Cataclysm Discussion

[ kbrito ]

Reaction score
Well... Cataclysm was just anouced and i feel that people will soon start so say how this expasion will ruin the game and lore and such stuff...

I found the choice of new races a bit strange, it's true that Goblins are nice and we have gnomes as a playable race, but WORGEN!? WHY THE HELL WORGEN!? There are such nicer races like Ogres, Naga (I WANT TO BE A NAGA) and such stuff...

Also the changes in the maps are going to be in some aspects awful... like, i liked the way the old maps were and now they are all going to be like magma and scorched stuff everywhere >_>

The only thing i found really awesome about this expansion was the Fliying Mounts in azeroth. OMG! That's fucking awesome...

Well, concluding, The Burning Crusade is still my fav WoW Expansion since i think it added much more new stuff than the other expansions.. There will be still more features about Cataclysm to be revealed, but i think it will be not as good as TBC... -.-

Later Edit:

Other thing i found bad about this EP were the new Race\Class combinations... Acourding to the new trailer, trolls will be able to be druids, tauren are going to be able to be PALADINS (OMG) and gnomes, priests... As long with the new human Hunters and Blood Elf Warriors...
What is this? If they knew all this was going to happen they would have let these races become these classes long ago... Like, this is just casual\money making from Blizzard.... -.-
One thing that i found nice about WoW was the separation of classes and races and the limitations of each one, and now all races will be able to be almost all classes! That's ridiculous... >_<

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
Ugh, TBC was by far what ruined WoW for me. Even Blizz admitted they messed up.

I do agree about certain race/class combinations being awkward such as Tauren priest, but I'm sure we'll get used to it.

Rainther

I guess I should write something of value here...
Reaction score
When letting Taurens be Paladins and Gnomes Priests, it's simply removing the last inch of RPG WoW had left according to me. It results in you simply picking a model (race) you like and get all the opportunities. But why do you pick a create of the wild and suspects to throw hammers and talk about righteouness or pick a little creature who rejects the believes of the Light to science (as most of us irl have done).

And I just sight at Blizzards attempt to find a new race for the Allience each time they come up with a good race for the Horde. Why not add Furbolgs instead?

And bringing a big meanie dragon back is probably just to satisfy old raiders. I've read how old raiders (pre TBC, vanilla) prefered dragonbattles instead of floating octupusses and machines.

But sure, I love Goblins. The expansion might be good. And I really doubt Blizzard can patch up WoW to it's original form, no matter what the next expansion would've been.

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
It looks amazing. The new art design is stunning along with the music (from what I saw in the zone previews). Can't wait for the underwater zone and a new leveling experience.

As for how it ruins lore? It doesn't. It merely progresses it. Worgen are a bit of an unusual choice, but it's not some obnoxious lollore and still makes sense when you read it.

My only complaint is that they announced it maybe too soon... I have no desire to play WotLK now.

punwisp

Reaction score
Well... Cataclysm was just anouced and i feel that people will soon start so say how this expasion will ruin the game and lore and such stuff...

I found the choice of new races a bit strange, it's true that Goblins are nice and we have gnomes as a playable race, but WORGEN!? WHY THE HELL WORGEN!? There are such nicer races like Ogres, Naga (I WANT TO BE A NAGA) and such stuff...

Also the changes in the maps are going to be in some aspects awful... like, i liked the way the old maps were and now they are all going to be like magma and scorched stuff everywhere >_>

The only thing i found really awesome about this expansion was the Fliying Mounts in azeroth. OMG! That's fucking awesome...

Well, concluding, The Burning Crusade is still my fav WoW Expansion since i think it added much more new stuff than the other expansions.. There will be still more features about Cataclysm to be revealed, but i think it will be not as good as TBC... -.-

Later Edit:

Other thing i found bad about this EP were the new Race\Class combinations... Acourding to the new trailer, trolls will be able to be druids, tauren are going to be able to be PALADINS (OMG) and gnomes, priests... As long with the new human Hunters and Blood Elf Warriors...
What is this? If they knew all this was going to happen they would have let these races become these classes long ago... Like, this is just casual\money making from Blizzard.... -.-
One thing that i found nice about WoW was the separation of classes and races and the limitations of each one, and now all races will be able to be almost all classes! That's ridiculous... >_<

You wont see the new revampe terrain I believe, its in "phases" like n wotlk where pple are in diff versions of the area. this is for like ppl in thes 80s I believe, or more then likely, if they dont have expansion they wont see it, and if they have expansion, they will

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
You wont see the new revampe terrain I believe, its in "phases" like n wotlk where pple are in diff versions of the area. this is for like ppl in thes 80s I believe, or more then likely, if they dont have expansion they wont see it, and if they have expansion, they will

Most of the destruction caused in Cataclysm will be seen by everyone including those who have not upgraded. Though I'm sure terrain phasing will affect certain small areas but I've heard they've made significant improvements in that area.

Rainther

Reaction score
How the heck are you then supposed to level up? Everyone has to go to Worgen and Goblins starting area? : | or it that ruined destroyed too?

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
How the heck are you then supposed to level up? Everyone has to go to Worgen and Goblins starting area? : | or it that ruined destroyed too?

I think they are changing a number of the zones as regards appropriate level. Only one I can remember fully is Azshara becoming Lv10-20 (presumably the next zone that Goblin players will go to)

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score

Redesign zones, quests, etc. I believe they will change quests to suit the new quest design, having items that actually are of value, less quest line and more non-linear quest hubs, etc.

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
Just a quick recap of the new race/class combinations.

Night Elf Mages - originally, mages were a HUGE part of night elf society, as the highborne. Many have turned into naga, high elves, or have been cast of out society (some are in Dire Maul). However, due to Cataclysm, Night Elves are willing to let the highborne back into their ranks.

Tauren Paladin - Tauren Paladins worship the sun. They draw from its strength to use the light.

Troll Druid - The Loa Gods. They worship a variety of animal deities and it makes perfect sense for them to be able to assume the shapes of various animals.

Human Hunter - Scarlet Crusade. Grizzly Hills. Bye!

Dwarf Mage - this was in the beta, and I see PLENTY of dwarven fire mages in the game that we face.

Gnome Priest - This one is a bit weak but is not unplausible. In dire times, it is likely some gnomes might convert and begin to worship a god, rather than just rely on machinery.

Undead Hunter - Their faction leader is a hunter. There is another UD hunter in EPL (who is hella tough to kill, might I add). It makes sense.

So it's not "lol lore". Each one is plausible, if you just take time and accept it. Things change. Just because it's unusual doesn't mean it's ridiculous.

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
goblins make sense to me, worgen don't. But I've learned long ago not to care at all about lore anymore, Blizzard can write in or erase any bit of history anywhen they want. the trailer looks cool, I might pick up WoW again before it comes out (in what, 5 years?) if I'm not too busy.

edit - seems like Outland is going to become very desolate. Tumbleweeds and the such.

Rainther

Reaction score
Isn't it already deserted? God I hate when Wotlk came out. The entire Outlands had been overthrown by Death Knights xD

And since TBC it doesn't really matter what expansion they release. The original storyline is forever ruined aslong as they don't do a "Zomg-caverns-of-times-resetted-everything-except-your-character's-stats" expanison, but that'd just be lame.

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
Isn't it already deserted? God I hate when Wotlk came out. The entire Outlands had been overthrown by Death Knights xD

And since TBC it doesn't really matter what expansion they release. The original storyline is forever ruined aslong as they don't do a "Zomg-caverns-of-times-resetted-everything-except-your-character's-stats" expanison, but that'd just be lame.

How is it that the story is so ruined? The one major retcon, with the eredar and Sargeras, was already admitted by Chris Metzen. I don't see how it is lore-ruining, so please enlighten me; what ruined the story for you?

Rainther

Reaction score
It just felt "wtf" that I as a blood elf had to kill Kael'thas, who did everything in his might to save me (the blood elf) and the rest of my people and that he didn't die (guess he pressed the Release Spirit button or something) and then went serving Kael'thas isn't really something I can follow up with. Did he become too corrupted (like 50% of all WoW bosses) that he abadoned his beliefs and all just for a big bag of magic?

And didn't Illidan swear to Malfurion that he'd never harm their kind again? He goes on a messing-spree against Shattrah apperntly.

And too be honest I hated to see them getting killed, they were the coolest guys ever in Wc3, including Vashj. :p

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
It just felt "wtf" that I as a blood elf had to kill Kael'thas, who did everything in his might to save me (the blood elf) and the rest of my people and that he didn't die (guess he pressed the Release Spirit button or something) and then went serving Kael'thas isn't really something I can follow up with. Did he become too corrupted (like 50% of all WoW bosses) that he abadoned his beliefs and all just for a big bag of magic?

And didn't Illidan swear to Malfurion that he'd never harm their kind again? He goes on a messing-spree against Shattrah apperntly.

And too be honest I hated to see them getting killed, they were the coolest guys ever in Wc3, including Vashj. :p

Kael'thas didn't see himself as traitor. He was trying to find a source of magic for his people, and he was so willing to that task that he lost sight of his sense of honor and duty. When the Blood Elves of the Horde turned against him, he thought that he was betrayed, not the other way around.

As for him not dying, in a world all full of strange magics, how is it that strange that he was able to live? Just because Blizzard doesn't go into complete detail as to how he survived doesn't mean it's complete bull crap.

Illidan, above all else, cares about self-preservation, even if that means breaking an oath (he doesn't seem the type to be very honest anyways).

As for "everyone" getting corrupted, it makes sense. You say this, but even in mythology (Greek, for example), most heroes eventually have their downfall. The same is true in Warcraft lore. People like Arthas and Kael'thas and Mograine (who was redeemed, mind you) had their downfall; Sargeras too. I do partially agree that blizz sometimes overuses this as a method to create villains, but tbh it's more realistic. Because in reality there aren't a whole lot of people running around just going to kill everyone for the hell of it. Blizzard uses the corruption as a continuous theme, present in a lot of their games.

Just because the lore didn't turn out the way you hoped it would doesn't mean it's ruined.

Rainther

Reaction score
You make many valid points, indeed.

I'm just tired of having to fight so many bosses that has been corrupted.

And I don't understand the part about the dragons either. They are to protect the world, but half of them are either trying to destroy the world and most others are either not fightning or sleeping. However there are extremly few of their minions who doesn't respond hostile against the players.

It's many things I don't fully understand what Blizzard was thinking when they made WoW. For example what makes Night Elves and Humans such good allies? The only difference between Humans and Orcs are that the Orcs have to harvest Ashenvale cause Barrens got no trees.
Tyrande slaughtered humans and orcs alike at the very first sight of them.
Guess they're still pissed on the fact that the Orcs caused the death of Centurion or something...

PS: It's fun to discuss with you. Many who plays WoW defends it with their lives as if it were their religion or something, but you seem very open minded. ;)

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
There are gnome priests in gnomergan in the fallout area.

Rainther

Reaction score
They got reason to believe in a higher might. They're god damn surrounded by Troggs! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.