Cirque Du Freak [AKA The Vampire's Assistant]

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Before the movie where they somehow managed to take parts from all different books, mix them up, spit them out in some kind of distorted version that doesn't follow the plot line at all and STILL be a great movie, this was a series of books. 12 books to be exact.

I have read 4 so far, meaning I am 1/3 of the way through. I own the first three and read the fourth one while sitting in a Borders for about 2 hours. They are written by Darren Shan, the main character of the books. They are considered a Teen Series by Borders.

Thus far, I enjoy them. The first book basically shows Darren as he goes through the motions of the movie, to where he becomes a half-Vampire. Then, the second book shows Darren and his Maker, Crepsley joining the Cirque Du Freak, his struggles as he tries not to drink human blood, his friendship with Evra the snakeboy and his battles against the wolfman at the end. The third book is the first difference you'll notice from the movie, as Darren, Crepsley and Evra go back to Crepsley's hometown to battle Murtogh, a "vampaneze", vampires who kill their prey and don't abide by the Vampire Council's laws.

The fourth book has, so far, disappointed me. The entire book consists of Crepsley, Shan and a friend of Crepsley's traveling to Vampire Mountain to present Shan to the Council, getting there, a few days of introduction, being told Darren must go through some kind of "Trials of Doom" and then that's it. The end. No big bad guy, no massive plot. Travel, arrival, trials, end.

Naturally, the fifth book will be about the Trials themselves.

Has anyone else seen or read this series? If so, what are your thoughts on how far you've gotten, and how far HAVE you gotten? If not, it is recommended by Seth Cross, so give the first book a shot and see.

The movie is also recommended, but if you plan on seeing the movie and reading the books, please do not compare the two and hope to be happy with the comparison. Please view them both separately.

Arcane

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Read it, I have all twelve of the series at home (in addition to three of the Demonata series).

I think it's a decent read, even if it's not "incredible".

-never knew there was a movie

DogOfHavoc

Future Tragedy
Reaction score
Isn't it first person present, or at least first person? I have trouble enjoying that style.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Yes, it's first person. I find my own writing is almost never first person, as I find third person opens up more possibilities.

First person gives you more "mystery" style ideas, though. But that's neither here nor there.

Yes, there was a movie. And while it didn't follow the plot toward the end at all, it was rather interesting. I believe I did recommend it :)

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Ha, I love these books. I have 1 - 8, but I've read up to 10. I just can't find the last ones anymore...
But they are pretty interesting, and gets you stuck on em once you start reading. I should finish them sometime.
I should also see the movie some time, lol.
I recommend this series, too.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

DM Cross

Reaction score
They're not hard to find in Jersey.

Menlo Mall's Borders has like 3 copies of each part of the series!

I'm considering buying the individual books for 1-3... I bought a combination book that had all three together in one book, with art that was from the movie. I wonder if they re-wrote anything?

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Eh, I'll finish them one day, :)

Like they always move their positions in the stores...

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

punwisp

Reaction score
A couple of the starter books are merely meh, I think its a lot better from 7 and up

And I've read all the books, I quite enjoyed them, even though there short

DM Cross

Reaction score
Eh, I'll finish them one day, :)

Like they always move their positions in the stores...

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

That's because retail stores constantly move their product around to enable new sales/deals, present different areas with different things and hopefully get the most out of what they offer you.

A couple of the starter books are merely meh, I think its a lot better from 7 and up

And I've read all the books, I quite enjoyed them, even though there short

They're average sized for teen books, which these fall under the category of.

I think Corruption was only 200+ pages long, really.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
I hat finished all of them.
Me likes, :) Wish there were more.
Great endings.

Funny, all these books, like with Harry Potter. The first few were more childish, then at the end, it's all about death. I recommend them again.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

DM Cross

Reaction score
Honestly, I hated the ending of the series. It was cliched and corny.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Which ending, lol.
Well I mean, he made a whole universe. The things in the first book still make sense in the last book and its ending, so there's some thought there.
I think the whole lose-lose situation is nice. It's not completely original, but it's not that cliche either. And I like how the end ties up to him writing it.
I unno shrug. That's like saying Harry Potter is cliche and corny, lulz.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.