Technology Canada: 'Nobody wants that job': Some businesses are turning to robots to solve labour shortage woes

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Five years ago, if someone asked Ottawa restaurateur Amir Rahim if he’d consider swapping out his $10,000 Cimbali espresso machine for a $20,000 Swiss-made automatic coffee maker, he’d roll his eyes and go on a diatribe about how the secret to making the perfect latte is all in a human’s touch.

“I’ve changed my mind completely now,” said Rahim, the owner of Grounded Kitchen and Coffeehouse in the city’s downtown. “It makes a really good product and, actually, makes a better product than a human and all you have to do is push a button.”

The change of heart was prompted by a restaurant industry expo Rahim attended this spring in Toronto. There, he’d turn corners and bump into robots handing out pamphlets or walk down a line of booths and see digitized, locker-style walls of boxes holding customers’ pick-up orders. It blew his mind.

Then, faced with relocating after condo developers bought the building housing his restaurant, Rahim decided it was time to automate as many parts of his new restaurant-cafe as he reasonably could — especially as a labour shortage made it difficult to hire staff.

“I’m using an automated process because it solves the challenge of finding people to do the job,” he said.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.