World Chinese zoo under fire for disguising hairy dog as lion

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The zoo in the People's Park of Luohe, in the central province of Henan, replaced exotic exhibits with common species, according to the state-run Beijing Youth Daily.

It quoted a customer surnamed Liu who wanted to show her son the different sounds animals made – but he pointed out that the animal in the cage labelled ‘African lion’ was barking.

The beast was in fact a Tibetan mastiff – a large and long-haired breed of dog.

"The zoo is absolutely cheating us," the paper quoted Liu, who was charged 15 yuan ($2.45) for the ticket, as saying.

Last edited:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol, way to go.
Save the endangered species by putting up decoys. Soon enough those big game hunters wont even know how a lion is supposed to look like.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Clearly not a lion, but you have to give the Chinese props for doing absolutely ridiculous shit (along with an uncanny expertise is making exploding shit out of things that under no circumstances should explode).

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
DOES CHINA EVEN KNOW THAT IT IS THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE WORLD?

Like seriously... does the government realize that their people are this ridiculous?

Only in China... /sigh

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
DOES CHINA EVEN KNOW THAT IT IS THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE WORLD?

Like seriously... does the government realize that their people are this ridiculous?

Only in China... /sigh
That aint the problem of the government. I think the chinese government has other things on its mind then the deeds of low level citizens.

There are alot of stupid people everywhere else on this world. Just look through the internet, there is stupidity all around you, and only a fraction of these idiots is from china.

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
That aint the problem of the government. I think the chinese government has other things on its mind then the deeds of low level citizens.

There are alot of stupid people everywhere else on this world. Just look through the internet, there is stupidity all around you, and only a fraction of these idiots is from china.

Numbers would dictate that 19.1% of stupid shit is from China :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population

Dan

Reaction score
My statement wasn't exactly fair. I appreciate both the above comments.

I would like to add, though, that it seems to me that there is an extremely large number of unusual scams and deceptive dealings going on in China when compared to other major (newsworthy) countries. I don't normally hear stories this bold in its attempt to mislead buyers into handing over money. People get ripped off all over the world--it's a universal concept--but only in China does it seem to be this bold and imaginative. I can't imagine anyone in another country trying to pass off a fake IKEA store or dressing a dog up to be passed off as a lion. It boggles my mind that there is a fake World of Warcraft theme park and other such scamming going on in China.

It definitely seems as though Chinese people more gullible than the rest of the world at times.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
My statement wasn't exactly fair. I appreciate both the above comments.

I would like to add, though, that it seems to me that there is an extremely large number of unusual scams and deceptive dealings going on in China when compared to other major (newsworthy) countries. I don't normally hear stories this bold in its attempt to mislead buyers into handing over money. People get ripped off all over the world--it's a universal concept--but only in China does it seem to be this bold and imaginative. I can't imagine anyone in another country trying to pass off a fake IKEA store or dressing a dog up to be passed off as a lion. It boggles my mind that there is a fake World of Warcraft theme park and other such scamming going on in China.

It definitely seems as though Chinese people more gullible than the rest of the world at times.
1). Maybe those people there dont care whether its fake or not. As long as its cheap and it works then what is the problem?

2). Many people there are poor, many probably dont even see the difference between the fake item and the real one since they have never seen the brand product. Maybe they have never even seen a lion. You look at this from a western education standard.
We saw "The Lion King" when we were kids and we can easily tell the difference between lions and dogs ever since; but maybe many kids (or even adults) in china can not. But on the other hand maybe they can tell apart several other species which you and I would be completely baffled by.

3). The scam in other countries can be just as bad. Do you know how many very cheap knock-offs are sold in the US alone? The standards are not too much higher there either.

4). Its the style of the chinese open market which allows for such scamming. Since many european countries have restrictive laws which try their hardest to make scam impossible we rarely see something like this over here. Were it not for our very restrictive laws it probably wouldnt be much different here.

Dan

Reaction score
Things to think about. Thank you. I still think that some of those are a bit on the soft side of convincing but I appreciate the points you bring up.

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
If you look at the stuff going on in Russia or India you might look at it from another perspective.

Besides.
Crazy stuff is much better executed and/or hidden in the western world, but it's still there.

Dan

Reaction score
If you look at the stuff going on in Russia or India you might look at it from another perspective.

Besides.
Crazy stuff is much better executed and/or hidden in the western world, but it's still there.

but... A DOG posed as a LION... the mind boggles.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Well, I have to say that my general experience with people from mainland China has been.. Less than pleasing.. I spent many years telling the people around me to relax when they get pissed off at the shit the Chinese do and how they behave, saying that the Chinese aren't the only ass holes on the planet.

Then, those many years went by and I was subjected to their.. Different behaviours.. I can't say I would enjoy living in China or interacting with a large group of them. I have met quite a few decent Chinese men and women but the majority I have encountered have left much to be desired =/

Nyph

Occasional News Reader
Reaction score
ITT first news about china not sourced from a Japanese site. Tibetan mastiffs are damn cool dogs though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.