Defense Children of the Light (WIP)

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
Children of the Light
icons_621_btn.jpg

By Ghostwind

Intro:
This is my contest entry for Hive's contest, not a huge project, but I figured I would post here as I'm working steadily on it and I plan on continuing development after the contest is over.
This is a 4-player hero defense with a darkness/undead/magic theme. You play as members of a necromantic cult that is defending its underground castle from an invading force of paladins known as the "Children of the Light." The primary objective is to secure the location of the head necromancer, (some cool name beginning with an X), while he summons a portal to escape through. After 30 minutes, the portal is complete and you win.

Unique Features:
I haven't really done too much as far as gameplay concepts go, I'm still working on the terrain, but here's some ideas I have in mind.
- Creeps do not spawn in "waves". You don't have some little timer going off until THE ENEMY sends in another wave of mindless creeps to kill that each give an increasing amount of gold and have an increasing amount of health. Instead, the game progresses like a campaign mission, there is a little bit of cinematic screenplay, and things that happen actually make sense. I'm even coming up with a little bit of a story, and once the contest is over, I might get someone to do me some voice acting.
- You don't get "lives". Instead, the enemies will line up against the barrier that the head necromancer has set up and channel magic to break it down. If you leave it unattended for too long, it will be destroyed, and the enemies will rush in and destroy the portal. If the barrier gets damaged but then you kill everything that's damaging it while it's still up, it will recharge eventually. There will be a cool cinematic ending if you win, and even if you lose :p

Screenshots:
This area is about 50% done. This is the portal room where the head necromancer is channeling. There's going to be some cool lightning graphic between him and the portal, but for now there's a half-finished room and a few statues.
Screenshot #1
Another screenshot from this area which is now about 75% done.
Screenshot #2
You can see a few incomplete bits sticking out, but this is where the fountain/respawn area/shops will be.
Screenshot #3
This is the overview of the (more or less) finished terrain.
Screenshot #4

Progress:
Terrain - 85%
Everything Else - 0%

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
That's what inspired me to make this kind of thing. I'm trying to make things a little smoother though.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Yup yup, looks awesome.
I hope joo are still working on RotH lol.
So it's like those zombie games where you have to defend the "wall" and repair it, too?
:thup: Good luck with the contest!

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
Yes I am, this is just a side project for a contest. And I guess it's like those zombie games where you defend the wall and repair it at the same time, except instead of zombies you have crazy religious people and instead of a team of survivors you have a cult of necromancers that worship death itself.

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
I vote for Xarsis.

I vote for yxunomei ;)

The terrain looks amazing, i would love to get a sneak peak at the map to see how you pulled off such an impressive effect.

The terrain is stunning, and the gameplay sounds great, i look forward to seeing it in action. :thup:

Keep up the Good Work!

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
Hmm alright you can take a look at the terrain. Don't mind the other shit.

Attachments

• TemplateMap.w3x
    655.1 KB · Views: 284

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Looks good.

Off Topic: Michael Jackson died :(.

Talk about random, :D But yeah, I got my news thread put up with that, :(

The terrain looks "stunning". I love screenshot # 3. It's like looks simple, but looks so depth-y and nice.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
I want to hear an opinion: I am thinking of turning this map into a campaign. A multiplayer campaign. This wouldn't progress like a normal campaign; of course, since that's impossible (unless I used WarSoc...). Instead, it would just be a series of maps that you would play in order. Thoughts? Does this sound like a good idea?

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Its ok but there's one problem. People are only gonna play the funnest map which won't let you play them in order.

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
Well then let them play the funnest map :p

I guess it wouldn't really be a campaign, it would just be a series of maps that follows a storyline like a campaign does.

Xienoph

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Make the story sound original and interesting. That'll get people to play your campaign in order. If a particular map is really interesting, they'll play it after finishing the story.

... well, at least I'll do that.

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
Of course it's going to be original and interesting; otherwise I wouldn't bother with a story :p

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
Would multiple map's be necessary?

Could you increase the boundaries in your current map, and make several area's?

I think the idea of a single map is much more appealing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.