Chrome Internet Browser

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone got it yet?
Is it any good? What do you think of it? :p

I'm just downloading it now, but I'd love to hear other people's opinions.

Google Chrome

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Chrome is in Beta. I talked to someone who used it and it its nice but I'm going to use FF3 until we get a stable.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It wot run the crapplet for me D=

:confused:

I'm using Chrome now.

It seems to be slower than Firefox for me, but I really like the general feel and look of it.

Still, I'd need to get used to it. Firefox is all customized and stuff for me :p

Chrome is in Beta. I talked to someone who used it and it its nice but I'm going to use FF3 until we get a stable.

I think I'll stick to Firefox too. I'm just more used to it.

Edit:

Does anyone else think that the Logo looks like a Pokeball and Samus' Morph Ball?
chrome-205_noshadow.png

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Post 13-14.

Also, as I've said, it's awesome and the fastest browser I've ever used. No more Firefox here. Once adblock gets made I can uninstall FX3.

Really? To me, FireFox is faster than Chrome. And Firefox has more 'features'.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
So far i am enjoying it.
Firefox took internet explore and streamlined the look and feel of it.
But i feel Chrome is even more.

As too is it more stable and faster, where it really counts.
Cant say i haven't used it much yet. but i read up on it. and it has a lot of cool features that Firefox doesn't.

It has features built from its core, a lot like mirco soft runs windows.
Meaning each tab is sorta its own browser. and it does a good job at containing sites, that might crash the browser or try to throw 50 pop ups on you.

But time is the test i guess.

But i was slow to move to firefox, and then loved it. i think i am gona give this a chance a bit sooner.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
It seems that they both take a bit to start up, maybe Firefox being a little bit faster, but Chrome seems to be loading the pages faster to me.

I'm going to be using Chrome until I find some things I don't like about it. I want to support google. :)

BTW, you can't middle click and move the mouse around to scroll in Chrome. That's the only problem I've found with it so far.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
I really like it, though...
How do I install plugins? <-- I need it because it can't go in chat or view youtube videos. Pretty stupid.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
Personal experience:

Pros
- It's fast. Really fast.
- JavaScript is amazingly fast too
- no superfluous chrome in this Chrome
- tab handling is just about perfect
- very difficult to crash the entire browser
- crashing a process doesn't do anything to the others
- nearly all sites work as expected
- uses less memory overall, especially after running for several hours

Cons:
- doesn't support http authentication. At all, no just the mentioned "with SSL"
- all imaginable plugins are already there(*), turned on by default and there's no (obvious) way to turn them OFF!
- uses Windows'(tm) Internet Settings...
- installs a boot process for update checks
- requires the latest beta(sic) for Java(tm) stuff and crapplets... Java(tm) is already a major pain with "stable" releases
- documentation? Settings and options? Are there any (besides the really basic ones that is)?

Other stuff:
- Sad Tabs(tm)? Hilarious
- the URL bar actually works, unlike FF3's latest Awful Bar(tm) which is just plain crap
- it has a problem with the spelling of "plugin"...

Official "features" list:
http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/request.py?contact_type=known_issues_2

On a related note, stuff like partial URL highlights or spell-checking or even the "site mini view" aren't new.

(*) chances are it's actually using those installed for other browsers.

setari

Reaction score
I DL'd chrome yesterday, it was quick to load my yahoo page, but not to good on all my other pages... so i went back to firefox for now. I do like the look and feel of it though, it's really nice.

Edit: Hah, it doesnt have the right plugin installed for Java or anything of the sort almost. =(.

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I agree with AceHart here.
on my 64 bit vista it is lightning fast.

excellent for home use.

At work i keep sticking with opera

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Google unveils Chrome source code and Linux port

Google has officially released its new Chrome web browser. In conjunction with the release, Google has also launched Chromium, an open-source software project that enables third-party developers to study, modify, extend, and redistribute the underlying source code of the Chrome browser.

Google has made the Chrome source available under a permissive BSD license so that it can be incorporated into both open and proprietary software programs. Detailed build instructions are available for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. The Linux port is still in early stages of development and is not yet fully functional.

Read more about it here.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> very difficult to crash the entire browser

One day later... turns out it's not exactly that difficult.
Type something like "gone:%" in the Omnibar... :p

So, always check where the link points to before clicking it.
Something you should be doing anyway.

1337Elite

Reaction score
I've been running Safari, Firefox, Opera and Chrome for a while now. My personal experience tells me that: Opera is faster than FF, although the image loading process is different between these two. Chrome is faster than both Firefox and Opera. Safari is somewhere in-between.

The thing I really like in Chrome is the "empty tab" page. I think it's great, apart from the theme of it.. You can't change it either, as far as I know.:thdown:

And oh, that "simple download manager" they've got. It's useless. The first thing I did was to disable it.

I really love Opera for some reason, so that's my new browser of choice, although I switch between Chrome, FF and Opera on random. Firefox is still my default web browser, though.

Husky

Local Lurker
Reaction score
Using it to post this message. Nothing stands out about it as great at this point in time, but I'm guessing once some mods are developed for it it could become a great browser. The only things that stand out right now are; there are no menu's at the top and there's a lot more "screen real estate" (in comparison to Firefox that is, it's similar to Opera in that aspect).

EDIT: I might stick with it for a couple of days, see how it goes.

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
i like how light it is

btw, wtf are my favorites?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.