World China tests self-sustaining space station in Beijing

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Sealed behind the steel doors of two bunkers in a Beijing suburb, university students are trying to find out how it feels to live in a space station on another planet, recycling everything from plant cuttings to urine.

They are part of a project aimed at creating a self-sustaining ecosystem that provides everything humans need to survive.

Four students from Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics entered the Lunar Palace-1 on Sunday with the aim of living self-sufficiently for 200 days.

They say they are happy to act as human guinea-pigs if it means getting closer to their dream of becoming astronauts.

"I'll get so much out of this," Liu Guanghui, a PhD student, who entered the bunker on Sunday, said. "It's truly a different life experience."

President Xi Jinping wants China to become a global power in space exploration, with plans to send the first probe to the dark side of the moon by 2018 and to put astronauts on the moon by 2036. The Lunar Palace 365 experiment may allow them to stay there for extended periods.

For Liu Hong, a professor at Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics and the project's principal architect, said everything needed for human survival had been carefully calculated.

Read more here. (Reuters)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to try that. I think I am perfect space station material.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Dude, you would last like three days before you ran out of food and realized you had to actually work.

Varine

Reaction score
China gets menaced a lot. I feel like they need a super villain.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Well, If you're doing the same thing over and over again, It might be.

Varine

Reaction score
What do you think most people when they go to work...?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.