Chronic Desync Problem

Pyroflame

Reaction score
Right when my map starts up half of the room get's dropped. I have no idea what would be causing this, as the game was working fine before.

Looking at the forums said some common problems could be:
- Creating anything inside an "if GetLocalPlayer() == " block
- Using "Pan camera as necessary", instead use the version without "as necessary"

I am not using anything like the first one in any of my triggers (and I have a lot of triggers) and I do pan the camera at some times with player groups, never at map or near map initialization, and I don't use "as necessary" in them.

Could some please help me? I'll give you as much reputation as I possibly can. This problem has made the game I've been working on this whole time unplayable. I'm willing to send you the game itself through a message, so you could look at all the triggers from there; otherwise anyone have any suggestions?

Zwiebelchen

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Do you use 16 tiles? Tilesets can cause desync, if you don't know what you are doing. Also, it seems the 16th tile seems always to be corrupted. Also, it seems even when using UMSWE or WEU you can not use more than 24 memory slots of tiles.

To check wether its a problem of tileset, reset the tileset back to a standard one. If you see spots on your map that are black after resetting, those tiles where corrupted and causing desync. Try to play around with the tileset, try using only 15 tiles and always check with tileset reset wether your tiles are corrupted whenever you add/remove tiles to your tileset.

If thats not it:
Try to deactivate all triggers. If the desync still occurs, its the import files. Try it the other way round to be sure after that.

If its the triggers and you are not sure about it: Try to replace all camera pans with PanCameraTimed and set the duration to 0. Pan camera is very unsecure in multiplayer. If you still need camera swaying that is not instant, write an interpolation function using a highspeed period timer.

However, you should check up the tileset issue first. That's the most common problem that causes "random" desync. If its the triggers, you should encounter desyncs that drop ALL players related to the trigger. "Random" desyncs like you seem to have only happen from things like high dice rolls, tileset, etc. ...

bOb666777

Stand against the ugly world domination face!
Reaction score
Do you have any map initialization triggers?
Try disabling them one by one and see if it ever gets fixed, then post the trigger that causes the crash.

If none of them is the cause of the crash, then send your map.

Pyroflame

Reaction score
Do you use 16 tiles? Tilesets can cause desync, if you don't know what you are doing. Also, it seems the 16th tile seems always to be corrupted. Also, it seems even when using UMSWE or WEU you can not use more than 24 memory slots of tiles.

To check wether its a problem of tileset, reset the tileset back to a standard one. If you see spots on your map that are black after resetting, those tiles where corrupted and causing desync. Try to play around with the tileset, try using only 15 tiles and always check with tileset reset wether your tiles are corrupted whenever you add/remove tiles to your tileset.

If thats not it:
Try to deactivate all triggers. If the desync still occurs, its the import files. Try it the other way round to be sure after that.

If its the triggers and you are not sure about it: Try to replace all camera pans with PanCameraTimed and set the duration to 0. Pan camera is very unsecure in multiplayer. If you still need camera swaying that is not instant, write an interpolation function using a highspeed period timer.

However, you should check up the tileset issue first. That's the most common problem that causes "random" desync. If its the triggers, you should encounter desyncs that drop ALL players related to the trigger. "Random" desyncs like you seem to have only happen from things like high dice rolls, tileset, etc. ...

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write all that. I don't think it is the tileset, but I'll look into that. And about the cameras, I have them doing 1 second pans for each cinematic scene (to focus on the speaking unit). To make it instant would I just tell it to pan over 0 seconds?

And about my triggers, I have a lot of them, so is there some 'mass disable' button somewhere or do I have to do it one by one? +rep

Edit: Also, the camera's don't run at the start of the game, if they were the problem.. Shouldn't the desync only occur when the camera triggers run?

Do you have any map initialization triggers?
Try disabling them one by one and see if it ever gets fixed, then post the trigger that causes the crash.

If none of them is the cause of the crash, then send your map.

I'll try that, a friend usually host the map for me since I can't host; he loves the game. +rep

Zwiebelchen

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for taking the time to write all that. I don't think it is the tileset, but I'll look into that.
Please don't "think" when it comes to the tileset. I also "thought" it wasn't the tileset. It WAS the tileset. Reset your tileset and watch for black spots on your map after that. if you have black spots after resetting, it definitly IS the tileset. But make a safety copy on your map before. This is just to check wether it is the tileset or not.

And about the cameras, I have them doing 1 second pans for each cinematic scene (to focus on the speaking unit). To make it instant would I just tell it to pan over 0 seconds?
Yes.

And about my triggers, I have a lot of them, so is there some 'mass disable' button somewhere or do I have to do it one by one? +rep
Just delete all the folders. But make a safety copy before.

Edit: Also, the camera's don't run at the start of the game, if they were the problem.. Shouldn't the desync only occur when the camera triggers run?
Yes. And it would only desync players that run the camera pan.

Pyroflame

Reaction score
> Please don't "think" when it comes to the tileset. I also "thought" it wasn't the tileset. It WAS the tileset. Reset your tileset and watch for black spots on your map after that. if you have black spots after resetting, it definitly IS the tileset. But make a safety copy on your map before. This is just to check wether it is the tileset or not.

Oh trust me, that's why I said "I'll look into it". I didn't think it WAS the tileset becuase I was just using one custom tile along with the cityscape tileset. I reset it back to the cityscape tileset and didn't notice any black squares. And for now it is still reset that.

> And about the cameras, I have them doing 1 second pans for each cinematic scene (to focus on the speaking unit). To make it instant would I just tell it to pan over 0 seconds?

Okay I'll put them all at 0 seconds for the hell of it, however I don't think that is the problem either becuase those triggers aren't running at the start of the game.

> And about my triggers, I have a lot of them, so is there some 'mass disable' button somewhere or do I have to do it one by one? +rep

Okay I'll do that when my friend comes online.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.