Compressing a Truevision Targa (.TGA) file.

Demonfaze

8 yrs. Hell, it's been a long time.
Reaction score
How do you compress a .tga file?

I download a few programs off of google claiming to compress images, but they simply compressed images in the .jpg format, which is not what I need. If I use a program such as paint shop pro to "Save As.." an image into the .tga file, it increases in file-size massively. (about 13kb to 170kb)

Thanks for the help.

Demonfaze

Reaction score
My friend compressed images for me perfectly, so I know it is possible. But I feel I need to learn how to do it on my own, since I've asked him to compress images so many times =/

Basically I can start with any format (probably .JPG or .BMP) and I need to make a TGA file that is somewhat small in size.

-----

What I'm actually trying to do is make a mini-map preview for a warcraft 3 map that doesn't take up too much space. The JPG file is only 13kb; I want the TGA file to be as small as possible without losing much quality: preferrably less than 60kb in size. However, when I try to save it as a TGA, the filesize jumps up to about 180kb.

Demonfaze

Reaction score
I just finished downloading the Gimp.

I tried saving, putting a check on RLE compression, but it is still about 166kb.

Demonfaze

Reaction score
I want to reduce the quality, as long as it doesn't look too bad. I just don't know how or what to use to do so.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Well the thing is, you can't compress without losing any quality at all. The more you compress the more quality you will lose, nevertheless what the filetype is.

Demonfaze

Reaction score
That's exactly what I want to do. I just want to learn how to compress something, but where I have the power to adjust how much percentage I want to compress it, and I can go from there through trial & error to find a balance between quality and size.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
tgas aren't very compressible.
At least not when it comes to w3. Chances are it will crash when trying to use it...

If you're really worried about size, get a program like Warcraft 3 Viewer, which has the option to convert tga into blp.

blp is, let's say, Blizzard's version of jpg.
Highly compressible.
The less you care for quality, the smaller it gets.

And, yes, blp does work for minimaps.
If you import it as war3mapPreview.blp.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> .jpg's compress much better then .blp's though.

That remains to be seen.
Either way, it easily beats tga.

However, the big difference would be that w3 understands blp. And has no idea about jpg...

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.