Balancing The Corrupted Gorge; Set a limit to Dune Worms, max 6 Dune Worms.

*Quests: Added short cinematics to all Quests in Highlands of Despair, to test if it's better with or without a

cinematic. -No proper skipping.

*Quests: Fixed so that abandoned quests cannot be re-acquired, after visiting The Corrupted Gorge. (Quests that

wasn't acquired can still be acquired, though.)

*Quests: (Minor) Changed some grammatical mistakes and typos.

*Quest: Fixed the Dune Worm Carapace Quest -Bug. You will now be rewarded for compeleting the quest.

*Various: (Minor) Lots of smaller fixes. -Mainly visible fixes, such as flashing the quest dialog button.

Screenshots:
scrn1.jpg

scrn2.jpg

scrn3.jpg

scrn4.jpg

scrn5.jpg

scrn6.jpg

scrn7.jpg

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Uh. Well I've already been talking to you but I'm in, right? :)

Don't know what to do yet because I've been busy these past days and still will be (Six Flags today, party tomorrow, etc. lol) but I'll try to respond every night if I can.

Exide

Reaction score
I need more feedback.

Screenshots are coming up, eventually. :p

Exide

Reaction score
Bump.

Thank you, thewrongvine, for adding some screenshots. :thup:
The campaign has been updated and is available for download in the first post of this thread. It is not yet done, though.

Exide

Reaction score
*Bump*
Big map update!
The beta version of my campaign is now released. :thup:
Download link can be found in the first post of this thread.

-I need lots of playtesters to find bugs etc, so come on people. Try it out! :p

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Ok, when I have WC available, I'll "playtest" it, :D.

EDIT: Btw, what was I supposed to do again? I'll just look in the PM's again I think... lol

EDIT 2: Ok, I'm testing it right now. I see that you added Loading Screens - they're really cool. :D

You took away Siphon Soul and added 2 spells so I guess that's ok. I'm guessing the hotkeys are in Z-X-C-V format since... they are right now. But Pain's hotkey still displays as Pai[n] with N, when it is Z. And Pain doesn't show any extra damage with the Floating Text you have. Either that, or I do +0 damage with it. :D (Edit: Nevermind, I now have SP)

The Summon Dead ability is too strong. The cooldown is very low, the mana cost is low, so you can basically have like 4 - 8 minions at the same time. Also, the minions are really strong, even at level 1. You should increase the cooldown and mana cost.

Note: I'm writing this down as I play right now so I might get some things popped up... like now.

Necromancer Dood that wants to kill furbolgs for fun! Sweet! :) But those type of quests get old and boring. The "Kill X amount of Y creatures" ones. Make it like "Kill X amount of Y creatures, and capture their leader by bringing it down to <5% health". Oh yay! I got 2 necromancers!

Ok, I just bugged it I think. I attacked the necromancer because he was taking like 30 seconds to channel the "spellpower transfer" thing, and then they all unallied me and they started attacking me. But I exited the zone and it fixed...

AH! The gate shut on me and I'm trapped with the Warden. This is like a journal... Ha, I almost died, but I summoned like 8 minions and owned him with the rigged poison. Khazad-Doom... LotR reference, lol. The short cinematic could have a quick grammar check:
Necromancer: I'd rather die, than telling you!
Necromancer: I'd rather die than tell you!
The second one is the correct one.

--- --- ---

Anyway, I g2g now. Hope this journal thing helps... it's like a replay, lol. I'll continue when I can!

Exide

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. <3

I'm working the the fixes right now.
I also need to playtest myself to see if I can re-create some of the bugs.

>Ok, I just bugged it I think. I attacked the necromancer because he was taking like 30 seconds to channel the "spellpower transfer" thing, and then they all unallied me and they started attacking me. But I exited the zone and it fixed...

Not sure what you did. :p
-I do have a trigger, however; if you attack one of their "people" they will gang up on you. (And most likely stomp you into the ground.) -To prevent players from attacking them, and killing quest units, etc..

I might also add new quests in the future.
At the moment I'm focusing on bug-fixes, adding new items and balance. (I need a neat ultimate ability that will help later in the game, but still not be overpowered..)

It might take a while before I get a new version uploaded, so if you feel like it I would appriciate some more playtesting. =) (So that I can eliminate as many bugs as possible!)

Thanks. :) :thup:

neckface

terrain contest winner! :) dance contest loser. :(
Reaction score
Great looking terrain, looking forward to trying this one.

Advena

Just casually observing atm ;)
Reaction score
Hey mate I tested it, and I have to say ME LIKIE :thup:
The terrain, like noted above here, is awesome. Just to mention one thing :)

I found a number of issues though. Some of them are just minor things, but things that disturbed me anyway, so..
*The green selection ring in the pre-cinematic (the main hero unit is selected). Don't have it selected then already, select it for the player when the cinematic ends. Looks waaay better ;)
*Flash the quest button after the cinematic ends. You do it later anyway, and it was first then I remembered that looiking through it would be agood idea.
*Brother Anon (the first questgiver I met after those who were in the cine) is kinda hidden among the trees. I thought for a while I was talking to the ghoul nd was disturbet that he wasn't named like the text said. Just move the guy a little so we can see it's him doing the talking.
*Mercenary.. is a shop, but the word means (since I see you're also swedish I can make this easy) "legoknekt" (or possibly "yrkessoldat" or "hyr-soldat") or such, so I'm not sure it's a good name for a building. "Mercenary's Hideout" might be better. Of course it's up to you, just giving my thoughts :)
*The description of the cloak item says it's dazzling and that enemies get a misschange because they can't se the bearer properly. Sounds kinda strange that an evil crature like this fallen monk would volontarily put on a cloak that shines brightly, would be nicer with something along the lines of "blurrs the edges of the hero" or "makes the air around the hero darker" or something :)
*I got no artifact from Paroh-Moth. I later realised I probably wasn't supposed to, since I got no wolf hides either, but I seriously think there should be an artifact item. Mostly because it really feels like something's missing when it more or less says "item recieved" and the inventory is empty, but also because it adds a certain amount of coolness to carry around a cool artifact with a nice icon :p
*The wolf hides are fine to not give an inventory item, but you should change the "1/5" to "Wolf Hides: 1/5" to make sure stupid people like me understand what they're doing ;)
*You might want to reduce the model size of the items. Those question marks were bigger than the hero :eek:
*Paroh-Moth was talking about the demon hunter that appeared, but I really didn't get what was happening there, and why the demon hunter couldn't see the fallen monk. I understand that it was probably part of some plot that will unravell nicely a little later, but there was something kinda undefinable about that cinematic that felt a little weird. Don't mind me though, I'm rambling :p
*The level-brackets of the areas? I was still level 1 when I realised that I have to go down to the level 3 area to find something to fight, and then the wolf was just level 2 anyway... And believe me, I looked through that first area very carefully for units to exercise on so I could get to level 3 before I went on :(
Set the first area as "Level 1" only, and the next as "between 1 and whaterver-is highest-for-that-area" please.
*How do I heal? I didn't get any gold to buy that potion in any of the shops (found the scourge one as well), and the constant hp-regen is not that fast that it's fun to just sit and watch it ticking.. Maybe I missed something, I dunno.
*The Pain hotkey/tooltip as mentioned by thewrongvine above.
*I didn't like the dialog that popped up when I was reading General Lynn'cia's quest. I understand why you have it, but since I looked away a few sec before I started reading I wan't exactly sure what it was I should be agreeing to or not. Maybe display a text that says 'Type "yes" or "no" to agree or disagree to take on the quest.'
Also maybe pause the Hero so that you have to decide before you move on, but so that you can always see the quest and maybe read it again if you're slow :p
*I died.... How, when and where do I respawn? All I could do except restart the game (which I didn't bother to do in favor of coming here with the things I found so far) was to move around the sheep a little and watch it move back on it's own after a while. I saw nothing to indicate I'd come back to life. A bug perhaps?
*One more thing: I tried to restart the campain, but I am again where I last exited an area before I died, with very little hp and all that. I understand that it's very nice to not have to save when exiting the campain, but what if I want to restart it, and play it from the beginning again?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, there you have it. I may sound harsh when I describe the problems I found, but It's with greatest well-meaning. Just giving you feedback :)
Did I mention that I'm really impressed about it in general? ;)

You've got a great campain, and now I hope it'll get even better! :thup:

Exide

Reaction score
Woah.
Tons of feedback. <3
I will get right onto fixing it. (I'm already fixing other known issues, so next version of the campaing will (hopefully) be much better.) :)

All I can say for now is thanks for the feedback. :thup:
+rep for taking time to help me. :)

Advena

Reaction score
Glad to help mate :)
Be sure to post a changelog when the next version gets out, it'll be nice to know what of my grumpy details you've looked into :p

Exide

Reaction score
Ok, as of now I've fixed like six of the issues that you've mentioned, Advena. :)
-Some issues were already known to me and already fixed. I'm working on the rest.

I noticed that you wanted to restart from the beginning.
There are three options for you. (These can be read in my Campaign Tutorial, but I will copy them here to make it easier. :p)

Exide said:
Game Cache is saved as a file on your computer. More precisely it is saved in your Profile Folder. The Profile Folder is located in: 'Warcraft III\save'.
If you have several Profiles, they are named 'Profile1', 'Profile2', 'Profile3', and so on..
I believe the Warcraft3 Main campaign progress is also saved in the Profile. Meaning, if you remove the profile, the Main Campaign progress will be removed as well.

Now you might be wondering why I'm telling you this?
Well, because Game Cache isn't automatically deleted. Which is both good and bad. To give an example:
The first map of your Campaign contains a Cinematic. You want the Hero to be able to return the the first map whenever he wishes. When the map is loaded, the Cinematic will play again. If you store a value in the Game Cache, you can prevent the Cinematic from playing more than one time, if you wish.
However, if you then exit the game, make a small change to the map, and start it up again. The Cache will now remember that you already saw the cinematic, and will skip it.
However. I believe that if you save the game and wish to continue tomorrow on the campaign, and the cache is still there. You won't be treated as if you just started the campaign, the next day when you load your old game.
So it's both good and bad.

Now, when creating the campaign, you will probably be deleting the game cache in order to test the triggers properly. So that's why I'm telling you this, and I will show you two ways of doing it!

First is to delete it from outside the game, by going to the Profile Folder in the Warcraft3 folder. (The default path is, I believe; 'C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\save') -Here you can remove the *.w3v files, where * is the name of the Game Cache. (That you set, using triggers.)

Second way is to do it from inside Warcraft3. However, this will remove the complete Profile. I recommend you create a new Profile from playtesting your Campaigns. The best way for me to show how to do this is by showing you a screenshot. It's very simple, really..
-I will try to make a trigger that resets the game, though.

Advena

Reaction score
ahh, ok. Now I get it :)
I'm not very good at how game cache works just yet :p

Advena

Reaction score
As far as I saw (haven't opened the map and checked), they are non-triggered yes.
Not that I know what difrence it makes as long as the spells fit into the character and work as intended :p

Exide

Reaction score
is it only me or abilities are basic non triggered ones ? (just wondering)

Nope, they're triggered. -Everyone of them. :p
(How else could Spellpower have anything to do with them?)

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Hahahahaha! Ha!

And besides, just because it isn't triggered doesn't mean it's not good. :rolleyes:

Man, Advena beat my comments! Actually, I've had longer so... I still beat him. :D

Advena

Reaction score
You're saying you've had longer time to come up with less, and that makes you beat me?
That's Joker reasoning right there. Why so serious, eh? hehe :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.