Gaming China used prisoners in lucrative internet gaming work

Vellu

Real eyes realize real lies.
Reaction score
As a prisoner at the Jixi labour camp, Liu Dali would slog through tough days breaking rocks and digging trenches in the open cast coalmines of north-east China. By night, he would slay demons, battle goblins and cast spells.

Prison bosses made more money forcing inmates to play games than they do forcing people to do manual labour," Liu told the Guardian. "There were 300 prisoners forced to play games. We worked 12-hour shifts in the camp. I heard them say they could earn 5,000-6,000rmb [£470-570] a day. We didn't see any of the money. The computers were never turned off."

:nuts:

Last edited by a moderator:

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Hm...? If they were forced to play online games, are they satisfied with their jobs?

Vellu

Reaction score
Hm...? If they were forced to play online games, are they satisfied with their jobs?

I didn't quite get what you're saying, but the prison guards forced the prisoners to farm gold in MMO games illegally.

Wummi

Just Relax and Smile!
Reaction score
Hence the famous term: Chinese Gold Farmer
It's actually pretty smart for the prison guards to force the inmates to do this (although inhumane). 1000 WoW gold can be traded for about $25-30 USD.
So the prison has income 24/7, quite efficient at making money.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
It's actually pretty smart for the prison guards to force the inmates to do this (although inhumane). 1000 WoW gold can be traded for about $25-30 USD.

Consider the costs of computers, the internet, and the WoW subscription, not to mention that most inmates would be disinterested in the game and thus I can only assume they farm more slowly than someone who is ... meh, maybe all that is cheaper in China.

Vellu

Reaction score

The money went directly to the guards' pockets I think

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.