Choosing a Computer

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Welp, it's getting to be new computer time again. As always, while I spend half my life on my computer, I don't actually know that much about how to build/choose a good one, so I turn to you for help. What I need:

- Must be portable, since I have to move it between home and work each day, but it doesn't need to be especially small or slim. I'm fine carrying around a ten pound, 17" behemoth, though I doubt that's really necessary either.

- Must have an effective cooling system. I've had a lot of trouble with overheating with my past two laptops, so this is a must. It needs to be able to handle being on all day long (16 hours) in potentially 80-90 degree Fahrenheit weather, without having problems overheating. Liquid cooling would be ideal, if it's reliable enough and $200 or less. Otherwise, a more standard but well-built fan should be fine.

- It should be designed with the future in mind, since ideally it would last for at least the next 3-4 years, without much issue. It should be able to handle modern games of course, and if anything be slightly over-built so it won't become obsolete in a year. I'd rather spend twice as much on a good computer now, than have to buy a new computer twice as often. With that in mind, it should also be reliable for the long run.

- For price range, I'm aiming for $2000, but could go as high as $3000 for the right specs. I know the basics of ram, memory, and graphics cards, but not which are the best or how much of each I really need.

Thanks in advance.

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Probably a laptop, but an especially compact/easily transportable desktop would also fit the bill. I don't need to travel with it or even use it on battery power, I simply need to be able to lug it back and forth between home and work each day. (a short car ride)

I guess when it comes down to it, what I really need to know is what kind of RAM, Memory, graphics cards, and so on are needed these days. I can figure out the rest of it on my own. More than anything, I'd like to know where the break-point is: Where the technology starts to skyrocket in price without much gains in power.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
there aren't any watercooled laptops that I know of, but regardless of which computer you get, I would suggest you get a cooling pad for it - laptops aren't built to run 16 hours in a row

most of the nice well-built business laptops don't play games very well, but at a minimum you would want one with a dedicated graphics card

you might be better off with a desktop for the games at home (unless you game at work, in which case disregard this) and then a well-built business laptop (I would recommend either a think pad or Dell's business line), as those last longer then the consumer grade stuff

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
What kind of cooling pad would you recommend? I've used fan-based ones before, and they honestly don't seem to do that much good. Ideally I'd be able to use some kind of water-cooled pad, which seems like a fairly easy thing to make, but I've never been able to find one.

I may end up going with a desktop, I suppose what it really boils down to is price. If a desktop would be significantly cheaper, then I wouldn't mind getting one of those, and possibly having to buy a new laptop for work later on. Is ASUS my best bet for desktops too?

With that in mind, what I really need help with is benchmarks for computing power. What kind of RAM, Memory, and Graphics card would I need to run modern games without issue? What kind might I need for games coming out in the next few years? All the computers I've looked at have had various numbers thrown around, but without context I can't really tell whether something is worth the money or not.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Would you be able to build your own desktop? That would really be the best and most cost-effective option if you want something to last a few years.

As for a laptop, this one seems like a good option right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230141
Personally, I've never used a cooling pad for a laptop. I have an older Asus gaming laptop and it has never had heat issues. Yeah, it puts out a lot of heat when playing, but as long as the vent is clear, it's fine. That laptop there should be able to play games for a few years to come. It likely will not be able to max out the settings on really intense games, but they'll play.

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
If I do decide to go with a desktop, yes I could probably put it together myself, with instruction.

After thinking on it some, I think getting a high-end desktop is my best bet. The biggest reason I wanted a good laptop to have at home and work, is that the internet at my office is a lot better than the internet at my house, so I'd actually do a lot of gaming here rather than there (after hours, of course). We're about to get a new type of internet installed that should fix this issue, though, so having a desktop at home just for gaming should work out just fine.

I see you have a list of parts for computers in a sticky, but I assume that's out of date since it's from 2010. Would you be willing to help me put together a more current version of one of those, and guide me through the process of putting it together? Or, if there's a good tutorial out there for putting computers together, that should work fine as well.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
a $1000 desktop will be much better then a $3000 laptop for gaming, there just isn't any real comparison for them - the cooling pad is mostly just to raise it off of the table and make it easier to suck air in from underneath

as for putting a desktop together, it's not that hard, you just need to put a few screws in to hold stuff and the wires pretty much fit exactly where they need to go and nowhere else

for more current parts perhaps something like this as a start

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
The difference is that much? I thought the disparity between laptops and desktops was getting smaller, not larger. If that's really the case, then I'll definitely go for a desktop.

Going by the scale used in the "Computer Building Suggestions" thread, I think I want something just past the "point of reason". Basically, I'm willing to spend a lot of money on a really good computer, but don't want to throw money away either. What would that equate to in today's hardware?

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Looks good as far as I know. Just for comparison, how much would a pre-built computer of comparable specs cost? (An guesstimate is fine)

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Thanks. If you don't mind, could I get a very brief description of what each of those does, in case I want to upgrade? For example, which of those determines how much memory I have? My current computer has ~500GB of memory, and I think I'd like a bit more than that.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Looks good as far as I know. Just for comparison, how much would a pre-built computer of comparable specs cost? (An guesstimate is fine)

roughly 30-50% more - as soon as "gaming" enters the equation, the manufactures smell $$ and charge for it, and like to horribly under-power the graphics card

same thing for laptops vs desktops - in terms of ram and processing power, even disk speed with a SSD in them, they are getting closer to desktops, but the graphic cards in a laptop are nowhere near that of a desktop (they use way too much power and make way too much heat for a laptop)

details:
CPU - does the processing, runs everything, but usually only compressing/extracting/editing photos or video will max out the CPU

Memory (Ram) - where your "active programs" live - aka windows, and whatever you have running (background processes as well) - games and windows usually don't use more then 4gb, but this is relatively cheap and easy to upgrade

Hard disk (what you referred to as memory) - where stuff gets stored "permanently" as oppose to the ram, this won't go away when the power is turned off - this is also easy to upgrade, you can just add an extra hard drive (most computer can support 4-6 hard drives)

Case - holds everything together physically, also cools them and has fans/etc.

Motherboard - everything plugs into the motherboard in some way or another, a more expensive motherboard will have more expansion slots, hard drive ports, etc.

Video card - puts video on the screen, this is what matters most for gaming, video cards with large amounts of ram are needed for large (high-resolution) displays

PSU - provides power to everything, it's important not to cheap out on this since the components can get damaged from bad voltages

Optical drive - reads (and writes) disks (CD/DVD/possibly blu-ray), you may not need this since windows can be installed off of a flash drive

also add a windows license to the list

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Right. If it was only a bit more, I might go for it just to save the hassle and risk of me botching it, but $500 isn't worth it.'

Hm, I was going to say I don't need a CD drive since I don't really buy disc games anymore, but it's only $19? That's crazy! I guess I may as well get it just in case, heh.

For those two upgrades you mentioned, how much of an upgrade are they? As in, are they 10% more powerful? 50%? Just want an idea of how much bang for my buck I'm getting.

Oh and finally, are these components all tested together, so they won't cause any conflicts?

Thanks again for all of your guys' help. You've probably saved me as much as $2000 and a lot of headaches.

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
You probably don't want to upgrade the motherboard unless it goes bad for some reason. By the time you actually need to upgrade it, just build a new machine.
The CPU is one of the best out there for that socket type. I mentioned an upgrade in my other post, which is one of the fastest desktop CPUs in existence today. It should be able to trash anything you throw at it for the next 3-5 years or more. It's unlikely that there will be major improvements to that kind of CPU socket before the next generation is released.

I forgot to add RAM to the build at first - it's there now. :) 16 GB of RAM is plenty for everything you need to do, and you can upgrade to 32 GB if you want - just buy another of those 16 GB packages.

The SSD is rated the fastest in the consumer market right now. OCZ has been tearing it up in terms of performance, though their previous gen had some reliability issues. However, I've heard nothing terrible about the Vertex 4. I put one in a computer I built recently and it has been great.

The GTX 670 video card is probably the best high end card in the market for its dollar value. The 680 and 690 are better, along with the AMD 7950/7970 or so, but the 670 has been impressing everyone with its $400 price point.

HDD, not much to see here. 1 TB = 1000 GB, so that should be plenty of file storage for you. Seagate is a good brand.

650W PSU is enough to power two GTX 670 cards if you wanted to SLI them together either now or later. The motherboard will support it as well. Corsair is a good PSU brand.

The case is kind of bland. You could look at the Antec 900 or Antec 1200 as well as some CoolerMaster options if you want more case variety. I'm not a big case fanatic. :)

Optical drive is blah. CD/DVD are going out fairly quickly as everything moves to digital. This one is a burner in case you need to create disks. Other than that, nothing fancy.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Oh and finally, are these components all tested together, so they won't cause any conflicts?

the specs are pretty standard, all of these will work together

ram and hard drive are easy to upgrade, you just add more, and take out the old one if you need more room, you could also add a blu-ray reader (or even burner) if you wanted one, but that can wait until you need it (there aren't many programs for playing blu-rays yet)

the other components won't give you much benefit from upgrades, as the CPU and motherboard go together, and once you replace them your looking at a new computer already anyways

I prefer cases without windows, so I like silverstone and lian-li cases, but that is more of a personal preference type thing, there aren't HUGE differences between cases.. potentially water-cooling, but it's not that big of an improvement over air unless you take it to extremes (like hooking it up to your fridge)

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Ok, I've got a basic understanding of what most of that does, but what is the SSD for? I know RAM is short term and HDD is long term, is an SSD somewhere in between, or does it do something else? What kind of task would put strain on a SSD?

Oh, and while I've got expert advice, another thing that has caused me issues is finding a good pair of reliable, sturdy, and relatively cheap headphones. I don't need super audio quality, just something that won't break a month after buying it if I pack it in my computer case. I've had good luck with my current pair, but I've already had to tape up part of it to hold together, so I don't know how much longer it'll last. Preferably something with a mic on it.

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
SSD = Solid State Drive
It performs the same functionality as a hard drive (HDD) in that it provides long-term storage. However, it is orders of magnitude faster than a traditional hard drive because the data is all stored on NAND flash memory. SSDs are generally smaller in size than HDDs and cost more per GB, but they are well worth the cost for gaming machines to decrease boot times on the OS and applications. When you install the OS and a few programs on the SSD, you should notice much faster response times. This leaves the HDD as a data storage device for things like music files and less-used programs.

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
SSD = Solid State Drive
It performs the same functionality as a hard drive (HDD) in that it provides long-term storage. However, it is orders of magnitude faster than a traditional hard drive because the data is all stored on NAND flash memory. SSDs are generally smaller in size than HDDs and cost more per GB, but they are well worth the cost for gaming machines to decrease boot times on the OS and applications. When you install the OS and a few programs on the SSD, you should notice much faster response times. This leaves the HDD as a data storage device for things like music files and less-used programs.
Ah, I see. I think I have an idea of what I want to get, I'll have a list in a bit...

Once I've bought all this stuff, what do I do then? Is there a guide on how to put this together, or is it really easy enough that I can figure it out myself? (IE: Plug stuff in where it fits)

I assume I'll need to buy and instal an OS separately? I'll be using Windows 7, will this support 64 bit or am I better off with 32 bit?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.