[Classroom] Screenplays

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
What is a classroom?

Classroom is a type of thread that was brought to thehelper.net few weeks ago. Classrooms are sort of many tutorials that are posted every week or two, while in between them optional assignments are given to the 'students' by the 'teacher' in order to challenge them on the topic learned. Recently classrooms have gotten rarer, however I decided that the best way to attempt to teach this massive topic is through a classroom.

What is this classroom?

This classroom will attempt to each how to basically write screenplays. However you should note that there are dozens of books about this topic and many courses that one can take, in this tutorial I will not attempt to teach anything but the very basics of screenplay writing. If after completing this classroom you feel like you want to learn more you can always buy books on the topic, there are plenty of them.

What is a screenplay?

A screenplay is a basic script which is the first draft of a movie. The writer writes down the script (usually 80-120 pages) and then from it the movie is developing, of course many changes will be added to it, but the basic story-line will be represented by the script.

How can I sign in?

Just post a message saying that you are interested in joining. Once 4 / 5 students will sign I'll start working on classes (classes will be posted every 1 - 3 weeks).

Notes

I) Please note that screenplay writing is not my profession. I'm learning it now at high-school and I hope to major screenplay writing in college, but I have yet to write a full movie script.

II) English is a second language to me, so please if you see any mistakes those were not made by laziness buy simply ignorance.

III) Screenplay writing has no rules. All that is written here is not constant and is very personal. What I'm writing is simply my own thoughts, and things that I learned through reading and learning in school.

IV) If I'll get too busy I will close this classroom or postpone it.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
You should explain what a screenplay is for people who don't know.
You sure the grammar won't be a problem when teaching? Because I found a lot of spelling errors in your post.
I won't say typos, just spelling errors.
>massage
message (what you wrote is like back rubbing)
>intrested
interested
>proffession
profession, 1 f.
>collage
college (what you wrote is when you put together many small things to make a big picture, the type of art)
>if you see any mistake those were not made by laziness buy simply ignorance.
if you see any mistakes that were not made by laziness, but by simple ignorance.

I hope I didn't embarrass you :eek:
Then again, I could find that many errors (or more) in someone's post whose first language is English :p

OH, also, I don't really need it, but Firefox 2 comes with an automatic spell checker (like in word, but works on the internet). I'm using it right now, so any errors will be underlined in red, and like word you can right click for suggested spellings.

Rheias

Reaction score
Thanks elmstfreddie, I don't think it would be such a big problem becuase I'm planning to write every lesson in "Word" before posting it.

> You should explain what a screenplay is for people who don't know.

Alright I will, although it seems that until now, not too many people are interested in this classroom.

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
>if you see any mistake those were not made by laziness buy simply ignorance.
if you see any mistakes that were not made by laziness, but by simple ignorance.

Lol, I think you are wrong about that one, you changed the meaning of it. I'm not exactly sure how you should fix that but I think it should be: if you see any mistakes, they were not made by laziness but simply by ignorance. Just had to say that since you were correcting him. (It is only wrong because you changed the meaning, I think.) :p

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Hmm, it depends on what he was trying to say I guess :p

But Rheias, it does seem that not many people are interested... :(
Don't give up though!

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Well this one of the Classrooms i Get modernator for a little because everyone elses classrooms are done or they quit ^^

I'm Still Superintendent of the Classrooms on thehelper.net intill I give up the job!

Lol, Come on people do screenplays its fun
I would join but I know how to do it (go my 13 werido mind!)
I have some nooby writer friends I'll make them come :p if no one comes

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Don't ever make the mistake of thinking you are on the staff of this site. Not just you, anyone.

Anyone who makes that mistake is basically saying they want to be banned immediately and permanently. You are not in charge of anything, you have no control, power, resonsibility or say in anything the staff does here, in any way shape or form.

Classrooms have no "superintendant" or moderator (which, by the way, you misspelled)

This is not just YOUR warning, Miz, but everyone's warning. Never impersonate staff. Ever. No excuses.

Rheias

Reaction score
This thread has gone a little off-topic I feel. What once supposed to be a classroom, is now a fight club.

> elmstfreddie

This classroom will teach 3 things basically.

A) What is a good book / movie, and then how to make with that knowledge a good script.

B) What needs to be in the script.

C) How to write the script following the agreed rules. (I will not talk much about this, this is technichal stuff that change a lot from place to place. Book is your answer).

Still waiting for students.

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
aight, I'm in - (need some sort of a writing class after Pineapple quit the other one :( )

just as an fyi for me, what is your native language?

Rheias

Reaction score
> How many sessions will there be? Or do you not know yet?

I'm not sure yet, I know what I want to teach, but I have yet to decide how I'm going to orginize this.

> aight, I'm in

Alright, the first student is in. :)

> what is your native language?

I live in Israel, so my native language is Hebrew, however I spent a year living in the U.S.A, so my English is better then average. I don't think the language part would be a major problem, because, as I was saying I'll be using "Word" as a spell checker and of course a dictionary.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Miz tends to keep an eye on all the classrooms. His grammar and spelling aren't bad at all, so if you make any mistakes, I'm sure he'll notify you and you can change it.

Rheias

Reaction score
Alright for all interested I think I have the lessons plan (more or less).

Lesson 1: Movie, Story & Screenplay.
Lesson 2: Scenes & Cinematic Events.
Lesson 3: Screenplay language.
Lesson 4: Everything else.

I think those will be the 4 / 5 lessons (I might break the first one into 2). I'll start working on them as soon as more students join the classroom, there is no point doing all this work for only one or two people.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I have to ask you if you want to use the Classroom Site?
You can post Downloads, Videos, Pictures
and I can now put chats into it!

So you don't have to use your attachments ^^
If you want it (please do) Your class gets there own main page and download page and etc.

Also I do suck at Grammar so get use to it!

Rheias

Reaction score
Sure, but at the moment it doesn't appear like the classroom is going to be opened.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Sure, but at the moment it doesn't appear like the classroom is going to be opened.

Keep in mind that both the Classroom idea and the Writer's Zone forum are still relatively new to this site... Both under a year old. It may take some time to get it more popular. (Which one? Both? Neither? Too all questions; Yes)

Sooo, if it takes awhile to get enough students, just be patient ^.^

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
If you don't get enough people I will force my friends to sign up! lol, I'm the only good writer in my Friend Group (not AIM Friends Group)

What seth said was true we just started this >.<
Most people give up on the program so it make my job harder trying to get teachers!!!!

Rheias

Reaction score
> Sooo, if it takes awhile to get enough students, just be patient

I'm patient, don't worry. ;) I'll wait until enough students sign in.

> If you don't get enough people I will force my friends to sign up

No need for that, I hope enough people from TH will join.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.