World Chile miners trapped for 69 days, rescued: All 33 miners safely out

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The first miner to be rescued was Florencio Avalos​

The last of the 33 miners trapped deep underground in northern Chile for more than two months has been rescued.

Luis Urzua, the shift supervisor who was credited with helping the men survive the first 17 days before rescue teams made contact, was greeted by his family and President Sebastian Pinera.

The six rescuers sent down to assist the miners must now be winched up.

Many of the miners have severe dental infections and some have eye problems. One has been diagnosed with pneumonia.

But the Health Minister, Jaime Manalich, stressed that all appeared to be in far better condition than expected.

The men have been trapped underground since 5 August, when a rockfall caused a tunnel to collapse.

President Pinera meanwhile told the BBC he believed the rescue operation would change his country's image in the world.
'Gracias Chile!'

The rescue operation began shortly after 2315 on Tuesday (0215 GMT on Wednesday) with a technical expert, Manuel Gonzalez, being lowered down the 624m (2,047ft) shaft.

Mr Gonzalez was supposed to return to the surface and report on the condition of the rescue shaft, before handing over to a paramedic.

Those freed earlier were:

* Jimmy Sanchez, 19, the youngest of the group who had only been working at the mine for five months and had been showing signs of anxiety
* Mario Gomez, at 63 the oldest miner, who sent up a letter shortly after the miners were found to be alive, saying that the mining company "has got to modernise"
* Jose Ojeda, whose scribbled note - which read "All 33 of us are safe in the shelter" - informed the world the miners were still alive 17 days after the rockfall that trapped them
* Bolivian Carlos Mamani, the only non-Chilean, who was greeted by his president, Evo Morales
* Mario Sepulveda, who brought a bag of stones from the mine as souvenirs
* Juan Illanes, a former soldier who urged his fellow miners to be disciplined and organised while trapped
* Claudio Yanez, who became engaged to his partner of 11 years, Cristina Nunez, during the ordeal
* Yonni Barrios, whose wife only found out about his mistress when they both attended a vigil for him
* Edison Pena, who became known as "the runner" because he ran up to 5km (3 miles) a day through the mine tunnels to keep himself fit
* Victor Zamora, not a miner but a driver who had gone underground to repair a vehicle and was trapped by the rockfall
* Omar Reygadas, a bulldozer operator who, after leaving the capsule, knelt on the ground clutching a Bible
* Esteban Rojas, who while underground told his girlfriend of 25 years that he now wanted to marry her
* Jose Henriquez, an evangelical preacher who had the job of keeping up his colleagues' spirits
* Claudio Acuna, one of the "palomeros" who handled packages for the group; he celebrated his birthday down the mine
* Franklin Lobos, a former professional soccer player in a Chilean league who received a signed t-shirt sent to the mine by Barcelona star David Villa
* Richard Villarroel, whose partner Dana Castro is heavily pregnant
* Raul Bustos, whose wife has described him as the "luckiest unlucky man on Earth". He lost his builder's business in the central port city of Talcahuano during Chile's earthquake in February, and headed north to the San Jose mine for a new start
* Alex Vega, Jorge Galleguillos, Carlos Barrios, Victor Segovia, Daniel Herrera, Pablo Rojas, Dario Segovia, Osman Araya, Samuel Avalos, Carlos Bugueno and Renan Avalos, Juan Aguilar, Pedro Cortez, Ariel Ticona

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11518015

Last edited by a moderator:

Slayer4000X2008

That guy from Canada
Reaction score
First I would like to say, WTF i posted a story of 22 being out a few hours ago and nothing. All well no big deal. Now on to the topic, im happy they're all out, and so quickly. I heard they were expecting to have them out near Christman.

ReVolver

Reaction score
First I would like to say, WTF i posted a story of 22 being out a few hours ago and nothing. All well no big deal. Now on to the topic, im happy they're all out, and so quickly. I heard they were expecting to have them out near Christman.

I was going to put that but by the time I decided to post it, they were all rescued so I reposted the information. Sorry

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
It's awesome how they didn't give up on the miners and did all that for them. Gives some hope in humanity.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Nice to see that they're all out safe and sound (with the partial exception of one guy who had pneumonia, I think?)

From what I heard on the radio earlier, they are going to be receiving some fairly extraordinary gifts from various people (seems like a lousy PR stunt to capitalize on the misfortune of these people being trapped, but I doubt the miners will complain).

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
* Yonni Barrios, whose wife only found out about his mistress when they both attended a vigil for him
well i guess you could say, their love for the man *puts glasses on* caved in.

YEEEEAAAHHHHHHH

surprised eevryone got out alive. good for them though.

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
Little did they know there were 34 miners..

But in all seriousness I'm glad they've escaped.

sqrage

Reaction score
68754_649542045634_26305843_36484483_3842823_n.jpg

lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.