Changing a unit's sight radius

Darius34

Reaction score
Is it possible to do this? The unit should not be able to see his own units. I tried Visibility - Create an initially Enabled visibility modifier for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) emitting Black mask from (Position of (Triggering unit)) to a radius of 300.00. Didn't work. Would use upgrades, but they are irreversible. Don't know of any item abilities that deal with sight...are there any?

Anything along those lines above will do, as long as a unit can have it's sight reduced. I understand not being able to see you own units may be impossible to make. Thanks for help.

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
Can you be more specific? Because Sight radius is not the same as minimap detection, or line of sight.

Posting a trigger will help us to help you as well.

Without seeing what you doing (or fully understanding even) I'll give some answers. There may be more ways of doing what you want.

1) Yes easily it's possible to change the units sight radius. Object editor. Stats I think. Or you could modify visibility Gameplay Constants under the Advanced menu.

The unit should not be able to see his own units.
This I dont understand. The Player is the one who can see all his units. On the minimap and on the screen. Are you talking about line of sight here? Are there walls in between your units or are you on an open field? Is the camera locked on one unit or is it free roaming?

You can hide units from the minimap by going to Object editor - Display on minimap - False.

Your Visibilty modifier is working because your telling Black Fog to Be On Triggering Unit, which already has a minimum visibilty on in it's stats. So your trigger IS working, it just doesn't look like its doing anything. You've told the black fog to be at a place where there is a lamp effectively. Doesn't work because where there is light, darkness flees.

Darius34

Reaction score
I mean sight radius, not any of the other two. For the trigger, all I have is that single action above.

I know you can change someone's sight radius that way. I want to do it ingame, and for any unit. If it's possible, yes, I want the player not to be able to see his own units, probably by making a black fog around the unit in question. The player would just be able to see one unit, and fog all around.

For the trigger, it's probably the way you suggested. How do I make the black fog then? Do I need to do anything to the triggering unit?

Reaction score
I do not get the point..

If yo uwan ta black mask, how are yo usupposed to check units?

Well, it is possible by setting sight radius to 0, in that case unit will not be seen under the fog of war.

As for decreaisng/increasing radius, I think I remember an item, maybe "Goblin Night Scope" or something like that that increased your sight.
Not sure though, haven't launched WE for awhile now.

chovynz

Reaction score
Make your unit have little visibilty (maybe 30) in the object editor
Make 1 abilites, SightUp,
SightUp the units starts with.
Visibilty modifier emmiting visibillty to range 500 w/e
When you want to reduce the visibilty, remove the ability using triggers.

Remember to hide them from the minimap (it sounds like you'd want to do that to, otherwise the player would see them ON the minimap.)

Darius34

Reaction score
You don't check your own units. It's meant to be a debuff. I'm aware that it might be impossible, but I want to find out for sure.

As for putting 0 in OE, mentioned above. Goblin Night Scope uses an upgrade (I think), so I can't use it.

EDIT: chovynz, what ability is it again?
Make 1 abilites, SightUp,
SightUp the units starts with.
Visibilty modifier emmiting visibillty to range 500 w/e
Sorry, I don't really get what you're saying in this part.

chovynz

Reaction score
[del]I didn't understand your last post at all.

Doing it the way I proposed will work.
Its sets your units to visibility very low; as a unit.
Then at map init it puts an ability that sets the visibilty to normal
When you want to "debuff" remove the ability - visibilty debuffed.[/del]

Edit: ok.

Make a custom ability that has visibilty of 500 or so.
Call this ability SightUp or something

Edit your units in the object editor so that they have very little or no visibility in their stats.

At map initialisation make a trigger that adds the ability Sightup to your units.
When you want them to "have reduced sight" remove the ability using triggers.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
i think you can make an upgrade that has a dummy requirement so it wont work unless the player has the requirement, and then trigger to give/take away the dummy's for the player

chovynz

Reaction score
Yes I wasn't very clear about that. Thats what I was aiming at. Thanks for clearing that up Slapshot136.

I just thought of another way.. and its probably easier than my first suggestion

Make all units low visibility in the object editor
Create an initially Enabled visibility modifier for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) emitting visibility from (Position of (Triggering unit)) to a radius of 300.00.
Disable Visibilty modifier (when debuffed)

It's really just doing what you did in reverse.
You had:
Unit starts with normal sight
Remove normal sight

I have:
Unit starts with low sight
Add normal sight
remove normal sight when I need.

Darius34

Reaction score
Thanks for the rapid replies. However,

I don't think there is an ability that adds sight. If there was I would have used it as such: set the sight added to a negative value, and add to whatever unit I want debuffed. (Remove it when the debuff ends). The only one is Ultravision, and that is a dummy - Ultravision uses an upgrade, which I cannot use.

Your second method would definitely be easier normally, but I have a lot of units and the debuff has to be applicable to all. And the visibility modifier stays on the ground, it does not follow the unit. So I don't think it'll work, sorry.

i think you can make an upgrade that has a dummy requirement so it wont work unless the player has the requirement, and then trigger to give/take away the dummy's for the player
Upgrades are irreversible - they cannot be removed. Said above.

I'm beat. It's 4:30am in my timezone. I'll be back tomorrow. :)

chovynz

Reaction score
I don't have access to the WE so I can't put a specific trigger up here. But I know it works. I've used the visibilty modifiers in my own maps. Plus every map I've ever played on has night and/or day. Think about how that works. Why is the visibility smaller at night than at day? (Because someone has set it like that in the Gameplay Constants.)

First, There is an ability called reveal. You might be able to use that.
Second, You could create a 500 visibility dummy unit that follows the low visibility triggering unit. Then just delete the dummy unit when the 'debuff' happens.
Third, You're gonna have the same amount of work no matter what method you use.
Fourth, you can create abilities that mimic any other ability you see or can think of, without the requirements for an upgrade. So there's no limits to what you can do other than imagination and knowhow. (And sometimes WC3 limitations - that's not the case here - and then there are other ways around the limitations.)

If there's lots of units, you can use common 'things' to identify which ones you want to add the ability to. For example you could use:
'pick all units belonging to player 1'
or 'pick all units of type Footman'
or 'pick all units of classification organic'
or 'pick all units on playable map area'

You just need to think of what is the most common denominator for the units you want to add this to. I don't really think I can help you any more on this without you posting a trigger, or you experimenting with what I've given you.

Darius34

Reaction score
The issue here is not whether the method works. I know it does. The issue is the practicality of this method. My map is an AoS, there are going to be at least 60+ units running around at any one time, very possibly more. Does that mean I have to have a dummy unit with 500 vision following every single creep, ancient and neutral? I can't use the night/day cycle because it's global for every player. And units have different vision ranges, so I can't use visibility modifiers for every single one. That would mean I'd have to create 60+ visibility modifiers in 60+ variables so I can enable/disable/destroy them later on. Or Far Sight with maybe 30+ different levels so I can Far Sight each unit.

Fourth, you can create abilities that mimic any other ability you see or can think of, without the requirements for an upgrade. So there's no limits to what you can do other than imagination and knowhow. (And sometimes WC3 limitations - that's not the case here - and then there are other ways around the limitations.)
I'm not sure what you mean. If you're talking about a dummy ability such as Moon Glaive or Ultravision, they don't work. These are dummies that do NOTHING at all - they just show an icon and a tooltip. They are simply there only to be triggered by an upgrade, informing the player why his Huntress' glaives are bouncing more. And AFAIK there are no abilities that increase sight the way Item Life Bonus does hp.

Third, You're gonna have the same amount of work no matter what method you use.
That's all I wanted to know, I guess. Thanks anyway.

Weyrling

Reaction score
Goblin Night Scope modifies Sight Range. It is under Special -> Items -> Item Sight Range Bonus

chovynz

Reaction score
I'm feeling a bit irritated here that I don't know how to get across to you what I'm saying. I've said the solutions as simply as I could. I'm responding directly to your posts with solutions to what you're asking, and you tell me they dont work - seemingly without trying them.

And I can't tell if you were being sarcastic or not in saying "Wow. All that trouble for that ability. Thanks a LOT," So I'll say this. I thought you couldn't use that ability (Goblin Night Scope) for some reason.

I feel like all of my posts on this thread have been a waste of my time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.