US News Can Students Be Paid to Excel?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The fourth graders squirmed in their seats, waiting for their prizes. In a few minutes, they would learn how much money they had earned for their scores on recent reading and math exams. Some would receive nearly $50 for acing the standardized tests, a small fortune for many at this school, P.S. 188 on the Lower East Side of Manhattan.

When the rewards were handed out, Jazmin Roman was eager to celebrate her $39.72. She whispered to her friend Abigail Ortega, “How much did you get?” Abigail mouthed a barely audible answer: $36.87. Edgar Berlanga pumped his fist in the air to celebrate his $34.50.

The children were unaware that their teacher, Ruth Lopez, also stood to gain financially from their achievement. If students show marked improvement on state tests during the school year, each teacher at Public School 188 could receive a bonus of as much as $3,000.

Last edited:

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I don't feel that the government incentive is right. It's a waste of tax dollars that can go towards better things. There's also already two other incentives; getting your diploma, and getting good grades so that colleges accept you.

I guess it's too much to ask kids these days to look into their future.

Centreri

Reaction score
Seriously. You're paying them to come to school, while providing a free service? Bloomberg's on crack.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I wish they did this in Florida.
I'd be bloody rich.
I personally love this idea because I already do well in school and now I'd be getting paid for it?
Hell yes!

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
They should do this for highschoolers mainly cuz once you're in highschool you don't have much motivation left to do good in school... :p

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Yea, forget the middle/elementary-schoolers!
It'll make it like "I wana get to High School!"
It would just improve school overall, I think.

Matemeo

Reaction score
Depending on where the money originated, I think this is a bad ass idea, and it would definitely help!

A

aznsteph

lol if they had that in canada, id be the smartest kid in school =]

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
It can have pros and cons.

What measures are being taken against cheating?
Many could use the money they gain for negative things, such as drugs, etc. and could easily cheat.

That could also ruin them. The ONLY reason they study would not be to study (for most), but gain money. While it should be for the reason of improving yourself and having a better future.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I don't feel that the government incentive is right. It's a waste of tax dollars that can go towards better things. There's also already two other incentives; getting your diploma, and getting good grades so that colleges accept you.

I guess it's too much to ask kids these days to look into their future.

The Lower East Side is a pretty poor district, and most of the kids that go to that school probably immigrated here and intend on taking over their family businesses. It's one of those areas where I would imagine you would feel like you've got no chance for success because your parents don't make enough money to send you to post-secondary school, anyway, and at that age I doubt they're thinking about the possibilities of scholarships. So no, good grades wouldn't be that much of an incentive if they have no intention of post-secondary school education.

It'll work out like a tax stimulus, so it's not that bad. It'll help the economy, so it's not much of a waste of tax money. It's not like we're moving thousands of people and tons upon tons of equipment and vehicles a few thousand miles just to move them back a month or two later....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.