Tutorial Changing WC3 Background

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
Changing WC3 Background

In this tutorial, you will learn of changing your own Warcraft 3 TFT background from the Frozen Throne to another background of your choice.

Credits go to http://forum.judgehype.com/judgehype...t-239725-1.htm, english translation by proute.fr from Age of Oblivion forums.

prote.fr's original Tutorial

1. What you Need

In order to complete this nice process of this tutorial, you will require:

-WinMPQ
-Warcraft Viewer

2. Extraction

Use Warcraft3Viewer to extract your model, use the log to find your files:

Go to:

"File ==> Open MPQ ==> War3.mpq or War3x.mpq".

Here you will find your background files in:
"UI ==> Glues ==> SinglePlayer ==> (your background)".

Then right click==> extract MDX, you can save it on your desktop or another place (This means for you to find your background of choice and extract it to some place).

NOTES: When finding the MPQ of your Warcraft 3, there are 2 kinds of MPQs which are strictly for TFT and ROC. Here is the MPQs and their Warcraft files inside:

TFT MPQ: war3x.mpq
ROC MPQ: war3.mpq

WARNING: Also, just to be careful of risks, copy your file: War3.mpq or War3x.mpq (Whichever file you're going to replace).

3. Terminate & Addition

Now, you may close your Warcraft Viewer. Now, open WinMPQ and go to one of the designated files: war3x.mpq or war3.mpq.

Once you opened the MPQ archive, find:

UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d_exp\MainMenu3d_exp.mdx and delete it. If you can't, close Warcraft 3, the World Editor, and Warcraft 3 Viewer. Then, click Add and then add the background. Then, rename the background to this:

UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d_exp\MainMenu3d_exp.mdx.

Then again, find the file you added and remove the extra names so it only says:

UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d_exp\MainMenu3d_exp.mdx.

4. Conclusion

Okay, you're all set! Here's my background of the result from today:

Lich Background

Okay, if you ran into errors, check through here:

If your background is black, then you missed Step 3, if your background if always the Frozen Throne of the Lich King, then you missed Step 2!

Thanks for viewing and I hope you like your new background!

Questions about this? Please ask here!

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
Will the background be able to have animations in some way? and if so, how?

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
Oh so this is the undead menu lich you've set as a background insted?, i was thinking if you could make your own background animated, and import them!

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
Oh so this is the undead menu lich you've set as a background insted?, i was thinking if you could make your own background animated, and import them!

Yes, it's the background fro my TFT. I exchanged my Frozen Throne background for the ROC Undead Campaign background.

I'm not sure about that, maybe you can.

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
Is there a site what offers these backgrounds ? So we could change them like wallpapers ?

I'm not sure you can do that unless it's a .mdl file. I use Undead Campign RoC Background for the main menu background. But if you want some other background, beware of risks that may occur (It might happen). That's why you should copy your War3.mpq or War3x.mpq if you screw up.

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
I couldn't get the link of the thread to here (Since it will only bring you to the forum entrance) so I imported the information to this thread, if I only got the thread's link, I wouldn't have written most of this.

I gave the credits (Located under the title) because it would be stealing if I didn't give credits. I made this more simple to understand and I know that prote.fr doesn't go here.

Well, I'll add the link too, since it was the original tutorial.

Master

Thou shall be helped by...The Black Adder!
Reaction score
Even if you give credits or so, did you even care to search to see if it's not posted before?
:p <---click at smiley

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
Oh.....I haven't seen that tutorial before....must've not been checking the World Edit Help Zone often as usual back then :(. I'm always checking the Member's Projects, but not too much of the World Edit Help Zone....

Master

Thou shall be helped by...The Black Adder!
Reaction score
No problem...I believe everyone's fine with that.
Also, a strange thing is the other person who wrote this is banned, lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.