Conan's Adventures in World of Warcraft

H

Heptameron

The guild part is actually the opposite. At least if you aren't trying to get into a guild: in that case everyone uses /invite on you so a dialog pops up out of the blue w/ no explanation.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Hahaha! For some reason when I found that a while ago I only was able to see like the first one or two pages. Maybe it was still in the making or something....

Yea, that sums all MMORPGs efficiently. Ah well, at least Guild Wars and WoW have good quests that don't follow that stereotype...except WoW follows that exaggeration of 50$ a day and the poor graphics :p

Only the worst MMORPGs with the least quality of gameplay make it big. I have no idea why. It's probably like DotA over games like CoD.

The original Everquest was very popular and I tried that game out. I hated it. It's so %&@%in awful. It takes you like weeks to find out any good place to adventure because there are two confusing towns with no easy way to get through them, 100 different buttons to press, and there's this "wilderness" connecting the two towns. Sure you can get through the wilderness, but can you get out of it on a more interesting end? No, it's bland all the dang way around. I was more impressed with Runescape because it at least has an alright map.

T

team.ism

'biggest' definately does not mean 'good' or 'fun' or even 'interesting.' I remember when i thought 'pay to play is a good idea, it will prevent all the annoying kids from playing.' then i realized that the annoying kids all have parents that would gladly shell out money just so they wont annoy them! I think i might play it again when school starts, in the daytime, when all the annoying kids are at school. heh. Maybe not. It's just too boring.

"You are too far away to attack" Forget it. Just run up to the guy and slice him. geez.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
I hope that doesn't mean I'm annoying. I usually clean up after my messy 4 other siblings and then Dad shells out some money for me to spend on various crap.

You can never escape annoying kids. I'm homeschooled so I can get on at the weirdest times for schoolkids but you forgot something important. Annoying kids stay home from school 20-50% of the time. You're going to have to get REALLY lucky to find any game idiot-free for a minute.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Funny how you think you know the game, yet you haven't played it. And even if you have, it does not mean the game is poor just because you don't like it.

Your also taking information from a silly little comic, which degrades your credability.

T

team.ism

You are right conan. I am wrong. What ever was I thinking to speak against you, my lord. It will never happen again. Of that, I can assure you.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
team.ism said:
You are right conan. I am wrong. What ever was I thinking to speak against you, my lord. It will never happen again. Of that, I can assure you.

That is right.

Now fetch me a glass of wine, peasant.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Rofl, I think he should've added sarcasm tags....

Well, anyway, you think I was ACTUALLY taking that data from a comic? The comic REPRESENTS it, but it is NOT my source :p

In fact, YOU are my source at the moment on WoW's features.

I haven't even played it yet...because of its rotten money per month :mad:

Now if I had 100$ to waste for no good reason, I'd sit down, check out the game FULLY, and see if it was any good. But, last time I played a game with horrible graphics and stupid people raving about it's goodness, I got a game called Everquest, wasted at least 100$ on it, and it sucked pretty badly. That is the last time I accepted to play a game just because other people liked it.

Yet I can pay 50$ to play a game called Guild Wars which is beautiful graphics-wise, and this only adds to the gameplay where the not-so-crappy attitudes of pro players on various RPGs and such play. Not to say that GW doesn't have its share of idiots *looks at all of the GW people randomly breaking out into dances in the pre-Searing*. Now what introduced me to Guild Wars would be my cousins, because at first I was doubtful. The terrain looked AWESOME but I couldn't tell from the gameplay. If I played WoW with or without a preview ahead of time from a relative, I'm pretty sure my eyes would fall out at the ugliness. If you're not going to use enough polygons in one area, Blizzard, at least use detailed textures!

Sud

"[If life=Dota] I'd have quit long ago" -- Acehart
Reaction score
Both of them tend not to be great ideas.

Guildwars, at least you don't have to pay monthly, but it's not a hell of a lot more than Diablo 2.5 with more pvping. The pvp system tends to be rock paper scissors. At least for the one time fee you're not going to feel too dinged when you feel like quitting though.

World of Warcraft. Had a friend in the beta, who proclaimed the experience to be "one of the biggest pieces of crap he's ever experienced". Keep in mind this is someone who didn't even mind Anarchy Online (one of the most contentless MMRPGs in the business, too bad too because the game did have legitimate promise, but they turned it into a useless cash cow). All the quests were boring "fetch/retrieve" crap, and the zones were bland and uninspired.

And of course, looking over it myself, half the content icon-wise looks like regurgitated Warcraft 3 icons.

Really, just avoid MMORPGs. Stick to games that require some talent to play, like Battlefield 2. These gamemakers need to learn that playing a game is simply more than right clicking monster and waiting until it dies, ANY MMORPG should be using a first person shooter engine and feature real (not random value) combat. That's when I'll probably start to foray into it.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
team.ism said:
WoW is a pretty sad excuse for a game :(

totally agreed, and the only reason it is the biggest RPG is cuz Blizzard made it so ppl automaticly thought it should be good, and conan think about it this way, JUST cuz U think its good doesnt mean its good, cuz i know it doesnt take much of a video game to please a 13 year old. :p

Sud

Reaction score
To that end, I'm so very analytical and choosy when it comes to my games, stemming from the fact that I've been gaming since many of you were just DNA waiting for an escape opportunity.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Rinpun said:
Now if I had 100$ to waste for no good reason, I'd sit down, check out the game FULLY, and see if it was any good. But, last time I played a game with horrible graphics and stupid people raving about it's goodness, I got a game called Everquest, wasted at least 100$ on it, and it sucked pretty badly. That is the last time I accepted to play a game just because other people liked it.

That's a good way to look at it.

sqrage said:
totally agreed, and the only reason it is the biggest RPG is cuz Blizzard made it so ppl automaticly thought it should be good, and conan think about it this way, JUST cuz U think its good doesnt mean its good
So Blizzard brainwashed people into thinking it was good? Right.

I think it's good, and so do the 1 million players who play it too. Have you even played the game yet? FULLY?

NO MMORPG can be judged from only a few hours of play, because there is much more to it. I actually didn't play WoW for about a month after I got it because at first glance leveling was slow as HELL.

sqrage said:
cuz i know it doesnt take much of a video game to please a 13 year old. :p

What, and your 12? You act like it. And how do you know if you've stated WoW "is a modded wc3"? Just because icons look the same and storylines aspects are carried over does not mean it's even in the same cateogry of an RTS. I mean CMON.

You know, one of the biggest aspects of the game is of how immersed in it you can become. Even at lower levels, calling upon friends and other players to overcome a great difficulty is part of the game. I look at QUALITY games with brand new gameplay and ways to play, and no one plays them. Why? Because they aren't addicting. Blizzard hit it just right and that's what makes them big. New features but with the same addictive playing styles an items. I love the game, but I hate it when people criticize it because it isn't there cup of tea.

Sud said:
World of Warcraft. Had a friend in the beta, who proclaimed the experience to be "one of the biggest pieces of crap he's ever experienced". Keep in mind this is someone who didn't even mind Anarchy Online (one of the most contentless MMRPGs in the business, too bad too because the game did have legitimate promise, but they turned it into a useless cash cow). All the quests were boring "fetch/retrieve" crap, and the zones were bland and uninspired.

Your friend lost all his credability right there.

"fetch/retreive" quests? What,. and the game is ACTUALLY based around quests? Quests are only a way to level and get money/rewards, they aren't supposed to be some grand, brand new way of playing. Uninspired terrain? Again, if I want good terrain and scenery, I'll go play Prince of Persia for 10 minutes then get bored. The game is based around GAMEPLAY, not quests and terrain. WoW is for more hardcore RPG'ers, not someone who is looking for something new.

EDIT ~ Sorry about the tags, I can't seem to find the problem as to why it's doing that.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Right-clicking is hardcore?

Then going to get a drink ten feet away must be something only Superman can do.

I don't care for MMORPGs period. I just think that GW is the best MMORPG I've ever seen and played. Take note that being the "best" says a lot, because it too revolves around constant right and left clicking on the mouse on monsters and waiting for them to die. It just has better all-around quests and crap. The best thing about GW is the missions. Annoying? Yes. Costs a lot of time? Yes. But is it unique and very fun? Yes! There may be some crappy missions but one of my favorite was running around on a battlefield dodging gigantic bull-looking enemies called Charr fixing and setting off catapults and watching those dodged enemies erupt in smoke and flames.

But, from my experiences in Guild Wars, it's as fun as Sud's CoD :D

For me, I get the most entertainment from a challenging program or model to make and then completing it successfully. From games, that entertainment is either very low or mediocre (mediocre being from GW and CoD, very low from Everquest).

One of the amusing things in GW was to find wacky errors (not like that's a reason to spend 50$ but it's a nice bonus :p). I find less now for some reason, but back when I was wandering around as a level 9 guy in the Post-Searing Ascalon, I used to find my way to the weirdest of places. At one time I got stuck on top of one of the gigantic boulders way up high staring down at my allies. One of my allies got on top of the boulder and took a screenie. I still wonder if he displayed it :D

Sud

Reaction score
"fetch/retreive" quests? What,. and the game is ACTUALLY based around quests? Quests are only a way to level and get money/rewards, they aren't supposed to be some grand, brand new way of playing. Uninspired terrain? Again, if I want good terrain and scenery, I'll go play Prince of Persia for 10 minutes then get bored. The game is based around GAMEPLAY, not quests and terrain. WoW is for more hardcore RPG'ers, not someone who is looking for something new.

That of course being what it lacked the most of. Mostly autoaim spells and abilities, and watching movies of WoW I personally would have to agree, there's no gameplay there to be found that isn't in any other mass produced MMORPG

Want a game that has it all? Morrowind. A little dated, 1 player, but it's beautiful, has an awesome story, actually has combat that's not completely autoaim "we do it for you so you can have a little nap whilst grinding" and the nice thing is that when you go explore there aren't 50 newbies camping every given spot, and certainly no Nightelves cyberring in the tram.

Whatever just happened to being able to throw on a backpack, and set out into the world and actually having a chance of finding something other than trees that hasn't been despoiled by the masses?

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Soda said:
Want a game that has it all? Morrowind. A little dated, 1 player, but it's beautiful, has an awesome story, actually has combat that's not completely autoaim "we do it for you so you can have a little nap whilst grinding" and the nice thing is that when you go explore there aren't 50 newbies camping every given spot, and certainly no Nightelves cyberring in the tram.

Morrowind had something new, and I tryed my hardest to get into it, but it wasn't addictive. It seemed a bit slow and a bit overcomplicated, but I did like the feature of playing in First person or third person.

Autoaim is a hack, meaning it's a bannable offense, so you cannot bring that into the game. There is some skill required, and especially as a Warlock, I find myself microing my Warlock and pet, HF'ing them when they get low and running at the right times, while still cutting down health with debuffs.

If you want jackasses, go play D2. They have some of the most godawful players, and WoW is a bit more intelligent. I don't usually find exploiters or jackasses, and most are actually friendly and fun to play PVP. Most want to cut the bulltshit and play, have intelligent conversations about aspects of the game or a part they're trying to overcome, not who's more 1337. If you find someone like that, most players just ignore them.

The tram thing was a very rare occurence, and on a RP server to boot. You can't expect every person to be like you. :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.