Sci/Tech China: Scientists grow human tooth using stem cells taken from urine

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Scientists in China say they have successfully grown a human tooth using stem cells taken from urine.

Researchers say the technique could one day be used as a way to replace teeth lost through aging and poor dental hygiene, with the added bonus that urine is deemed a less controversial source of stem cells than human embryos.

The team at the Guangzhou Institute of Biomedicine and Health extracted cells contained in the urine which would normally be passed from the body, such as those from the lining of the body's waterworks, and managed to coax them into becoming stem cells.

They then used these to implant the teeth-like structures in mice, and said the resulting bundle of cells eventually contained “dental pulp, dentin, enamel space and enamel organ,” researchers said.

Read more here.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
"You see little girl, these shiny new teeth of papa here came out of my pee!"

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
I'm really banking on this and other dental technology coming out in the next few decades... I'm 24, so this stuff is going to be important soon. ;)

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
Soon pee will be the most valuable resource of mankind. Big Businesses will hurry to monopolize all the pee in the world, leaving the poor to fend for themselves.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Now, whenever I drink water, I'm also drinking a little of my piss
-An old Grylls

Nyph

Occasional News Reader
Reaction score
Soon you'll be able to chew artificial meat that is grown from stem cells, with your artificial teeth, which are also grown from stem cells.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
And both your teeth and your meat is made by your urine.
The cycle of life.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.