Sci/Tech Clearing the road for self-driving cars

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Again, that goes into what if's for all over the technological world. What if the technology in a plane fails? A boat? A military computer that controls missiles being fired?

The best way to prevent that is proper maintenance/patching. Just like a car requires. Those who don't keep up on their machines risk them breaking. This is nothing new. Only more sophisticated.

Don't fear the future, Accname. Let it happen. Because it's going to, whether you like it or not :)

DM Cross

Reaction score

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, that goes into what if's for all over the technological world. What if the technology in a plane fails? A boat? A military computer that controls missiles being fired?

The best way to prevent that is proper maintenance/patching. Just like a car requires. Those who don't keep up on their machines risk them breaking. This is nothing new. Only more sophisticated.

Don't fear the future, Accname. Let it happen. Because it's going to, whether you like it or not :)
Its not the same at all.
Only trained pilots are flying planes and most of them work for some kind of airline. They would never screw around and cause a crash to cash in on the insurance.
Same goes for most boats. A boat is usually that expensive and for most people utterly useless that only rich people get one. They would have no reason to commit insurance fraud either.

I wont even talk about military equipment. That was a really bad comparison.

But cars are everywhere. Car accidents happen every day, and a lot of money is being cashed out when people get hurt in a crash and sue.
And if the cars are fully automated you dont even need a license anymore. Every idiot could get a car.

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
We have airplanes that are practically self-driving. Most planes can land and start on their own (as well as do the cruise in between). Driving a commercial airliner takes more training than a driver's license, yet people don't freak out about it.

Last time I checked, car manufacturers don't make every single piece themselves. Let's say they don't make their own phalanges. What if a problem in a phalange causes a serious accident? The car is totaled so it's too late to find out what the cause is (If your argument is: A hardware problem is easier to prove later on than a software problem, consider that they're already equipped with "black boxes" that contain vital information to debug the problems)

I don't see how an outsourced hardware problem isn't the same deal as a software problem.

Siretu

Reaction score
LOL Where's the car you talking about any pict? Hmm

lexus.jpeg

DM Cross

Reaction score
But cars are everywhere. Car accidents happen every day, and a lot of money is being cashed out when people get hurt in a crash and sue.
And if the cars are fully automated you dont even need a license anymore. Every idiot could get a car.

And this means that every idiot can get from place to place without needing to drive. You're still making it sound like there's no chance the software won't be constantly flawed. My point to my examples were that all of these life-threatening machines are constantly being upgraded and maintained to be made as safe as possible. And they're not 100%.

You're asking what would happen IF it fails; It will. 100% chance it will, at some point, fail. what happens WHEN it fails?

Someone gets sued. Nothing new. Bidness is bidness.

Firecat~

Holy poop, child. You do not think before your fingers move at ALL, do you? Because these current advances are not a step forward toward total automation? Because we're not somewhat discussion POSSIBLE FUTURE ADVANCEMENTS?

Get with this conversation in the here and now, homie.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
My question is: Who will pay for this? Who is responsible?
Today its usually the driver if nothing else can be proven. But if there is no driver there is no simple answer.
But somebody got to pay for it. When people get hurt they need money to afford the medical bills.
Automated cars make this way more complicated.

Seth: You are getting trolled by him. Thats his usual business, he posts like this in any thread.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Right now it does. What about in a year? Or 5?

Possibilities, possibilities. Well. Not to the narrow-minded, I guess :rolleyes:

DM Cross

Reaction score
My question is: Who will pay for this? Who is responsible?
Today its usually the driver if nothing else can be proven. But if there is no driver there is no simple answer.
But somebody got to pay for it. When people get hurt they need money to afford the medical bills.
Automated cars make this way more complicated.

Seth: You are getting trolled by him. Thats his usual business, he posts like this in any thread.

Why does the answer need to be simple?

Who is responsible? Whoever loses the lawsuit. SSDD, homie.

Firecat comment - Eh. Passes the time til I'm off shift.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Because thats what makes people mad. If laws are complicated and hard to understand. Thats the bane of society, when the law abiding citizens dont even know what is right or wrong because they dont understand what the government is trying to tell them.
This leads to crime and anarchy.

By the way, feeding trolls is prohibited by the laws of the internet and punishable.

Siretu

Reaction score
I've already seen this before...
And it says "It still need a driver!"

They have a person in the driver's seat for safety reasons while they figure out the kinks. It doesn't need a driver.

I feel like I already answered Accname's concerns about responsibilities here.

I'd like to talk a bit about some other advantages with the self-driving cars. First of all, research has shown that self-driving cars will allow for a significant fuel optimization (40% more effective, if I recall correctly) and reduced traffic jams.

In addition to this, I feel like you could probably create service around loaning self-driving cars as a kind of personal public transport. That way you don't "waste" your car by having it stay in the garage for 95% of its lifetime. In other words, you set up a schedule and the car comes to your door on time every morning to take you to work. Want to go for a ride to see a movie or something? Just book a car.

Granted, this might not do it for a lot of people who want to know that the car is always their when they need it and don't want to wait for it. I still think it could be a useful service that could benefit the environment and the people using it.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
We're talking to Cheshire, people: he's for banning the Internet to keep the libraries open.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.