CoD discussion

Sud

"[If life=Dota] I'd have quit long ago" -- Acehart
Reaction score
It seems that both programs are having problems with alpha channels with user .BLPs when they export? I'm getting alpha issues with other skin .BLPs too. They aren't behaving like the sorc skin. This is going to make it an incredible pain to shrink these files in size, because I assume I'm going to have to manually re-add the alpha channel to each?

Edit: looks like there's issues in the fixed version, doesn't display correctly in the viewer. Why exactly are these custom BLPs not exporting their alpha information right?

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
W3IE is what I saw when I first open. I assume all teal should be alpha out.

Inside Ulead is what I see (um, in ulead) you can see the selection areas I have created.

LOL I messed up, I selected the teal and forgot to invert it.

Things NOT SELECTED are alphad. Heres a new. And look, with no resize its 70kb smaller.

Attachments

• inside ulead.jpg
    inside ulead.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 248
  • W3IE2.jpg
    W3IE2.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 278
  • SkeletonSkinGreenFIX.blp
    106.8 KB · Views: 212

Sud

Reaction score
I was able to select it by color, which selected everything.

But I was not able to layer it - ULEAD kept saying that it couldn't support objects.

What I did was select the teal by color, then made it part of a layer, but I guess it isn't going to work like that.

I'm going to have to do this with a bunch of skins this way too gah

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Did you see I messed up and reuploaded? I had the alphas backwards.

No no not by layers!

Just SELECT it. Then save it TGA. Anything 'not' selected will be alphad *

I was able to select it by color, which selected everything.

But I was not able to layer it - ULEAD kept saying that it couldn't support objects.

>>>What I did was select the teal by color
Good.

>>>then made it part of a layer
Bad.

>>>I guess it isn't going to work like that.
Nope.

Select the teal. Then Selection -> Invert. Now teals not selected, everything else is. Teal is now alphad.

>>>I'm going to have to do this with a bunch...
Ulead can resize and preserve a selection area. May lose acuracy.

Gimme some if you want me to experiment.

(* Assuming the model was designed to do alphas. )

Sud

Reaction score
OH ok I see, the selection actually instructs it to do the alphaing eh.

That'll mean then that ULEAD is really the only graphics package you can do skinning with, unless you know exactly how to transfer specific stuff into an alpha channel. Oi vey.

Sud

Reaction score
I actually did it myself ;)

New skin for the skeleton is now 77kb and works perfectly - shrank it from 256x256 down to 128x128

Thanks, I should be able to save a LOT of kb using this technique along with the blackout technique.

Hopefully in 30 days I hope ULEAD doesn't spaz out at me heh

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Oh you did resize it? I was afraid to because of that detailed mesh and face. My save at 80% blp (that means, 80% the color cast) was 107kb, but still 256x256.

NOTE, warcraft can't even display many things on that detail level (like the face) heh heh.

So you could acheive even more at 128x128, 80%.

Your choice I guess.

Just dont convert the same one over and over, it starts to get damaged. Work with an original and experiment.

(80%, then 80% again, then 80% again, etc)

Blackout technique? Same as a teal-out techniqe really... Just a different value for the color :D

...what was the name of the trail file you downloaded for ulead?

Was it....the XL?

Sud

Reaction score
Most of the important ultimates that use sounds have them set to global.

This is because of the threat they pose in the game.

Tel'Arin - Towers are going down if you don't get there and defend, massive nuking in group vs group
4 Horsemen - Towers and group vs group threat
Stinky Steven - well global farts are just hilarious (plus its good for warning you that you might get steven slammed on from out of nowhere)
Armada - Tower threat

One of the things that I'm working toward is to make people aware of things going on around them. Sounds do that much better than any visual representation because when people are doing something like fighting a hero, they get tunnel vision (ie. Sargon gets so busy trying to destroy a tower, he doesn't notice I'm fighting an enemy hero not 3 seconds away from him). For very important events, like an ultimate like the above, sounds break people's tunnel vision and make them question what's going on and where, and when they see the legion of skeletons coming, they can go "oh shit I'd better get there".

Fun Fact: Tel'Arin's sound set consists of bad japanese voice actors from the D&D Shadow over Mystara arcade game (in which Tel'Arin is featured)

You mean trial file? I got PhotoImpact 10 TBYB (upi10_ustbyb.exe was installer name)

I'm going to experiement with the skeleton a bit because the 128x128 does damage the mesh quite hard, and the borders that you see are actually lined with the tealy color, which is a bit hard on the eyes. Will see if quality reductions are a better idea in this case

Sud

Reaction score
Aha, simply reducing it in quality yields a 73kb file, and it's MUCH better too.

128x128 at 100% quality looks fairly bad, loses a lot of the mesh, and a teal color can be seen on the outline

256x256 at 60% quality looks about as good as the original, and almost same size as the 128x128 one too.

PB_and_J

level 85 anti-spammer
Reaction score
Doesnt anti ulti summon 5 horseman?

Cres

Reaction score
It summons 4, even though its a 5 pointed star... strange isnt it.
On a side note, how do you use magerape? i have never seen it used in a game b4

Sud

Reaction score
Very nice, I managed to reduce his Cleric model by over 100kb with absolutely no visible detail loss (and no resolution loss).

Magerape's a ward that you can put down at a pretty decent distance. It hits repeatedly very quickly and each hit does feedback. It works great vs mages, as you would obviously glean from the name. Not so hot vs the big dumb ogre, but he has some mana. It only targets heroes, so it'll start firing at the first one it chooses, so if that hero is out of mana you'll want to tell it to attack something else.

I like to use it to backstab people. Hide in the fog of war, wait for an opportunity, then detonate your victim and set the magerape in such a manner that it covers his entire escape route. Nasty bit of business there.

Sud

Reaction score
Maybe, I'm reducing models atm.

200kb off Stinky Steven

Sud

Reaction score
hmm, the WE doesn't like that brand of MP3 you put together (despite the fact works fine in any other player).

WE require a certain configuration out of its MP3s?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.