News CentOS Linux is dead—and Red Hat says Stream is “not a replacement”

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
On Tuesday, Red Hat CTO Chris Wright and CentOS Community Manager Rich Bowen each announced a massive change in the future and function of CentOS Linux. Moving forward, there will be no CentOS Linux—instead, there will (only) be CentOS Stream.

Originally announced in September 2019, CentOS Stream serves as "a rolling preview of what's next in RHEL"—it's intended to look and function much like a preview of Red Hat Enterprise Linux as it will be a year or so in the future.

CentOS—which is short for Community Enterprise Linux Operating System—was founded in 2004. CentOS' first 2004 release was named version 2—to coincide with then-current RHEL 2.1. Since then, each major version increment of RHEL has resulted in a corresponding new major version of CentOS, following the same versioning scheme and built largely from the same source.

Traditional CentOS is a free-as-in-beer rebuilding of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) operating system, built from RHEL's own source code—but with Red Hat's proprietary branding removed and without Red Hat commercial support. This allowed CentOS to enjoy guaranteed binary compatibility with "proper" RHEL.

As a non-paywalled, no-hassles version of RHEL, CentOS appealed to a broader market of developers, tinkerers, and others who might eventually decide to upgrade to commercially supported RHEL. It also made it easier for developers to build and manage dev environments that would be guaranteed-compatible to their commercially supported RHEL production environments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
The Helper used to run on CentOS until fairly recently.

I've been moving to Ubuntu LTS for most server needs these days and it seems like that was a good decision in light of this announcement.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, at work I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, and so far no issues.

I used to use CentOS 7 at work, but I stopped using it after attempting to install office printer drivers at work. Printer still is a hassle, and ended up buying myself a home printer. :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.