World China: Chinese authorities have issued tourists with a handbook telling them how to behave

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Chinese authorities have issued tourists with a handbook telling them how to behave when going abroad, including not to pee in pools.

As tourists from China increasingly travel abroad, they have developed a stereotype of "uncivilised behaviour", which Vice Premier Wang Yang said in May "damaged the image of the Chinese people".

The image-conscious National Tourism Administration has now published the 64-page Guidebook for Civilised Tourism, including illustrations, aimed at reining in unruly behaviour.

Instructions include do not pick your nose in public, leave footprints on public toilet seats or steal life jackets.

The rulebook explains that if tourists take the safety device from under their plane seat "if a dangerous situation arises then someone else will not have a life jacket".

Read more here.

Even though this is for mainland China travelers only, I think us Taiwanese people should also be taught of Western etiquettes. I do admit I pick my nose in the public, as it's a habit I pick up when I was in preschool in Starkville, Mississippi.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
How could that worsen the image people have of china? I always thought the bad image comes from the poor living and working conditions as well as the corrupt and diabolical government...

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Why would you leave footprints on a toilet seat?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Is stealing airplane life jackets a serious issue over there?

Wummi

Just Relax and Smile!
Reaction score
Dude I'm living in China right now, and I've seen parents holding their children over tree roots/garbage cans and letting them shit right there and then, and I've seen parents instructing their children to piss on the floor of subway stations, and they spit mucus on the floor of the subway cars...

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Unculturized civilizations help create these behaviors. Or a lack of self-displine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.