Arena Colosseum

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Colosseum -- wip
name pending

Short Description:
Colosseum is an Arena fighting game where you fight other players in 1 vs 1 matches. Every player have control of a small group of units that is customized by the players.

Design Philosophy:
In Colosseum you will get control of a group of units. You can customize your group with whatever classes you want, and every unit has a set of skills available for learning. At the moment every unit starts with 2 fixed skills.

The design philosophy I've had for Colosseum is to make a game where you do not actively use your unit's attacks and special abilities. Instead, each unit have an action queue (item inventory). When a unit is ordered to attack another unit it will use the first skill (item) in the queue that is not on cooldown. If attacking a friendly unit, hostile skills will not be used, but support skills will be used instead. (There's also a system in place to make units cast hostile/support skills on the target's target when they cannot be cast directly on the target.)

New Screenshots:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

-- Progress --

4 Arenas:
The Arid Desert
The Overgrown Temple
The Dark Forest
The Lost Island

Added Races and changed all units into heroes:
Human:
  • Human Warrior
    - Skills: Slash, Seismic Slam, Ground Stomp, Leap, Block
  • Human Archer
    - Skills: Poison Sting, Power Shot, Frost Arrow, Concussion Shot, Disrupting Shot, Barrage, Dodge
  • Human Wizard
    - Skills: Fireball, Fire Wall, Frostbolt, Implode
  • Human Priest
    - Skills: Flash Heal, Greater Heal

Orc:
  • Orc Grunt
    - Skills: Frenzy, Slash, Seismic Slam, Ground Stomp
  • Orc BattleMage
    - Skills: Frenzy, Seisimic Slam, Implode, Block
  • Orc Warlock
    - Skills: Fire Wall, Fireball
  • Orc Shaman
    - Skills: Rejuvenation, Frostbolt

Night Elf:
  • Night Elf Sentinel
    - Skills: Moon Glaive, Slash, Dodge
  • Night Elf Archer
    - Skills: Poison Sting, Power Shot, Frost Arrow, Concussion Shot, Disrupting Shot, Barrage, Dodge
  • Night Elf Assassin
    - Skills: Stab, Rupture, Ambush, Garrote, Disrupting Dagger, Cripping Dagger, Moon Glaive, Mind Shock, Shadow Step, Dodge
  • Night Elf Druid
    - Skills: Rejuvenation, Healing Rain, Dodge

Undead:
  • Undead Ghoul
    - Skills: Hunger, Frenzy, Slash
  • Undead Ghost
    - Skills: Stab, Ambush, Vampiric Leech, Mind Shock, Shadow Step, Dodge
  • Undead Wizard
    - Skills: Frostbolt
  • Undead Priest
    - Skills: Flash Heal, Greater Heal, Soulreap, Mind Shock

Modified Experience system:
You gain xp for dealing damage
You gain xp for healing lost hit points

Added Stats:
Movement:
  • + movement speed

Strength:
  • + physical damage done
  • - physical damage taken
  • + physical healing done
  • + physical healing taken

Dexterity:
  • - chance to miss
  • + chance to hit
  • + chance to crit
  • + chance to dodge (with skill)
  • + chance to block (with skill)

Wisdom:
  • + magical damage done
  • - magical damage taken
  • + magical healing done
  • + magical healing taken

Health:
  • + life

Miss/Hit/Crit System:
  • When attacking someone with a skill, your dexterity will determine if you miss, hit or crit.
  • Crit deals double damage for most skills. Other skill become twice as powerful in other ways.
  • Certain AoE skills will always hit their target. These skills do a similar test when casting, with the results fail/succeed/crit instead.

On Hit Skills:
  • I've added skills that are used when hit by an attack, instead of when attacking another unit.
  • For the moment, the only skills that function in this way are dodge, and block

Fully Playable AI!
  • All computer players added to the game will be controlled by the map AI.
  • Any leavers will be replaced by an AI to continue controlling them.
  • The AI has been said to own in some games on B.Net. - Can you beat it?

-- This is a work in progress, so comments about anything and everything is appreciated --

Attachments

• Colosseum 161208.2(p).w3x
    303.4 KB · Views: 349
  • Soulreap3.jpg
    Soulreap3.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 507
  • Soulreap.jpg
    Soulreap.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 477
  • Implode6.jpg
    Implode6.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 465
  • 16vs16_11.jpg
    16vs16_11.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 444

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
Haven't tried it yet, will test now. Looks awsome with custom spells, diffrent areas and that spell system!

After Testing:

Possitive:
--- Nice spells!
----- Add more of them :D
--- Balanced units.
----- Add more units so you can form a more custom "troop"
--- Very good terrain.
--- The item casting from invetory works! :D (yay!)
--- Very nice arenas!

Negative:
--- Items/spells can be dropped during combat
--- Miss more units to choose from

Gameplay: 9/10
Spells: 10/10
Units: 8/10 (Need more of them)
Terrain: 10/10
How Things/Systems Work: 9/10 (The drop able spells/items)

9/10 - 10/10 (Not sure :p)

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Thanks for your thorough review :)

Negative:
--- Items/spells can be dropped during combat
I'll put that on my to-do list to fix.

More units and spells is definitely something I'd like to add. Unit/skill Ideas are very welcome at this stage.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
I'm looking for gameplay/unit/spell ideas that could make the map fun. I will +rep good ideas.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Sweet map dude! I liked it a lot, the AI is rather weak(they just stay there) but i congratulate you for maiking an AI in the first place!

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Sweet map dude! I liked it a lot, the AI is rather weak(they just stay there) but i congratulate you for maiking an AI in the first place!

Yeah, they're just there so you can test out all your fancy spells :)
I do want to make an AI though, I just haven't gotten there yet.

Zack1996

Working on a Map
Reaction score
The map is really GREAT! It has a lot of potential!
Just some suggestions:
1. Show some tips at the beginning of the game, telling players to equip their units with skills first, or give the units random skills if they have not filled their skill slots.
2. Show the items in cooldown :p It would be nice if you do that because then players can time their attacks or w/e
3. Give a limit of how many of the same spells each unit can have, in case some people spam a certain spell.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Thanks, I think the map has potential too. Many things need to be different for it to become really good though. I feel all the fun is thrown at you at the very beginning of the game, and then it just becomes kind of boring.
To answer your suggestions Zack
  1. I'm definitely adding tips to the game. It hasn't been high on the priority list however. My first order of business was to get some feedback on how easy/confusing the game was to get into for new players without any kind of help. From what I've gathered, it's not too hard to understand. Still, I'm adding tips in a later version.
  2. This suggestion is a bit tied to the next suggestion. If I let units have more than one of each skill, I am unable to add a cooldown clock to the item. This is because items must be in a cooldown group. If one item is set on cooldown, all other items of the same type will also be set on cooldown. For a long time I really tried to make the items have cooldown clocks, but it seemed impossible because of the previous reason.
  3. I really want abilities to be spamable if that is what a player likes. It's not fully decided if I'm going to put a limit on how many of the same skill a unit can have though. With planned passive/onHit abilities I think players will want to diversify. Time and balance will tell if I need to set a limit.
Here's a list of some ideas I have to make it more interesting along the way to victory.

Ideas for some changes:

Starting Units:
  • 1 Race Picker: every player will get to choose their race in the beginning of the game. Examples: Human/Orc/Undead/Night Elf/Naga
  • 4 Villagers: after picking a race, every player will get 4 immovable villagers of that race. They can be changed to heroes belonging to your race. Examples: Orc Grunt, Human Warrior, Human Archer, Night Elf Archer

Heroes:
  • Every unit will be changed to a hero, all with their own set of stats. Which stats I want are still undecided, but move and hp will be their own stats. The remaining (2-3) stats will be used to determine the effectiveness of skills used by the heroes. No primary stat will be used.
  • I will remove the ability to get whatever and how many skills you want like it is in the test map. Instead, heroes will start with 2-3 fixed skills. This way, different units can have the same skill sets, while still being different from eachother. Stats will also vary between heroes.

Examples:
    Orc Grunt
    Can choose from Combat Skills
    Starts with Charge and 2 x Frenzy
    Human Warrior
    Can choose from Combat Skills
    Starts with Cleave, Slam and Block​

Experience:
  • For the experience system I am thinking that you will get experience for dealing damage, and healing hp (whether other effects like stun/knockback will give xp is still undecided).
  • When reaching a new level, you will not get your price right away, but rather after the fight.
  • All the heroes that died in a fight will get their xp cut by a percentage. I'm thinking 25% of all xp, but that is up for balancing.
    Reasoning for xp penalty on death:
    Since every player will deal some damage, and heal some hp, every player will get xp. To give you an incentive to win and survive, you lose some xp on death. The more xp you have, the more you lose. This is a way to make it much worse to lose if you are on the top, than if you're already at the bottom. The idea is that players that have lost a great deal shall still be able to turn things around.

Example:
    1st Fight
    Player 1 gains 120xp
    Player 2 gains 100xp
    Player 2 loses and gets his xp reduced to 100 * 0.75 = 75
    2nd Fight
    Player 1 gains 80xp and is now at 200xp
    Player 2 gains 100xp and is now at 175xp
    Player 1 loses and gets his xp reduced to 200 * 0.75 = 150

Result: Player 2 has surpassed Player 1 in xp

If it doesn't work exactly like this in praxis, I'll balance it so it does.
  • Those heroes that gained a level will get to choose a new skill, or if they're lucky, a new stat point. Heroes that loses a level, loses their last gained skill/stat point.

Goal of the game:
  • The final goal of the game is to win a certain amount of fights, determined by the host, voted by, etc.
  • With the changes to how heroes/skills work, I think there now will be more sub goals along the way for players to have fun with, instead of having all the focus on just how many fights you've won.

Please comment about what you like/dislike.
I really want to create a fun game here, so now is your chance to influence how the game ends up being.

Joker(Div)

Always Here..
Reaction score
Nice innovative concept! It was a little confusing at start, then i realized the spells run on auto.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Personally i think that this map needs a nice duel system, to start off.When you have a playable map you can add stuff like special events in each of the arenas.
here are some sugjestions:
Each area will have random events. Here are a coupple of random events:
1 Traps- evry X seconds a trap will be placed somewhere on the map.
- mines- they deal 150 dmg in 300 AoE if some one touches them
- venom tounge- a special mine that will make the one who touches it to looose 5 hp per sec, until his hp is lower then 7%
- Curse Mark Trap- the armor of 3 of your units will be reduced by1 each 5 seconds.
- Soul Reaver trap- it will scater your units in random corners of the map

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
@Lobster
so, its kinda like a custom micro arena? Sounds cool. im gonna try it.
It's custom and you need to micro, so yes I guess :)

@Joker(Div)
Nice innovative concept! It was a little confusing at start, then i realized the spells run on auto.
A little confusion was expected. I'm going to add short tips that show on the screen. Got any suggestions on what tips would have shortened your confusion? I'd like the map to be easily understood as fast as possible to avoid frustration from players.

@Bloodcount
Personally i think that this map needs a nice duel system, to start off.When you have a playable map you can add stuff like special events in each of the arenas.
here are some sugjestions:
Each area will have random events. Here are a coupple of random events:
1 Traps- evry X seconds a trap will be placed somewhere on the map.
- mines- they deal 150 dmg in 300 AoE if some one touches them
- venom tounge- a special mine that will make the one who touches it to looose 5 hp per sec, until his hp is lower then 7%
- Curse Mark Trap- the armor of 3 of your units will be reduced by1 each 5 seconds.
- Soul Reaver trap- it will scater your units in random corners of the map
I suppose special events could add something to the map. It's not high on the priority list though. My focus is on making the combat interesting in itself. Still, thanks for suggesting.

mines would kill everyone instantly by the way. Units only have 100 hp :p

I'm a bit confused about what you mean when you say the map need a nice duel system. The map is duel only.

Since I haven't gotten any feedback on the ideas for changes I've listed, I'm just going to do them. A good deal of it is already made.
For the next test release I'm also going to add a much better AI to make testing easier and more fun, so stay tuned.

Faust

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Looks awesome

You said you queue the spells... But are they used automatically? :eek:

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
@Faust
Looks awesome

You said you queue the spells... But are they used automatically? :eek:
Yes, all spells are cast automatically in place of your default attack.

@Lobo
Fun map, nice work! Looking forward to new and improved versions.
Thanks for your support. Got any opinions on what new improvements you'd most like to see?

I'm toying with an idea to introduce actively castable skills after all. They won't be exactly as skills in warcraft 3 are though.
Castable skills will still be placed in the skill queue (inventory). However, when auto-attacking, the unit will skip all castable skills, and only cast it's attack skills.
You will instead get a new command (like attack, move, stop) for every unit called cast. When using this command, the unit will be ordered to cast the first castable skill in the skill queue (inventory).

What do you think? Would it just add more confusion, or could it be a good addition to add more player interaction?

Joker(Div)

Always Here..
Reaction score
A little confusion was expected. I'm going to add short tips that show on the screen. Got any suggestions on what tips would have shortened your confusion? I'd like the map to be easily understood as fast as possible to avoid frustration from players.

Perhaps a short intro at the beginning would help, like Cohadar's new map.

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
It's neat. +rep

hope to see more of this.

btw, shadow priests dont heal themselves.. o_O

Some suggestions would be to make more large scale battles, right now a healer can out-heal damage from that AI you got there. Make units have more HP so it involves some sort of micro management from the player.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Very Cool Map,
Nice Triggered Spells,
Flashy Smooth Effects,
I Think People Like To Control Themselves,
Though Just BETA It's Pointless After Few Rounds,
Spells Are Cool So Self-Control Would Be Neat,
But This Strategic Fighting Is Interesting,
Terrain Is Nice,
Good Job,

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Yay, Like Rappunk! But mine has a pyramid format that goes outward if you can just... tilt your head a bit to the right... look down slightly... the point goes out... yeah. +rep

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.