Report Children adopted by same-sex couples fare as well as or better than those adopted by heterosexuals

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Research into adoptive families headed by same-sex couples paints a positive picture of relationships and wellbeing in these new families. The study, which was carried out by Cambridge University, suggests that adoptive families with gay fathers might be faring particularly well.

In-depth research into the experiences of adoptive families headed by same-sex couples suggests that children adopted by gay or lesbian couples are just as likely to thrive as those adopted by heterosexual couples. It also reveals that new families cope just as well as traditional families with the big challenges that come with taking on children who have had a poor start in life.

A report outlining key findings from the research – which was carried out by a team at Cambridge University’s Centre for Family Research – is published today by the British Association of Adoption and Fostering (BAAF) to coincide with LGBT Adoption and Fostering Week. The study is the first of its kind in the UK.

The research explored in considerable detail the experiences of 130 adoptive families, looking at important aspects of family relationships, parental wellbeing and child adjustment. The study compared three kinds of adoptive families: those headed by gay fathers (41 families), those headed by lesbian mothers (40 families), and those headed by heterosexual parents (49 families).

“We worked with more than 70 adoption agencies across the UK to recruit families. The participating families were similar in terms of ethnicity, socioeconomic status and education,” says Professor Susan Golombok, director of the Centre for Family Research and co-author of the report.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Eh? Gay parents are better than straight parents?
Seriously... there is "no way to say one is better than the other"!

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
If they parents get children, arent those infected with the gay virus as well?!?!

FireCat

Reaction score
Eh wut? ^

Anyway.. didn't know It was a competition. .And It's complete and utter BS that they are better, Just simply because of their sexual orientation. What about the children of "gay parents" fit in with their peers from traditional families etc... And what is their experience in later life? Hmm

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Eh wut? ^

Anyway.. didn't know It was a competition. .And It's complete and utter BS that they are better, Just simply because of their sexual orientation. What about the children of "gay parents" fit in with their peers from traditional families etc... And what is their experience in later life? Hmm
Why so touchy?

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Wut?

The one person I know who has same-sex parents was raised up quite strangely and today is a bit strange. I'm not forming a statement from that, obviously one case is not all cases, I'm just saying something for jokes.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
You did avoid my question @Accname "Are you GAY?"
Oh hi there sweetheart. Na na na, dont rush like that on me, we hardly know each other. ;)

What would my "girlfriend" say about this, huh?

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
I'm guessing an alien.
1564.jpg
Heart-icon.png
4Z2-JDcqK28_t_jE6a5xY26RCHhGzCVY1qNeGvwgYjR8M5wOLALyX0ZalHEO1gKYFzZW__jD=s128-h128-e365

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
The old Greeks were almost all gay.
I don't see why herterosexuals should be better.

The only thing I don't like about homosexuals is their laugh :p Thats whx I don't joke around gay people. Am I right FC?

FireCat

Reaction score
I don't see why herterosexuals should be better.
Well, "homosexuals" they certainly aren't any better. Right?!

The only thing I don't like about homosexuals is their laugh :p Thats whx I don't joke around gay people. Am I right FC?
Hmm because of their laugh? I don't know.. But most gays I've seen, over acting and acting ridiculous!

Oh I see an alien. lol

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Well, "homosexuals" they certainly aren't any better. Right?!
Right, as long as you're willing to admit the opposite to be true as well. The most important thing to take from it is that gays can make fine parents, too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.