Chain Nova

ultimate11

Reaction score
I want to make a skill that caster cast a frost ball that jump 12 times in random enemy dealing damage.The problem is that i cant succes in making.I dont need it MUi.If some can help me with this spell pls replay else do nothing :D.
Trigger:

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
- pick some units near the caster and add them to a group
- set groupVariable = Random x units from (group)
- pick all the units in groupVariable
- - do the nova actions
- - wait some time

inevit4ble

Reaction score
- pick some units near the caster and add them to a group
- set groupVariable = Random x units from (group)
- pick all the units in groupVariable
- - do the nova actions
- - wait some time

would you not create dummies at the last target hit to cast the "next jump" to make it look like its jumping?

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
It's up to you how you execute it.

You just have to wait for one "jump" effect to end before starting another to make it looks like "jumping".

Or at least start the effects in intervals.

Smitty

Reaction score
Similarly, wouldn't picking all units in group and doing actions make it just multishot the spell? Or do them one after the other, depending on whether the cooldown is 0 (if you were using a dummy)

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
You don't have to pick the random units one by one in a sequence, you can do that all in one go -- hence the group action.

Picking the units in the group is for "applying" the effect and yes, it will make it "multishot"... unless you wait some time before doing the next effect.

Hence the wait.

Though it will not be MUI.

Smitty

Reaction score
I think he wants it to bounce, in which case you'd simply run a looping trigger X times (X=bounces) creating a dummy caster at the point of the target which will then hit the next target from a unit group composed of all enemy units Y range from the last target, and so on and so on.

That or make a spell based on chain lightning

ultimate11

Reaction score
i think i can figure out.The ideea tha i want to do it is base on a dummy unit that move to the point of a random enemy unit then aply effect of frost nova and so on 12 times.
I think to use a periodic trigger that move dummy ,checking position of dummy then cast the ability.This is what i think so far.
What do u say about it?

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
i would do it like this, create a unit in object editor with the missle file you want to use for how it travels (assuming you want this spell to be like the lich dota ultimate which frost novas a target then bounces and frost novas another then bounces and frost novas another etc) then give the unit the locust ability and a frost nova with a very short range (45ish) then do a trigger like this

starts the missle

event
a unit casts an ability
condition
ability being cast equal to chain nova is true
actions
create 1 chain nova missle at a point with offset (make it in front of the casting unit slightly so it looks like it came out of the front and not from the core of the unit)
order last created unit to cast the frost nova on target of ability being cast
set targeted (unit variable with array for player numbers) = target of ability being cast
set hit count (integer variable) = (max number of bounces after the first target) IE: 8 would mean it would hit the first target, then bounce 8 times before it is destroyed, i recommend changing this depending on level using if/then/else or arithmetic like 2 x level of ability for unit

changes the bounce target and removes the missle when there are no units to bounce to or the max number of bounces have been completed

events
a unit casts an ability on a target
conditions
ability being cast is equal to frost nova
actions
if then else
if
number of units in area matching condition is greater than or equal to 1 (unit is an enemy of owner of casting unit, and unit is not equal to targeted unit, and bounce count is equal to 0 is false)
then
pick random unit in (bounce range) of targeted unit matching conditions (unit is an enemy of owner of casting unit, and unit is not equal to targeted unit) and do actions
order nova missle to cast frost nova on picked unit
set targeted = picked unit
set hit count = hit count - 1
else
remove frost nova missle

id set the movespeed of the missle to 522 or higher with a speed editing system

Smitty

Reaction score
That's a neat idea to use the event 'unit begins the effect'. It solves the problem withe old DotA chain frost where it would hit a location then bounce. I suspect that's because icefrog stored the location of the next target as a variable, which made the spell look wrong.

In terms of making this spell, you probably want to make a custom buff and attach it to the ability, that way you can detect when a unit is hit by it. Create a variable to count the number of bounces so far (each time you run the looped actions add 1 to it's value then add condition 'variable is less than X') then create your dummy unit at the position of the unit under the effect of the buff, tell it to pick all units within Y range and choose one at random, so on and so forth. I suspect this is similar to vypur's method, I'm just spelling it out :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.