Can someone recommend a good remote replacement?

mgarcia

You may change this now in User CP
Reaction score
Hi,
I've had my nuon without a remote for a while and looking to dev after hearing about homebrew DVD's booting!
I have a Samsung DVDN501( the remote control ID# 00093D)

I know there are many remote replacements, just wondering if there's a specific good one or a known one that works with the N501?

Cheers, thanks
Mike.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is info on the actual controller

The remote has a special NUON button and I believe some zoom buttons for the special features. I do not believe any other remotes will work with it but the original

mgarcia

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I was hoping there's Universal Remote Control that just (mostly) works? :/

rosewood

Reaction score
If you are able to buy a Logitech Harmony remote control: The MyHarmony database has several profiles for Samsung NUON DVD players. They have some Zoom buttons but no NUON button.

mgarcia

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the info,

I'm looking to get a remote to use as a controller... I can get a logitech, no problems, but would like to know how well it works before dropping the cash.
I have an N900, which has an IR blaster and a remote control app, I'll see if that has any support. (not on the supported list http://lirc-remotes.sourceforge.net/remotes-table.html)

Last edited:

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
This site claims that it has a custom built compatible remote. I cannot rate the legitimacy of the site but the model numbers match up and I do see a NUON button in the picture so it is hopeful.

mgarcia

Reaction score
Good spot there! But they only deliver north america... I'll try a cheap 2nd hand harmony remote control and report back... probably in a few weeks or so.

If someone has a harmony remote and a Nuon, please let us know if it works, especial as a game pad! :D

rosewood

Reaction score
Playing NUON games with a remote control is no fun, go for a real controller!

I just tried to play on a DVD-N501 with a DVD-N505 remote (00094D), a DVD-M205 remote (00092B) and a Logitech Harmony Elite with DVD-N501 profile.
Remote controls for Samsung DVD-M series (e.g., M101, M205, M305 etc.) and probably others are also compatible.

The buttons are mapped as follows:
D-pad - D-pad
A - Enter
B - Exit (or Return on non-NUON remotes)
Start - Play/Pause
Everything else (analogue etc.) is not mapped.

It is not possible to press multiple buttons at the same time. Imagine playing a game that requires you to move and shoot or to accelerate and steer at the same time...
Even Samsung remotes introduce a lag that make games hard to control. The Harmony is worse (lag and duration of the button press is slightly too long), but it can probably be fine-tuned.

The original DVD-N501 remote (00093D) looks like to have a protruding joystick and maybe they even made it to send multiple button presses at the same time. But I don’t have it and can't verify that.

You can check if the buttons of your replacement remote control are properly mapped with this disc:

mgarcia

Reaction score
The only way, i'm getting a controller is via a Songbird adapter lol

Thanks a lot for the info!
Wow, that does sound pretty bad, I was hoping for more face/action buttons to work on the remote... but I guess it's good enough for gamedev testing.
Thanks again!
Mike.

cubanismo

Reaction score
FWIW, I can also confirm the 00093N remote is functionally equivalent to the 00093D when used with a DVD-N501. Both remotes have the exact same physical layout, but some of the buttons are named differently on the 00093N. If you just look at a picture of the 00093D and press the physically corresponding button on the 00093N, it does the same thing. E.g., the "Nuon" button on the 00093D is called "Slow" on the 00093N, but it functions like a "Nuon" button when used with a DVD-N501 unit. I have them both sitting side by side here and they're completely interchangeable. This is good news if you have a remoteless N501, because while 00093D is scarce on eBay, there are various other 00093<something> remote models that all appear to be the same thing with slightly different button names. I'd wager they're all the exact same electronically.

mgarcia

Reaction score
This is great news! :)
I'll get one ASAP!
Thanks for the info :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.