Can a spell based on a region be MUI?

Wummi

Just Relax and Smile!
Reaction score
I have an ability that goes something like this: (it is basically something like Dota's Crystal Maiden's Freezing Field ultimate)
(If someone knows how to make and can show me that spell (in MUI) of course, that would be even better)

Spell info:
The spell is channeling. Lasts for 10 seconds.
The Hero summons the forces of lightning, fire, water, wind and earth to destroy enemies around him. All enemies around the hero in 1000 range will take 100 damage per second.

Now, the thing is, I used a region called Special Effects Region, and whenever my hero casts a spell, I center the region upon him, and use the "Create special effect in random point in <Special Effects Region>" trigger, and use intergers to randomly create different special effects in the region. It works great, and everything goes off normally.
However, I wish to make it MUI, but now if 2 heroes use it, the region gets "jacked" by the second hero. I tried to create a region using triggers, but there is no variable for a region. Any help here would be awesome. If I am still unclear with what the spell does, please point it out and I will clarify.

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
use random coordinates instead

they will always be faster than regions/points, though they aren't very accessible in GUI :/

take the coordinates of the caster and then just add random x and y
you can also make a circular effect, by using polar projections

in this case you should use random angle and distance

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
save the region in a hashtable like so:
Trigger:
  • Save region as x of (key triggering unit) in Special_Effect_Hash

Amn

Reaction score
The Hero summons the forces of lightning, fire, water, wind and earth to destroy enemies around him. All enemies around the hero in 1000 range will take 100 damage per second...
and the apocalypse begins after 2 seconds just before the perma stun followed by Ades, lord of the deads, appearing from behind killing invulnerable units in a large area about 2/3 of map plus 1/3 map. Any survivor or resurrected unit takes 999 damage per second plus x2 your mana. units that somehow survive the spell have 0.5 seconds to move away from the minimap or get killed, then resurrected and killed again. this ability does not affect trees.

kidding :). why dont u make an invisible and naked unit cast Monsoon -or Blizzard- there?

keychup

Reaction score
Instead of making a region you should create the dummy unit using "Point with Polar offset".

Example:

Set PointX = Position of Triggering Unit
SetPointY = Point X offset by Random number between 0 and 500 towards Random Angle degrees

This will make the AoE look more circular and will allow more than 1 unit to use the point variables. Make sure to cleanup the point variables after use.

GFreak45

Reaction score
couldnt you just base the spell off a channeled spell that normally deals damage in an aoe around the unit (ie: earthquake only targettable at the casters position)

keychup

Reaction score
couldnt you just base the spell off a channeled spell that normally deals damage in an aoe around the unit (ie: earthquake only targettable at the casters position)
he wants multiple special effects on different targets, hence im thinking he made a thunder, fire, earth, water and wind version of blizzard to be cast around him. as far as i know, starfall may do the trick for the base ability, but the special effects are limited to one type.

Wummi

Just Relax and Smile!
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. I'm sorry that I didn't point out directly where my question was.
I have a periodic trigger that damages the enemy units around the caster, so that is no problem.
However, the problem is with the special effects. I want lightning, fire, water, wind and earth special effects to pop up all around the hero very fast, and the only way I know of doing that is to create the special effects at random points within a region using a periodic timer of every 0.2 seconds. And I center the region upon the caster. Then I pick an interger between 1 and 5 to determine which special effect comes out.
The problem is when 2 units use the same ability, the REGION can't be centered upon 2 units at once. It'll always get centered on the second unit, and the first caster's special effects will disappear around him.

I think keychup's
Set PointX = Position of Triggering Unit
SetPointY = Point X offset by Random number between 0 and 500 towards Random Angle degrees
method will work, but is there a way to do it with regions?

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could create a region around the caster every time the spell is cast, but... while you're at it, why not simply use a random point within a range of 500 around the caster? ;)

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Code:
Special Effect - Create Special Effect at Position of (Triggering Unit) offset by (Random number between 0 and 500) towards (Random Angle) degrees

GFreak45

Reaction score
Make a ward with like 4 abilities that are all on autocast and have special effects that match the element/debuff, give it locust and make one at the position of the caster, in the object editor change this unit's cast - backswing timer field to the interval u want them cast at and set each ability cooldown to the interval x the number of spells

Wummi

Just Relax and Smile!
Reaction score
Make a ward with like 4 abilities that are all on autocast and have special effects that match the element/debuff, give it locust and make one at the position of the caster, in the object editor change this unit's cast - backswing timer field to the interval u want them cast at and set each ability cooldown to the interval x the number of spells

What does Unit Cast - Backswing Timer do?

keychup

Reaction score
well, cast point is how long a unit takes to cast a spell. and backswing, if i recall, is how long a unit stands waving their wand after they finish casting a spell.

GFreak45

Reaction score
well, cast point is how long a unit takes to cast a spell. and backswing, if i recall, is how long a unit stands waving their wand after they finish casting a spell.

ding ding ding :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.