Collaborative "project"

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
In an effort to try and get my head around some of the stuff contained within the Starcraft II editor, I am offering (or requesting, depending on how you choose to look at it ;)) a partnership in an effort to learn more about the editor and how to use it - this doesn't necessarily mean that I am only looking for a 2-person group in particular, but I do not wish to get ahead of myself.

Things to note
  • This is not a map project as such - while a map could result from it, I am aiming for this to be a learning experience, whereby we simply work together to figure out various elements of the editor (be it the Trigger Editor, the Data Editor, or some other component).
  • At this present moment, I have no particular schedule in mind. I do not expect anyone to be available at a specific hour, or have a certain amount of work - we can simply do as much as we want, and arrange on a particular time where we can discuss what we've learned since the last "get-together".
  • There is no obligation to commit to this for a particular amount of time - if you simply don't want to continue, or feel that I (or anyone in the group, if more than 2 people participate) am simply 'leeching' from you, and doing no investigation by themselves, then simply say you want out.

Requirements
For the sake of making this as seamless as possible, there are a few requirements
  • A reasonable standard of English - if we can't understand what is being said to us, then this whole thing falls apart
  • MSN Messenger (if you wish to use an alternative IM service, we can try to arrange that)
  • Voice communications (optional) - while not as important, IMO, as an IM client, it would be useful if/when both/all of us are working with the Editor simultaneously, rather than switching between the Editor and a chat client.

If there are any requirements that anyone thinks I should add (reasonable English and an IM client are the only ones I can think of to be vital, at the moment), feel free to let me know.

Finally... if you don't like the idea and/or have something against it, please don't reply - I do not care if you think there may be something wrong with this idea, this thread is for those who like the idea and are interested in it.

Frozenwind

System maker
Reaction score
What kind of project are you looking for?
I'm working on one (2-man with me being a triggerer and him being a terrainer), but I'm afraid I don't understand a lot about the data editor yet. (Yes, I can copy some units etc., but animations etc. will get hard, lol. I totally prefer wc3's animation system (for now, might change later)). Do you know anything about the data editor yet?

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
What kind of project are you looking for?
I'm working on one (2-man with me being a triggerer and him being a terrainer), but I'm afraid I don't understand a lot about the data editor yet. (Yes, I can copy some units etc., but animations etc. will get hard, lol. I totally prefer wc3's animation system (for now, might change later)). Do you know anything about the data editor yet?
This is not a map project as such - while a map could result from it, I am aiming for this to be a learning experience
At this point in time (although, I've got one possible partner so far, so the following is subject to change), there is no particular direction - my intention is for this to simply be an effort to learn through the sharing of knowledge gained by experimentation with the editor.

And I know very little about the Data Editor - I have a very basic understanding of the associations between units, actors, weapons and effects but haven't had much time to experiment with these to see how they can be manipulated (I've only had the game since yesterday, so I've played around with the Editor for a few hours in between playing the game :))

Frozenwind

System maker
Reaction score
Well, basically, I'm using all my wc3 knowledge to actually create a sc2 map (yet I'm learning about dialogs, the new trigger functions and moreover the data editor). If you want, you can help out making some things possible until you feel like you want something else (ofc credits will be given if you've actually created things - even if it's a few).

So summarised, my goals are both learning the new sc2 editor (mostly the data editor, as it's totally new) but also actually releasing a map. In wc3 I have about ~4 released (relatively tiny - escapes) maps, whereas I've had over 20 projects. Time to actually finish a map in sc2, which is made possible because I've got one partner already - more motivation.

If you want to know something... ask.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd be interested in doing this. :)
I have MSN. No voice client (lacking microphone). My English is terrible.

We're in the same time zone too, which will certainly be handy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.