Composing Competition 1

Squll2

je'ne sais pas
Reaction score
CC1-TH.jpg

Thank you Jimpy for the sexy image.

Approved competition by Kc102, Jimpy.

July 20th - August 5th

Hey everyone, we've finally decided to have our very own composing competition (trumpet fanfare) wooohooo :thup:
It is very open in terms of guidelines.

Here's a quick rundown of some of the facts:

Judges
Jimpy
Squll2

Rules
-Any genre is allowed
-Any song length
-No remixes (midi rips, re sequenced songs, mashups etc), it must be original content!
-Maximum of one submission per person (Preferably post the song in this thread with a download link)
-No submissions past the deadline (August 5th)
-Does not specifically have to be written with a computer, recordings of instrument playing is acceptable too!

Reviewing Guideline (40 Points Total)

Composition - 10 Marks
-Does the song progress?
-Is it repetitive?
-Knowledge and use of varied keys, scales, cadences etc...
-Does it flow?

Production - 15 Marks
-Is it clipping?
-Do the instruments/synths work well together?
-Is the song 'full' sounding? (large frequency range being engaged, stereo use)

Originality - 5 Marks
-Does the song sound unique, or is it comparable to every other song from its genre? (Originality will play a factor in the other scoring sections as well, however points will be rewarded for pieces that really stand out as unique)

Personal - 5 Marks
-Our personal opinion of the piece

Effects - 5 Marks
-Chorus, Reverb, Delay, automations, filters, stutters, tape stops, bit crushers; were they needed? Used? Effectively?

Prizes
1st Place - 15 Reputation
2nd Place - 10 Reputation
3rd Place - 5 Reputation

Top 3 winnerss, and submissions will also be featured in Jimpy's signature.

Contestants

Whitesock
Ozzdog
Zakyath
_______
_______

Places

1st. Ozzdog

2nd. Zakyath

3rd. Whitesock

Squll2

je'ne sais pas
Reaction score
Bump, your added Whitesock, wow this is attracting much less attention then I thought haha :eek:

Zakyath

Reaction score
How much will it differ if the song has vocals or not? Most of the songs posted in this forum are meant to have vocals, but hasn't. How big difference will it make?

Squll2

je'ne sais pas
Reaction score
How much will it differ if the song has vocals or not? Most of the songs posted in this forum are meant to have vocals, but hasn't. How big difference will it make?

Well vocals are just technically a instrument, so it doesnt really matter, just use a instrument like a piano to imitate the vocal melody you had in mind if you can't find a good singer to do them for you its really the same thing. It will make no difference if you do this, however if you dont replace them with an instrument and say "This is meant to have vocals" well that means nothing to me, I can't get a feeling for what the vocals would sound like. so i'll just mark you on what you have presented.

Squll2

je'ne sais pas
Reaction score
Unless the judges share my taste in music, I'm afraid I won't stand a chance.

I like all types of music.. and im pretty sure Jimpy likes abstract stuff too :) Comee onnn, its worth a shot :thup:

Zakyath

Reaction score
I like all types of music.. and im pretty sure Jimpy likes abstract stuff too :) Comee onnn, its worth a shot :thup:

Well, haven't really got much to lose :) I will try writing my first instrumental song ever

Ozzdog

Hopeless Toby Driver fan boy
Reaction score
If I manage to get Stereo Mix on this computer I'm as good as done :)
I have. I gather most people won't enjoy it, I made it for myself... I don't want to sound narcissistic, but I made it for ME, and I love it.

Its in my Prog Rock thread, which has seemed to die. (Ozolination is my favourite)...

I guess I could just post it here?

Zakyath

Reaction score
I have. I gather most people won't enjoy it, I made it for myself... I don't want to sound narcissistic, but I made it for ME, and I love it.

Its in my Prog Rock thread, which has seemed to die. (Ozolination is my favourite)...

I guess I could just post it here?

Post the song in the thread with a download link =)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.