Closing Program by ESC in C++

-OverpoweR-

Reaction score
Ellow guys, i have been playing around with Dev-C++ editor and some starting C++ codes from some tutorials that i've been reading, but, i have a problem , since i want to be able to code that to exit the program when ESC is pressed, not Enter key , the tutorial has given me this command

Code:
cin.ignore(cin.rdbuf()->in_avail() + 1);

for to quit my program when the Enter key is pressed, would anyone know to tell me how can i make it ESC instead of Enter?

PS. Sorry, trying to start off , total n00b :eek:

Sgqvur

FullOfUltimateTruthsAndEt ernalPrinciples, i.e shi
Reaction score
Hey, you =)

Note: After reading my post you won't find an answer to your question but hopefully it teaches you somethin' else.

Whether you can detect keys (arrow keys, escape, etc.) in C++ doesn't mean anything, this is what the OS and some library will
give you when you actually need this. In my opinion if you are serious about learning C++ (which is in my opinion the biggest,
hardest, most frustrating programming language) you should first try to get familiar with the language's: basics -> advanced -> idioms,
and in that order.

You can quickly pick up the basics and the advanced stuff from this site: http://www.learncpp.com/
And for the idioms I guess you could find some here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/More_C++_Idioms

Of course there are other sites for reference(STL and other stuff) as well: http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp and http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/

Two important in my opinion points:

1: first grasp concepts that are generic (you can use in any programming/and some scripting languages, not just C++) and which C++ might prove
a handy tool to learn about.

2: try NOT to "reinvent the wheel":
ex: you need some kind of a data structure => use STL, do not try to write your own (you can for educational purposes of course)
ex: you need a string type => use the one that C++ or other library gives you
ex: you need somethin' else => it's probably(~99%) already been done by more experienced people, so find it and use it! No seriously think of it as a game:
the more you use other people's work/contribution the more points you get, the better the world (hm... maybe I exaggerated the last one slightly)

PS:
I like to think about programming as the worlds biggest lego. You have all these "blocks" that you can put together in
so many different ways and build "cool" stuff, sometimes even useful, and it's usually a lot cheaper.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
a quick google brings up:

Code:
    if(kbhit()){
    int ch = 0 | getch();
    if(ch == 0xe0 && kbhit()){ // extended character (0xe0, xxx)
    ch = (ch<<8) | getch(); // get extended xharaxter info
    }
    switch(ch){
    case 0x1b: cout << "ESC pressed" << endl;break;
    case 0xe048: cout << "Up pressed" << endl;break;
    case 0xe050: cout << "Down pressed" << endl;break;
    case 0xe04b: cout << "Left pressed" << endl;break;
    case 0xe04d: cout << "Right pressed" << endl;break;
    default: cout << "Some other key pressed " << hex << (int)(unsigned char)ch << " '" << (char)ch << "'" << endl;break;
    }
    cout << endl;
    }

-OverpoweR-

Reaction score
Hey, you =)

Note: After reading my post you won't find an answer to your question but hopefully it teaches you somethin' else.

Whether you can detect keys (arrow keys, escape, etc.) in C++ doesn't mean anything, this is what the OS and some library will
give you when you actually need this. In my opinion if you are serious about learning C++ (which is in my opinion the biggest,
hardest, most frustrating programming language) you should first try to get familiar with the language's: basics -> advanced -> idioms,
and in that order.

You can quickly pick up the basics and the advanced stuff from this site: http://www.learncpp.com/
And for the idioms I guess you could find some here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/More_C++_Idioms

Of course there are other sites for reference(STL and other stuff) as well: http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp and http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/

Two important in my opinion points:

1: first grasp concepts that are generic (you can use in any programming/and some scripting languages, not just C++) and which C++ might prove
a handy tool to learn about.

2: try NOT to "reinvent the wheel":
ex: you need some kind of a data structure => use STL, do not try to write your own (you can for educational purposes of course)
ex: you need a string type => use the one that C++ or other library gives you
ex: you need somethin' else => it's probably(~99%) already been done by more experienced people, so find it and use it! No seriously think of it as a game:
the more you use other people's work/contribution the more points you get, the better the world (hm... maybe I exaggerated the last one slightly)

PS:
I like to think about programming as the worlds biggest lego. You have all these "blocks" that you can put together in
so many different ways and build "cool" stuff, sometimes even useful, and it's usually a lot cheaper.

Eh :D , i am not trying to 'learn' C++, i am honestly just trying to figure out ways to have fun with it, and i am really happy since i did code my very first program , simple as it is, it made my day super awesome ^^ , its just, the thing with this ESC i thought that it might be just a simple addition,as i would like to watch my program ,and close it when i say so, not to close itself right away after im done with the commands ^^ , thank you for your post,honestly, very very encouraging :thup:

a quick google brings up:

Code:
    if(kbhit()){
    int ch = 0 | getch();
    if(ch == 0xe0 && kbhit()){ // extended character (0xe0, xxx)
    ch = (ch<<8) | getch(); // get extended xharaxter info
    }
    switch(ch){
    case 0x1b: cout << "ESC pressed" << endl;break;
    case 0xe048: cout << "Up pressed" << endl;break;
    case 0xe050: cout << "Down pressed" << endl;break;
    case 0xe04b: cout << "Left pressed" << endl;break;
    case 0xe04d: cout << "Right pressed" << endl;break;
    default: cout << "Some other key pressed " << hex << (int)(unsigned char)ch << " '" << (char)ch << "'" << endl;break;
    }
    cout << endl;
    }

Thank you for your effort to find it for me, i implemented it to my code but it didnt work, gave me an error while trying to compile, sorry a bit irritating, but yea ill try to experimentise some more and figure it out ;) , thanks.

Ps. Found the solution on that site learncpp :D , Direct Link

and i should just post the code here for all the lazy people :)

Code:
cin.clear();
cin.ignore(255, '\n');
cin.get();

Make sure to have
Code:
#include <iostream>

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
You know, when you say that there is an error, you should really tell us what the error messages are.
Error messages are annoying, yes.
But part of the fun is that it's usually your fault an error comes up =P

A possibility for the error messages appearing in Slapshot's example is:
You forgot to include conio.h

Here is a full example of Slapshot's code that requires no modifications to work.
Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <conio.h>
using namespace std;

int main () {
	while (true) {
		if(_kbhit()){
			int ch = 0 | _getch();
			if(ch == 0xe0 && _kbhit()){ // extended character (0xe0, xxx)
				ch = (ch<<8) | _getch(); // get extended xharaxter info
			}
			switch(ch){
				case 0x1b:
					cout << "ESC pressed" << endl;
				break;
				case 0xe048: 
					cout << "Up pressed" << endl;
				break;
				case 0xe050: 
					cout << "Down pressed" << endl;
				break;
				case 0xe04b: 
					cout << "Left pressed" << endl;
				break;
				case 0xe04d: 
					cout << "Right pressed" << endl;
				break;
				default: 
					cout << "Some other key pressed " << hex 
						 << (int)(unsigned char)ch << " '" 
						 << (char)ch << "'" << endl;
				break;
			}
			cout << endl;
		}
	}
	return 0;
}

There are no compile errors or warnings (kbhit and getch should be _kbhit and _getch respectively) in this example.
It's not that Slapshot's code is broken, it's that you needed to include a file and place the snippet in the main function.

-OverpoweR-

Reaction score
aah :D dang, there's just so much i need to work out with right now ^^ , thank you for the correction camelCase :thup:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.