Melee Changeling (Modular Custom Race)

Goober4473

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
[size=+1]The concept:[/size]
You select components of your custom race, rather than being given a set race. Originally this was created for a campaign, which may or may not get made, where each mission you select a new component to add to your race.

There are seven choices: 17 Tier 1 options, 11 spellcaster options, 11 seige options, 10 flying options, 4 naval options, 10 second barracks options, and 10 final options. There are a total of 8,228,000 possible combinations, and enough units, buildings, abilities, and upgrades for 12-13 complete races. I am insane for doing this.

SampleRace.jpg

(a sample set of choices)

I have documentation for all of the choices in game. You can also read it all here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526357/Documentation.txt
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526357/Documentation.doc

[size=+1]The Void:[/size]
There is another race, the Void, that I have just added. They are seperate from the customizable race options, as their mechanics are very strange. They do not use gold, but rather produce all units from a building constructed over a gold mine. They have various other strange mechanics as well. I'll do a full writeup of their units and whatnot later. For now, check them out in game.

Void.jpg

(void base with units and hero)

[size=+1]The story:[/size]
The Changelings are an extradimensional, immaterial race of shapeshifters that copy the forms of species they encounter in their dimensional travels in order to make war on each other and their common enemies. They have come to Azeroth to find new forms, hone their skills against each other, and ultimately destroy the Void, a race of anti-matter warriors that they have followed to Azeroth.

Six Changeling generals have come with their followers. In the campaign, you would play as one of these generals, and you would choose which encoutnered specimens should be added to your forces. Meanwhile, the other five are doing the same, but off screen, and they always make the same choices (for multiple play throughs).

[size=+2]Downloads and installation:[/size]
Currently, I am testing this system on a modified Booty Bay map. I'll be moving it over to a few more soon. To play, you need either the single player map with all of the files, or the multiplayer map and my mod MPQ file. The multiplayer version is the one uploaded to this site, but you also need the patch if you use that version. The single player version has extra files that confuse the automatic naming here, otherwise that would be what's uploaded.

For single player with no patch:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526357/(2)ChangelingMeleeBetaNoPatch1.1.w3x

Simply put the map in your Maps folder and run it through WarCRaft 3, or open it with the World Editor and choose File - Test Map. Just make sure that you aren't using a fixed random seed (File - Preferences - Test Map - Use Fixed Random Seed).

Or, you can use the multiplayer option:

For multiplayer:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526357/(2)ChangelingMeleeBeta1.1.w3x

You also need the patch to play the multiplayer version:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526357/War3PatchChangeling.mpq

Once you have these files, put the map somewhere in your Maps folder. If you have MPQDraft, you can use it to open the game with this patch. If you don't, you can simply rename this MPQ file to replace the War3Patch.mpq in your WarCraft 3 directory. Just make sure to backup the real one by moving it or renaming it. Then just open the game and play the map as a custom game.

You should be able to play over LAN and Battle.net, so long as everyone involved has this patch.

[size=+1]Testing:[/size]
I'd like any feedback you have. Comments, questions, balance issues, bugs, etc.

I realize it will be impossible to ever fully balance this monster, due to the 8,228,000 combinations, so that's not as important for testing.

I also realize this system isn't good for competition, as it's extremely difficult to anticipate what your opponent could possibly do, even with lots of scouting. It was designed for a camapaign, so that's unavoidable.

[size=+1]Credits:[/size]
Not all of the listed models/icons/spells are available in-game yet, but they're all in the mod/map, and will be used once the natural form Changeling race is done.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526357/Credits.txt

[size=+1]What's to come:[/size]
This map is complete and playable, but there are other things I want to add:

I am planning yet another race: Changelings in their natural form, which use mana in place of lumber as a secondary resource.

A friend should be writing new music for this mod soon as well.

I'd like to make AI for the Void and the five preset race options (the ones the NPCs would choose in the campaign). This could take a while, and may never happen unless I get a volunteer to do it for me.

And of course, if I ever get around to it, I'd like to make a campaign with this system, as that was the original idea. This also may not happen, since I've spent long enough on this thing, and still have more to do outside of a campaign. If I get enough interest though, I'll do it.

[size=+1]Changelog:[/size]
October 19, 2010: Updated the default map (the one uploaded here, not just linked in the description) to be the single player version. It now works through WarCraft 3 directly. Also fixed the patch file to be the most up to date version. If anyone had missing icons or models while playing, this will fix them.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No comments yet?

This is amazing. srsly.

Goober4473

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Thanks. Spread the word. :p

I'll be adding some tier 1 documentation to my main post once it lets me (having problems with editing that post). Until then, it'll be here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526357/Documentation.txt

The Void race is getting close to done. 7 of 15 units are done, the buildings are done, all four heroes are done, and all of the non-unit-specific upgrades are in. So just a matter of statting out more units and upgrades for them, which I've become brutally efficient at from the rest of this monster.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
i think one of the main reasons why this map wont get alot of replies is this:
[...]
To play, you need the map, and my mod MPQ file.
[...]
only a limited few would really want to download an extra MPQ file for a single map which they most probably couldnt even play in multiplayer.

Goober4473

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
That's true. Multiplayer works, but requires the patch on all ends.

I'd love to make it easier by creating an EXE to run, but when I make one with MPQDraft, it doesn't ever seem to work on anyone else's computer.

What I will do though, is provide an alternate download, with all of the patch files in the map. It won't work in multiplayer at all, since it'll be over the size limit, but it will be much easier to just download and play. I'll do that right now.

The Paragon

Reaction score
I can definitely see this being very refreshing to people who are tired of the typical match-ups and strategies that come with standard games. It's overwhelming at first but I guess that's why the presets are nice.

Yeah, the patching issue is a bit of a hang-up, but I still think this is worth a try.

Goober4473

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I can see how it could easily be a bit overwhelming with all of the options that you're unfamiliar with. The documentation I'm working on now should help with that some, as you'll get to know a little about what you're choosing before deciding, but ultimately it would be best in the campaign format.

In the campaign, you'd be introduced to each level of options one at a time, be given a chance to see them all in action before deciding, and then have some time to get used to your choice before makign another, so it would be much more manageable.

But I'm only going to actually make the campaign is there's enough outside interest.

Goober4473

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Back to working on this after a break. Choice 4 has documentation now, and I should have 5-7 done sometime soon. I'll probably do 5 tonight, since it's small.

[Edit]: Choice 5 is documented.

[Edit]: All choices documented.

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
Yeah I gotta say the concept for your project is absolutely awesome and original.

I haven't played it yet or anything, but just from reading your main post, two things make me nervous: 1) the sheer amount of customizability. Customizability is good, don't misunderstand, but too much of it can really confuse people and turn them off. 2) The fact that we would need a seperate MPQ file just to play one map (online), as Accname mentioned.

Whoareyou.

Reaction score
Changeling sounds more like a race that has a change ability and changes to a random unit every time selected o.o.
The Void sounds like the channel :p

Arist

Reaction score
I think the only problem of this is that no one cares about it at all.

The concept itself is hard to grasp. Who'll play a game where you can choose from seemingly random choices

Whoareyou.

Reaction score
People who test out games. You never know if its fun or boring. "Don't Judge a Book by its Cover". "Don't Judge a Game by its Name".

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
from what I can tell, the only reason you need the MPQ modification is because the file is too large for hosting, so you add custom models into the MPQ in order to reduce map size, right? I played the map a little bit through, and it's pretty cool. The one suggestion I have is with the ironbark Treants. They only build some structures in ironbark form, but they build others in their normal form, so finding structures can be a pain in the ass. Lastly, I haven't looked completely through this, but are all the units different, because with that many units some might be run-ons of each other and could be removed. (an example might be a demolisher and a catapult). Overall this seems like a really cool idea though, although I despise the normal wc3 melee format, but your race construction idea is really cool overall though!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.