World Canada: Man with 27 wives and 145 children doesn't want polygamy to be legalised

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Polygamy is a practice that is banned in most countries across the world, and is also one that is clearly seen as threat to women’s rights

With 27 wives and 145 children at the age of 59, Winston Blackmore has to be the poster-boy for polygamy, but instead he says that he won’t support legalisation of the practice, since he fears that ‘women could be exploited’.

The leader of a polygamist Mormon fundamentalist group in Canada said this while addressing an audience in Utah. He has also been arrested for polygamy in 2007, and has been tried twice for practising polygamy.

Referring to charges being dropped against him in 2007 due to concerns over selection of the special prosecutor, Blackmore was reported by The Salt Lake Tribune as saying, "And those suckers are after me day and night, I'm going to have to go another round with them."

Last edited by a moderator:

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
We have a lot of laws based on ambiguous moral authority here....

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I didnt even know that this is illegal. In my country we differentiate between a legal marriage as per the definition of the state and a church marriage. The religious marriage you get at a church is not really important to the state and has little legal consequences. The church can decide whome they want to get married and who is not allowed to. The legal marriage is done at the townhall and gives you certain rights and tax exemptions to help young couples. These can be done between any 2 individuals of legal age (probably some other rules like mental stability and what not).

You can not get a legal marriage with more than 1 person because that could be seen as an attempt at tax evasion, but as far as I know nobody is stopping you from getting a religious marriage to as many people as you like. Well, nobody except maybe the church which might not be cool with this.

Varine

Reaction score
well if it was legal it wouldn't be a tax evasion because they could just write it in...

Varine

Reaction score
Because they don't want to write a tax code for people with plural marriage...?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.