Gaming Canada: We’re Number Three

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Canada, according to data from the Entertainment Software Association of Canada (ESCA), is now the world’s third-largest home to game developers, surpassing the United Kingdom and trailing only Japan and the United States.

While the UK tries to compensate by finally passing tax-breaks for those in the game development sector, GamePolitics caught up with Peter White (pictured), President of the London (Ontario) Economic Development Corporation (LEDC), which, in turn, is a member of the Ontario Technology Corridor (OTC).

The five-year old OTC promotes Ontario as a region that is especially receptive to technology and videogame developers, complete with tax incentives, affordable cost-of-living and a treasure trove of universities turning out skilled graduates that are ready to go to work.

Read more here.

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
:D... Canada... will not be nuked in my plan for world domination

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
thats biased. in my plan of world domination, i spin the globe and stab my finger and nuke wherever it lands.

Ontopic, go canada! :)

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
The NOC doesn't even have "Game Design", only "Game Development" which is videogame programming.
How should I ever qualify to immigrate if they don't even list my job?
Just lol.

Matemeo

Reaction score
The NOC doesn't even have "Game Design", only "Game Development" which is videogame programming.
How should I ever qualify to immigrate if they don't even list my job?
Just lol.

Most companies would recommend you do not take a Game Design major. Emphasis on it with a very strong backing in either Software Engineering or Computer Science is recommended. A lot of people pigeonhole themselves into Game Design and don't have the technical knowhow to back it up.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
Emphasis on it with a very strong backing in either Software Engineering or Computer Science is recommended.

Certainly. The problem is though that you need to have had a job that's listed in the NOC for one year. Computer Science is, but If my job is Game Design, I still don't fit the requirements no matter what I graduated in.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Certainly. The problem is though that you need to have had a job that's listed in the NOC for one year. Computer Science is, but If my job is Game Design, I still don't fit the requirements no matter what I graduated in.

Therefore, switch your major to Political Science.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.