Minigame Catch them All

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
So, yes, a minigame...

Couldn't be any simpler really.
You're in control of a Circle of Power.

It can be moved to anywhere on the map by a simple right-click on the ground.

There's a bunch of jumping balls on the map.
If they pass over your circle, you score some points.
The smaller the ball, the more points (<- read that again).

That's it already.

Repeat for 5 minutes.
Highest score wins.

Yours,
AceHart

Changelog:

v1.0:
- initial release
- playable proof of concept

v1.1:
- less balls overall
- new ability: Shrink
- catching to a brand new dimension: you actually have to catch them... (you asked for it, don't blame me )
- the rarer the ball type, the more points you get

v1.2:
- new terrain

v1.3:
- new ability: Confusion
- fixed a feature with messages showing for all players

Questions and answers:

Q: I didn't get the rules
A: iQuit

Q: There's not enough balls!
A: Well... maybe. No idea. Post a replay

Q: Anywhere on the map seems to have some limit
A: Yep, snow.

Q: Are you really sure BNet was waiting for this map?
A: Absolutely

Q: Power Catch(tm) has no hotkey
A: I know

The map:

Attachments

• CatchThemAll_v1.3_Minigame_AceHart.w3x
    58.9 KB · Views: 456

Cloak_Master

Reaction score
What's up with catching balls midair? Do a unit height check or something. Not bad otherwise for a couple minutes of fun, but seems too easy because the ball doesn't even have to be near the ground to get points.

AceHart

Reaction score
"No plan ever survives first contact"

This started as a demo to see how many "jumping things" a map could handle.
Passed 200 easily...

Since I didn't want to just throw away a perfectly good mass-jumping "system"...
Well, the original was to click on the balls.
A nightmare.

Then came the catching.

With a unit and an ability.
Way too slow and difficult.

So the ability was removed, and the unit did it directly.

Unit was too slow when moving, hence the instant teleport.
Along with a recode of the Rally ability... rather interesting.

And, finally, caching them when going down only, or, worse, only when close to the ground?
Too difficult to use.

You're busy enough as it is.
Especially with more players.

Keep it simple.
Always.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
very nice idea but i found some bugs:
-the power catch is somehow a little bit bugged because some balls werent catched by me even if they were in range. (balls which were more further away were catched but close ones aint)
-some balls do just stay still on the ground Oo
-you do also catch flying balls. (not on the ground)
-when you use power catch after the winner has been choosen you will spawn penguins!

and here some suggestions:
-Remove the selection circle around your circle of power
-maybe make your circle of power a little bit smaller, the game is kinda easy right now
-you could add some "special" balls which do bonuses like:
->for the next seconds you get double points
->all other players lose some of their points
->you absorb some of the closest enemys points
->you lose some of your points (a bad ball xD)
->you flash the screen of your enemys black for some seconds
->something else...

good luck, keep the good work

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just hosted on Battle.net to get you one of your much loved replays, but no one apart from me could move. I forgot to get a replay though :p Although there was not much to replay beings that only I could move.

Also, I think you should add a message in-game to tell people how to move.

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
-some balls do just stay still on the ground Oo
-you do also catch flying balls. (not on the ground)
yap. yap.

-when you use power catch after the winner has been choosen you will spawn penguins!
Really? Awesome. Maybe I should have played it to the end lol.

It's nice as a system and all... but personally I find the map to be boring right now. Really boring.
Well, it would be better if you could only catch them if they hit the ground, but still...
And maybe it's more fun in multiplayer, but I doubt so. Banish is *yawn*.

You're tyring to show how many balls fly around lag free, that's cool I guess. But A LOT less balls and some decent abilities to piss of your opponents... a fight for every ball, that would actually be fun.

And you need a pokeball model! That'd be epic. xD

Don

Rise with the Fallens!
Reaction score
As usual, Ace made one of the best game on the net, it is beating Dota whitout a doubt, other people just dont admit it :O

Yeah nice job, just think about a way to rem0ove midair ball catching, it's not like if circle could jump o_O

:p

EDIT: Consider changing name to ''Catch'em All'', makes more pokemonish :D

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
Two replays from Europe server, went good, I won both games (I think). Sometimes thought they didn't knew what to do and dunno did they used Penguin ability to catch more balls.

I sometimes aimed to blink near them so I could use my disable ability, I didn't noticed they did same, though they used that ability.

Attachments

• Northrend v1.0 4 players.w3g
    27.2 KB · Views: 422
  • Northrend v1.0 4 players Second Try.w3g
    17.2 KB · Views: 231

AceHart

Reaction score
Just when you think you've seen it all, along comes someone with maps\TheHelperNet\Try Them Out 2\...
Every heard of maps\Download?

Replays require
- the very same map
- that map in the very same folder it was when the replay game was played!

Other than that, yes...
It's clear, for now, that this game is either way too difficult, or way too easy :p

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
I didn't bother reading all the posts in this thread.

Here's my opinion on Catch Them All:
+I liked it, it is a nice "party game". :thup:
+The jumps/bounces looked good. =)
+The models for the "balls" are great.

-Everything I right-clicked my unit made an annoying sound. (Like when placing a rally point, sort of), that sucked. :p
-The terrain could've been slightly more interessting.
-The balls all look the same, except for size. They could easily get random color and look a lot more fun! :p
-I seemed to catch anything that was directly over my circle. I was expecting the balls to land in my circle, before catching it.
--I clicked one of the balls and its name was 'Albatross'. (I don't want to be able to click them at all -Locust. | If I accidentally click them, I want them to be named something suiting.. like 'Bouncy Ball'.)

Nevertheless, good job! :thup:
+rep <3 (can't rep you again.. Haxx some +rep to yourself, from me!)

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got you a replay Ace.

Attachments

• Catch them All.w3g
    31.8 KB · Views: 271

AceHart

Reaction score
v1.1 up.

Lordaeron winter is not very interesting terrain wise...
The clicking noise that sounds like Rally comes from the fact that it actually is Rally.

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
V1.1 is a lot better than v1.0 :) :thup:

*However, that annoying rally-point-sound remains. :p
(Maybe attack-ground could be a substitute?)
*The balls should be able to bounce in any direction, imo. (At least the "normal" ones, they look like they could be able to bounce in a different direction.)
*Terrain is still not interessting. :p
-Maybe you could add blockers that randomly pop-up and annoy the heck out of people? (Like trees and rocks, etc. That goes away after a few seconds.)
*It would be easier if the camera was more zoomed out, I believe. (Maybe that's your intentions, though?)

We're not keeping it simple anymore, huh? :p

AceHart

Reaction score
> The balls should be able to bounce in any direction

They already are not jumping in straight lines... more of that would make catching them too random.

> if the camera was more zoomed out

Any more and it starts to get really dark at the borders... :p

Changelog 1.2:

- New terrain! Didn't like the old one either :p

v1.3:

- new ability: Confusion
- features with text messages...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.