Crime Churchgoers more likely to back torture, survey finds

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
The more often Americans go to church, the more likely they are to support the torture of suspected terrorists, according to a new analysis.
More than half of people who attend services at least once a week — 54 percent — said the use of torture against suspected terrorists is “often” or “sometimes” justified. Only 42 percent of people who “seldom or never” go to services agreed, according the analysis released Wednesday by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life.

White evangelical Protestants were the religious group most likely to say torture is often or sometimes justified — more than 6 in 10 supported it. People unaffiliated with any religious organization were least likely to back it. Only 4 in 10 of them did.

The analysis is based on a Pew Research Center survey of 742 American adults conducted April 14-21. It did not include analysis of groups other than white evangelicals, white non-Hispanic Catholics, white mainline Protestants, and the religiously unaffiliated, because the sample size was too small.

More Here.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
Everybody knows that most churches don't support real faith anymore.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
This is very offensive. I do not support torture of any kind! This is very bias and just terrible!

chanta45

Reaction score
It's not biased, if you're religious and that's why you're taking offense then it means this is what your community supports, because ner'doers need to be cleansed. :rolleyes:

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
54% of 742 doesn't seem like an accurate pool to be drawing conclusions from. Especially considering the results were by a very small margin.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
54% of 742 doesn't seem like an accurate pool to be drawing conclusions from. Especially considering the results were by a very small margin.

I truly agree. Articles like these frustrate me. I do know some radicals, but there are radicals of any organizations. There are liberal radicals, conservative radicals, and many other types of radicals.

There are many different kinds of churches that believe very different things.

Seb!

Reaction score

You only attack scientific surveys when you disagree with them! Most surveys are like this and they have been proven to be accurate. Research Gallup polls.

It's not like you can disagree with what the study is saying though.. The fact is that a large amount of evangelicals can justify a life of faith and the support of torture. It's not attacking anyone personally.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Lets say each church has about 100 members. They're all in the same church, so they most likely share the same opinion. If the church is radical (in general) then there goes 100 survey points. Now, out of 740, that's like just 7 churches. And there aren't 7 churchers, nor 742 religious people. So this survey is pure BS.

But this idea makes sense. To protect their religion and faith and beliefs, most go to extremes.

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
You only attack scientific surveys when you disagree with them! Most surveys are like this and they have been proven to be accurate. Research Gallup polls.

It's not like you can disagree with what the study is saying though.. The fact is that a large amount of evangelicals can justify a life of faith and the support of torture. It's not attacking anyone personally.

I never said i disagree with the survey, I am not a religious person, I just don't think the results are sufficient to cast such judgments on a very large group of people by measuring the standards and practices of a very small portion of that group.

I attack this "news article" on principal. This is not news, this is not science, nor is it research, this is libel directed towards non-atheists.

Snowbizzle

Reaction score
I have to agree with Wasted on this one. Seven-hundred and forty-two people is, what? Less than 1% of all churchgoing Americans in the United States? This is one of those surveys they hand you in high school government class and go: Now where did the person taking this screw up?

When you take a survey like this, you have to draw from a HUGE pool, or your results won't reflect the reality. And essentially, the difference in this survey is, what? Twelve percent? That is nothing. For this survey to have even the slightest hint of veracity, the difference would have to be more like 30%. At the moment, this is 100% worthless.

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
As far as polling groups like Rasputen and Gallup take a look at the sampling size of the polls. Usually 10000+ people, I saw one about Obama that was nearly 100k.

743 isn't a well made poll. Larger sample size dictates better accuracy. Care of the questions asked is also important, thats something the report didnt let us know. There is a huge difference between "Would you support torture if American lives are at stake?" versus "Do you support torture for intelligence information?" One is a situation, the other is very general. People usually default to something in situations that might be very different than the generality. People are after all creatures of habit with massive exception list.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.