Crime China menaced by fake academic papers: They do look good on paper...

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
DISGUISED as employees of a gas company, a team of policemen burst into a flat in Beijing on September 1st. Two suspects inside panicked and tossed a plastic bag full of money out of a 15th-floor window. Red hundred-yuan notes worth as much as $50,000 fluttered to the pavement below.

Money raining down on pedestrians was not as bizarre, however, as the racket behind it. China is known for its pirated DVDs and fake designer gear, but these criminals were producing something more intellectual: fake scholarly articles which they sold to academics, and counterfeit versions of existing medical journals in which they sold publication slots.

As China tries to take its seat at the top table of global academia, the criminal underworld has seized on a feature in its research system: the fact that research grants and promotions are awarded on the basis of the number of articles published, not on the quality of the original research. This has fostered an industry of plagiarism, invented research and fake journals that Wuhan University estimated in 2009 was worth $150m, a fivefold increase on just two years earlier.

Chinese scientists are still rewarded for doing good research, and the number of high-quality researchers is increasing. Scientists all round the world also commit fraud. But the Chinese evaluation system is particularly susceptible to it.

Read more here.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
What... even in Nature??
Meaning the articles I've cited so far could be fake?

Bah. Everyone produces fake results. Not surprising. As long as the articles are not exposed, they're still valid after all.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
My late cousin told all of the jobs he had that he graduated with a Business Major from University of Florida. I don't think he went to college a day. He would be there for a few years before they found out he did not have a degree and he just find another job lying and repeated the cycle.

People believe anything if it is being sold right.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Most people have jobs they were in no way qualified for when they were hired.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Most people have jobs they were in no way qualified for when they were hired.

The fact is people need jobs and society is set up to fill that need. That gives you a lotta room for some morons to be working out there :)

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
The fact is people need jobs and society is set up to fill that need. That gives you a lotta room for some morons to be working out there :)

It also makes it easier for me to look better by comparison. My fake resume is better than your fake resume. My real resume? A smorgasbord of jobs I had for a few months before getting bored and quitting, or yelling at the wrong person and getting fired.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Do these "fake academic papers" at least explode? I wanna see the menace!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.